Author Topic: 2015 Ryan Zimmerman - adventures at bat & at 1st  (Read 2593 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Mr. First Baseman
« Reply #25: April 20, 2015, 12:43:11 PM »
I just thought it would take longer, and that his right-handedness would be a bigger obstacle trying to cover the hole.

I'm kinda surprised people are surprised by this.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #26: April 20, 2015, 02:39:48 PM »
Ryan Zimmerman makes it look easy.  He's a brilliant first baseman.

He still appears uncomfortable covering 1st base and taking throws.  He certainly has shown no issue with fileding his position on batter balls though...

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #27: April 20, 2015, 02:45:08 PM »
Seems like every lefty would look more comfortable fielding throws.
He still appears uncomfortable covering 1st base and taking throws.  He certainly has shown no issue with fileding his position on batter balls though...

Offline HalfSmokes

Most first basemen have played the position at least in the minors for awhile before you see them- not surprised a guy with only spring training and a handful of games doesn't look perfectly comfortable yet

Offline GburgNatsFan

Hell, his mitt might not even be broken in yet. :D
Most first basemen have played the position at least in the minors for awhile before you see them- not surprised a guy with only spring training and a handful of games doesn't look perfectly comfortable yet

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I have not seen a really good stretch from him. That's actually harder to do than you think.

Offline expos1994

Zimmerman's a ball player. It's no surprise he's looked good at 1st base. He's one of those players that can play anywhere. If it involves a baseball and a glove he can catch it, hit it, throw it... well he doesn't have to throw it anymore. Just catch it and hit it. And he can do that no matter where you put him.

I thought he was great in the outfield last year. He's especially good at diving catches and stops. As he's shown at 3rd, OF, and already at first.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
he plays 1st like a 3rd baseman.  :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

You do have to wonder if he's flexible enough for that.
I have not seen a really good stretch from him. That's actually harder to do than you think.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
he plays 1st like a 3rd baseman.  :)

:thumbs:

Offline GburgNatsFan

:cheers:
Yep. Plays 1B like a 3B. Still has an outstanding first step, great reactions.

Offline whytev

Has anyone been picked off and tagged yet? I don't think I've seen that.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Has anyone been picked off and tagged yet? I don't think I've seen that.

Moore nailed a guy on a pickoff, but that may have been in Spring Training.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
Ryan Zimmerman, Nationals

Zimmerman won a Gold Glove at third base at age 24 and earned a reputation as a wiz at the position. But he underwent shoulder surgery in 2012, and in recent years his throwing had regressed to the point that the Nationals realized a move across the diamond might be the best thing for all concerned. Anthony Rendon's emergence as an All-Star third baseman made it a no-brainer for the Nats to let Adam LaRoche leave through free agency and hand first base to Zimmerman.

The Washington infield is in a major state of flux this spring. Yunel Escobar, a career shortstop, was supposed to switch to second base this season. But Rendon's extended absence with a knee injury has forced manager Matt Williams to play Escobar at third and go with a combination of Dan Uggla and Danny Espinosa at second.

Ironically, the biggest cause for concern thus far in Washington has been the shaky play of shortstop Ian Desmond. He leads the majors with eight errors in 13 games, and he sports a fielding percentage of .857 in 56 chances.

Two scouting takes on Zimmerman:

• "The perception is, 'We'll put this guy at first base, because all he has to do is catch every ball the infielders throw and be a cutoff man,'" said an NL talent evaluator. "Everybody thinks it's easy. Then we saw how Alex Rodriguez looked over there. He's not a klutz, and he looked bad that game he played against Boston.

"Zimmerman is such a good athlete, he's going to figure out all the nuances over there. Because of his reactionary ability, he's going to make that play on the down-and-in pitch to a lefty hitter where the ball gets down the right-field line past a lot of guys. And the ball in the hole isn't as prevalent now anyway, because everyone is playing shifts on lefties.

"He works hard at it every day. I saw him in [batting practice] and he was working on holding the runner and bouncing off. He turned double plays. Somebody was out in the middle of the infield behind the cage hitting one-hoppers that he had to scoop in the dirt. I can see him being a huge attribute over there."

• "He's a terrific infielder at any position," said an AL scout. "The only concern I have is how healthy his shoulder really is. Spring training might not have been a good barometer to measure that, but I didn't really see him unload a lot with his throws. I watched Jeff Bagwell go through this type of injury and it was painful. The throwing is the only concern I'd ever have there. He's picked up the footwork and the nuances very quick. But the arm is a little bit of a caution flag for me." The early verdict: It's a small sample size, but the early returns are exceptional. According to Baseball Info Solutions, Zimmerman contributed seven "Good Fielding Plays" in Washington's first 12 games. First basemen typically record those plays by catching difficult throws from teammates. But Zimmerman registered four good plays on ground balls, one on a line drive and two on pop flies. And he's already saved one game with a diving stop of a Cesar Hernandez grounder in a 4-3, 10-inning victory over Philadelphia.

Even if Zimmerman's throwing issues at third didn't nudge him across the diamond, the consensus is that he would have handled whatever the Nationals threw his way with aplomb. He's made his transition easier by embracing it and keeping his standards high.

"He looks very comfortable over there," said Nationals broadcaster F.P. Santangelo. "I know it's a cliché, but he looks like he's been playing over there his whole life. I don't think any of us expected anything different."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12729030/breaking-how-five-players-changed-positions-faring

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

Offline whytev

Other than making Rendon an all-star last year, this article is right on point.

Missing the word "calibre."

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Zman is in the zone now. Please move him to the three hole.

Offline APBA Baseball

I am really impressed with him at 1B.

Offline WhiteWhale

he stretched to finish off Desmond's great play last night and get the ball in time for the runner. Making great plays on batted balls and starting to get the nuances on the other side of playing first as well.

GG at two positions is a short list in history

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I was surprised to see his average is barely above Mendoza line. He's looked really good at the plate.

I need to follow my own rule not to look at stats until at least 20 or 25 games in.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I was surprised to see his average is barely above Mendoza line. He's looked really good at the plate.

I need to follow my own rule not to look at stats until at least 20 or 25 games in.

Ryan does this. He takes a bit to get warmed up. The next stage is you see him stinging the ball to CF or RF. Then the raking starts and he carries the team for a month. Then he gets hurt and goes to the DL. Then the viscous circle starts all over again.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Ryan does this. He takes a bit to get warmed up. The next stage is you see him stinging the ball to CF or RF. Then the raking starts and he carries the team for a month. Then he gets hurt and goes to the DL. Then the viscous circle starts all over again.

So this circle will have a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid?

I can dig it...  ;)

Offline madj55

Can't believe that ball he smoked to the gap last night didn't find grass. Jon Jay can go get it.