Author Topic: Riots in London  (Read 2378 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Riots in London
« Reply #25: August 08, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »
Not sayin anything bad about said gutter, you might have very good company. Just people can really suck. Guess that's why I want to see that movie, bout time humans get their 'azzes' kicked. :)

Time for the POlice to to bust some heads.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #26: August 08, 2011, 10:14:20 PM »
The British army got pretty good at dealing with urban unrest in Ulster.  Just sayin'...

Offline blue911

« Reply #27: August 08, 2011, 10:18:10 PM »
The British army got pretty good at dealing with urban unrest in Ulster.  Just sayin'...

Or they could give Wilson Goode a call

• babble on
« Reply #28: August 08, 2011, 10:24:12 PM »
Or Assad
Or they could give Wilson Goode a call

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #29: August 09, 2011, 04:54:04 AM »
Spurs do stink. 

Signed, Arsenal fan

:lol:

Reading the morning news. Violence spreads to Birmingham, Bristol, and Liverpool. Whoever said Brixton likes to riot got that one right. But there is this inspiring story:

Lizzy Davies is with a couple of dozen people who are standing with gloves in their hands and binbags in their pockets outside Hackney town hall. She reports:

They've come from all over London for the #riotcleanup, which has been publicised on Twitter this morning.

But they've come up against an unexpected problem: the clean-up's already been done. The streets in the area have been hosed down, the glass swept up and bins re-erected in their proper places.

"It feels a bit like we've got an overefficient council," said Andrew Knight, who had come from Finsbury Park via Homebase in order to try to help out.

"I guess I felt it's not good enough not to do it. I've lived in London for 10 years and finally my moral conscience has woken up," he laughed.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2011/aug/09/london-riots-violence-looting-live

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #30: August 09, 2011, 05:01:09 AM »
My mom wrote me an email. "No wonder you did not want to take your hoodies to England."

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #31: August 09, 2011, 06:27:17 AM »
Reason not to live in Croydon

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #32: August 09, 2011, 08:48:36 AM »
You ought to carve a Jack O'Lantern like that when you get home.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #33: August 09, 2011, 02:31:17 PM »
Wayne rooney pleaded for the riots to stop and asked why you'd destroy your own country. Stopped short of telling them to riot elsewhere

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #34: August 09, 2011, 03:01:23 PM »
seems quasi-relevant:

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #35: August 09, 2011, 04:12:40 PM »
Just so you guys know, I'm okay and safe on a secure college campus. My neighborhood is largely calm, but my corner grocery store's glass front doors were completely destroyed this evening and there was a cruel arc of glass shards across the sidewalk.

I hear lots of sirens. Until tonight, the problem areas were all in very far away bits of London, but apparently the neighborhood next to mine (Bethnal Green) is now a flashpoint.

Stay safe!

:lol:

Reading the morning news. Violence spreads to Birmingham, Bristol, and Liverpool. Whoever said Brixton likes to riot got that one right. But there is this inspiring story:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2011/aug/09/london-riots-violence-looting-live

For some reason, I had angry Clash  songs like "The Guns of Brixton" running through my head when I heard about the riots.

Thanks for the inspiring story, though. I'm glad not all of the Brits have gone mad!  Hopefully things will quiet down tonight with more police on the streets.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: August 09, 2011, 04:58:12 PM »

For some reason, I had angry Clash  songs like "The Guns of Brixton" running through my head when I heard about the riots.

Gee, I was thinking of White Riot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Riot
The song is short and intense, drawing influence from the Ramones' style of three chords played very fast. Mick Jones counts off "1-2-3-4" at the start of the album version (in the single version, it instead begins with the sound of a police siren).

Lyrically, the song is about class economics and race and thus proved controversial: many people thought it was advocating a kind of race war.[1] Rather, lyricist Joe Strummer was trying to appeal to white youths to find a worthy cause to riot, as he felt blacks in the UK already had. It contains a positive message in the lines "Are you taking over / Or are you taking orders? / Are you going backwards / Or are you going forwards?"

The song was written after Joe Strummer and bassist Paul Simonon were involved in the riots at the Notting Hill Carnival of 1976.[1]

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #37: August 10, 2011, 06:49:11 AM »
Last night was very, very quiet. Trouble was reported elsewhere in England, but London was silent. Might have something to do with the 16,000 cops deployed, as many as 9 officers per city block in some areas.

Thanks for the inspiring story, though. I'm glad not all of the Brits have gone mad!  Hopefully things will quiet down tonight with more police on the streets.

Here's a great photo for you.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #38: August 10, 2011, 07:35:11 AM »
Do they think the Nats are going to sweep Chicago?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #39: August 10, 2011, 09:50:51 AM »
The Arctic Monkeys' new single is going to be delayed because looters burned down the Sony music and film warehouse. If you're into English alternative/metal music, about a hundred record labels lost most of their stock in the fire.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #40: August 10, 2011, 12:08:08 PM »
Do they think the Nats are going to sweep Chicago?

:funny:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #41: August 10, 2011, 05:27:07 PM »
Very, very quiet town tonight, might be back to normal!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #42: August 10, 2011, 06:48:08 PM »
The calm before the storm?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #43: August 10, 2011, 07:19:02 PM »
The calm before the storm?

Nah, everybody's got their kit, time to party.

• babble on
« Reply #44: August 10, 2011, 11:35:54 PM »
They are just warming up for the a) London Olympics, and b) 2012 UEFA Euro Cup.  Those people who bought million pound lofts in the east end should probably consider some 3/4 inch plyboard for the floor to ceiling windows.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #45: August 11, 2011, 02:00:04 PM »
Spurs-Everton postponed, all other weekend fixtures (including Fulham and QPR home matches) to kick off as originally scheduled: http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2417110,00.html

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #46: August 12, 2011, 06:09:37 AM »
Levi's jeans had been running a TV ad featuring a line of riot police being stared down by a sole, "brave" Levi's-wearing dude. They've only just now awkwardly realized that they should probably stop using the ad.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #47: August 12, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »
There is one Levi's marketing executive who will be fired

Levi's jeans had been running a TV ad featuring a line of riot police being stared down by a sole, "brave" Levi's-wearing dude. They've only just now awkwardly realized that they should probably stop using the ad.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48: August 12, 2011, 08:57:34 AM »
They should run a version of the commercial involving the "flash mob moved to 12:30" message that the guy gets too late, only instead of dancing in Grand Central Station, he should be throwing a rock at Harrods and trying to clean out a window display.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #49: August 12, 2011, 12:01:05 PM »
They should run a version of the commercial involving the "flash mob moved to 12:30" message that the guy gets too late, only instead of dancing in Grand Central Station, he should be throwing a rock at Harrods and trying to clean out a window display.

:rofl: