Author Topic: Galaragga's Imperfect Game  (Read 3228 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: Galarraga's 28 out perfect game
« Reply #25: June 03, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »
Jim Joyce's Wiki page has been locked due to over-vandalism. :lol:

How it looks right now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Joyce

'This page is currently protected from editing due to vandalism.
This protection is not an endorsement of the current version. See the protection policy and protection log for more details. Please discuss any changes on the talk page; you may use the {{editprotected}} template to ask an administrator to make the edit if it is supported by consensus. You may also request that this page be unprotected.'

Offline Section214

« Reply #26: June 03, 2010, 10:30:16 AM »
Summation, No they can not overturn it. It would just f too many things up. i.e. a potential Jason Donald 57 game hit streak (hahaha) or other teams wanting calls overturned i.e. US! In addition, this is one of the 5-10 worst calls I have ever seen and it took away a perfecto which is just unreal. Finally, NO INSTANT REPLAY, I hate it in football and I would hate it here. Bad calls are part of the game, u win some, u lose some but everyone (Redskins withstanding) evens out in the end.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #27: June 03, 2010, 11:08:08 AM »
Looks like they're considering overturning it.

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball was still deciding Thursday morning whether to review the umpire's blown call that cost Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga a perfect game.

Commissioner Bud Selig has the power to reverse umpire Jim Joyce's missed call that came with two outs in the ninth inning Wednesday night in Detroit. Joyce ruled Cleveland's Jason Donald safe, then admitted he got it wrong.

Selig would likely consult with his top advisers before making such a ruling. St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa says the call should be overturned.

Some interesting precedent:

In 1991, a panel headed by then-commissioner Fay Vincent took a look at the record book and decided to throw out 50 no-hitters for various reasons.

Always be careful when playing with Pandora's box.

Also, this should be interesting:

Joyce was scheduled to be back at work Thursday afternoon, umpiring at home plate in the game between the Tigers and Indians.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #28: June 03, 2010, 11:13:04 AM »
If they do it... how fast can the Nationals protest Bill Hohn's non strike three call?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #29: June 03, 2010, 11:14:42 AM »
Yeah, that actually decided the outcome of a game, unlike Joyce's quarkup.

If they do it... how fast can the Nationals protest Bill Hohn's non strike three call?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #30: June 03, 2010, 11:15:55 AM »
This is a totally political call.  I don't think they'll change a call that changes the outcome of a game.  the Tigers won regardless of whether he's given the perfect game or not.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #31: June 03, 2010, 11:17:14 AM »
But, if he chooses to do so... it totally opens Pandora's Box to all the blown calls throughout history. How could Selig just stop at one game? Every team that had a legit gripe with a call would deserve to have them changed... and it would be a total mess.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #32: June 03, 2010, 11:19:25 AM »
But, if he chooses to do so... it totally opens Pandora's Box to all the blown calls throughout history. How could Selig just stop at one game? Every team that had a legit gripe with a call would deserve to have them changed... and it would be a total mess.

Eh, It would cause a mess if people actually complain about it. Last night was one for the record books. I dont care if it gets turned or not because we know he did it but it was bogus. I doubt they would go through with our game since it was blown as well. If they were to reverse the perfect game call, it would be to please all of MLB, not just one fanbase. Id be cool to see them overturn the Hohn call though. I just hope this introduces a replay system. A NFL "challenge" equivalent atleast.

« Reply #33: June 03, 2010, 11:20:49 AM »
To solve this whole problem:

-Don't reverse the call.
-Fire Jim Joyce or make him a beer vendor.
-Move on

I can't believe this is the issue at the center of the baseball universe right now.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #34: June 03, 2010, 11:25:03 AM »
I can't believe this is the issue at the center of the baseball universe right now.

You can't? :|

What else would be?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #35: June 03, 2010, 11:26:51 AM »
Can they change the non-check swing ball call the other night against Berkman?  That freakin stings.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #36: June 03, 2010, 11:27:11 AM »

Not even Larry Bird could stop at just one.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #37: June 03, 2010, 11:29:55 AM »

exactly.  This doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things.  We all know Galarraga was perfect, and history will judge him as such.

Online imref

« Reply #38: June 03, 2010, 11:31:36 AM »
To solve this whole problem:

-Don't reverse the call.
-Fire Jim Joyce or make him a beer vendor.
-Move on

More so than any other sport, baseball pays attention to individual records and accomplishments.  This wouldn't matter if it were football, hockey, or basketball (I'm hard pressed to think of any equivalent in any other sport). 

Offline eckseid

« Reply #39: June 03, 2010, 11:41:38 AM »

I can understand where you're coming from, but it has no impact on how the game ended. The guy deserves to be in the record books for throwing a perfect game. Had the Indians come back and won, then you'd have a point. But this call didn't do that. All it did was add an extra AB to the game, which resulted in an out.

I honestly don't think any team would come out and complain about every bad call. They know the guy deserves the perfect game.

Edit: I was never a person who wanted a replay system implemented into the game of baseball, but after last night, it's time.

« Reply #40: June 03, 2010, 11:53:12 AM »

What else would be?

Didn't A-Roid drop a deuce yesterday?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #41: June 03, 2010, 01:11:19 PM »

What else would be?

Certainly not a near-perfect game being freaked up by a terrible umpiring call!  That's such a mundane an frequent occurrence.

I actually feel kinda bad for Jim Joyce now.  I've never heard an umpire genuinely regret a mistake so much.  They're usually total egomaniacs.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #42: June 03, 2010, 01:13:57 PM »

Er...  he did what? :shock: :lol:

Online imref

« Reply #43: June 03, 2010, 01:31:46 PM »
GM gave Galarraga a Corvette as a gift.

Online imref

« Reply #44: June 03, 2010, 01:32:03 PM »

in the upper deck no less. :-)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #45: June 03, 2010, 01:34:53 PM »
Tigers have earned a lot of respect from me today.

:clap:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #46: June 03, 2010, 02:20:14 PM »
It just sucks for everyone involded, Joyce will be tarnished with this for the rest of his career, Galarraga doesn't get his perfect game, and baseball gets a black eye

Online imref

« Reply #47: June 03, 2010, 02:59:17 PM »
per olberman - no reversal, decision stands.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #48: June 03, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
First of all Jim Joyce is no Bill Hohn.

Secondly, it might be possible that Gallaraga benefits more long-term. He's more well known because of the bad call, I'd argue. No one will forget it, and otherwise Halliday's PG would overshadow it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Jim-Joyce-Armando-Galarraga-make-up-after-blown-call-060310?GT1=39002

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #49: June 03, 2010, 06:01:01 PM »
watch the video of him bring out the lineup cards.