Author Topic: Harper #3 Overall Prospect  (Read 7329 times)

Offline ZIM4MVP

Harper #3 Overall Prospect
« Topic Start: January 25, 2011, 10:28:24 PM »
Was listed as #2 OF, but is #3 overall behind Angels OF Mike Trout & Rays P Jeremy Hellickson.  I have a feeling we see the kid in DC this year.  Bad news is he's the only Nats prospect in Top 50  :icon_frown:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110124&content_id=16493480&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110125&content_id=16498664&vkey=news_was&c_id=was

Offline UMDNats

Re: Harper #3 Overall Prospect
« Reply #1: January 25, 2011, 10:32:05 PM »
He'll move to #1 as he lights up the minors.

I expect Cole to break the top 50 after this year.

I don't consider guys like Espinosa, Desmond, Storen, or Strasburg as "prospects," even though they are all like 24 and younger and playing at the ML level.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2: January 26, 2011, 12:06:15 AM »
Was listed as #2 OF, but is #3 overall behind Angels OF Mike Trout & Rays P Jeremy Hellickson.  I have a feeling we see the kid in DC this year.  Bad news is he's the only Nats prospect in Top 50  :icon_frown:

Don't despair.  I've seen Espinosa, Ramos, and Norris ranked somewhat high on various lists.  I think Cole and Solis are pretty highly regarded as well.  We could see Cole in the top 50 at some point, and Solis in the top 75 or so if he doesn't just jump up to the majors too quickly.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #3: January 26, 2011, 12:26:55 AM »
Here's the breakdown of players represented by team:

0 - OAK, MIL, AZ, FLA, NYM
1 - LAA, HOU, STL, CHC, LAD, SF, CLE, WAS, SD, BOS, DET, CHW
2 - BAL, PHI, PIT, TEX, MIN
3 - TOR, ATL, SEA, TB, CIN, COL, NYY
4 - TB
5 - NONE
6 - KC

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #4: January 26, 2011, 12:29:32 AM »

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110124&content_id=16493480&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110125&content_id=16498664&vkey=news_was&c_id=was

As Knorr said I wouldn't be too disappointed in the outcome of that list. Norris and Espinosa will both be in the top 100 and Ramos will make some lists as well. Plus I'd pay more attention to Baseball America and Sickels top 100 lists than Mayo's.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #5: January 26, 2011, 12:41:12 AM »
He's only that low because he hasn't done anything yet (except that damn impressive AFL stint).  If he doesn't exhaust his rookie status this year he will be the #1 prospect on everyone's board going into next year.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #6: January 26, 2011, 01:13:33 AM »
KC has 6? Damn.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #7: January 26, 2011, 01:26:52 AM »
KC has 6? Damn.

They have one of the most ridiculously stacked farm systems in a long time.  Even crazier is that most of their really great prospects are close to the majors.

They could actually field a good team within the next 3 years.  It's about damn time.

The same can't be said of the Pirates and Orioles. :|

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #8: January 26, 2011, 01:29:40 AM »
They have one of the most ridiculously stacked farm systems in a long time.  Even crazier is that most of their really great prospects are close to the majors.

They could actually field a good team within the next 3 years.  It's about damn time.

Or, unfortunately the Nats, whose farm system is average, at best.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #9: January 26, 2011, 01:33:31 AM »
KC has 6? Damn.
I LOVE where KC is going. They've got Tampa Bay like upside. I'll be very interested to watch as guys like Moustakas, Collins, and Montgomery start trickling in to the majors next season, followed in 2012 by a massive wave of prospects like Colon, Hosmer, and their army of starters. I'll also keep a close eye on Alcides "It looks like I was highly overrated by ESPN" Escobar.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #10: January 26, 2011, 01:39:27 AM »

Sadly for the Orioles, this year may be the best one they have in awhile... then after this everyone gets older.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #11: January 26, 2011, 01:40:33 AM »
They've made considerable progress, though, IMO.  It's in considerably better shape than it was 3 or 4 years ago. 

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #12: January 26, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »

Dayton Moore will trade them all away for Wil Nieves and Ryan Langerhans.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #13: January 26, 2011, 01:41:55 AM »

Better than being the worst by a large margin which is what it was prior to Rizzo coming on board.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #14: January 26, 2011, 01:44:47 AM »
Better than being the worst by a large margin which is what it was prior to Rizzo coming on board.

This. I looked through that media guide book, or whatever it was, and they showed the top 10 prospects for each year since being here... 05 and 06 looked soooo crappy.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #15: January 26, 2011, 01:50:40 AM »
This. I looked through that media guide book, or whatever it was, and they showed the top 10 prospects for each year since being here... 05 and 06 looked soooo crappy.

Decimated system + Bowden ineptitude = not getting better. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: January 26, 2011, 08:52:25 AM »
Dayton Moore will trade them all away for Wil Nieves and Ryan Langerhans.

They're just prospects.  Nieves and Langerhans are proven major leaguers.  That's what every team should want, right?    :roll:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #17: January 26, 2011, 08:56:19 AM »
I think Christina Kahrl made the point that the Gorzelanny trade is an indication of how far the system has come.  Yes, he has his problems, but he had a decent season and a case can be made that his lack of progress at Pittsburgh was due to abuse.  As she pointed out, we had enough in the system below the crown jewel level in order to trade minor leaguers for major league help.  We really could not do that before this year.  most of our deals went the other way (think the various Stanton deals, as well as the Livo and the Rauch deals under JimBo).

Personally, I'm a bit surprised that Mayo did not have Norris on his list.  There are quite a few catchers, and I respect Mayo's work, but this seems to be an outlier.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #18: January 26, 2011, 09:26:22 AM »
I completely agree.  But we still have a ways to go.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #19: January 26, 2011, 09:28:44 AM »
Why is Chapman still a prospect?

MLB Network is showing the countdown btw, it's nice to see a little film on some of these kids.

Offline blue911

« Reply #20: January 26, 2011, 09:30:12 AM »
Why is Chapman still a prospect?

MLB Network is showing the countdown btw, it's nice to see a little film on some of these kids.

He still qualifies as a rookie. BTW, Mayo doesn't think he'll cut it as a starter.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #21: January 26, 2011, 09:38:17 AM »
He still qualifies as a rookie. BTW, Mayo doesn't think he'll cut it as a starter.

I don't either.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #22: January 26, 2011, 10:44:20 AM »
I LOVE where KC is going. They've got Tampa Bay like upside. I'll be very interested to watch as guys like Moustakas, Collins, and Montgomery start trickling in to the majors next season, followed in 2012 by a massive wave of prospects like Colon, Hosmer, and their army of starters. I'll also keep a close eye on Alcides "It looks like I was highly overrated by ESPN" Escobar.

I'm not enamored at all with KC.  Even the best of prospects often run into problems.  Matt Weiters, for example, was supposed to Buster Posey before anyone had ever heard of Buster Posey.  KC will do well if over half of their high end prospects pan out. 

If 4 out of the 6 prospects they have on this list become good major leaguers, that's a decent ratio.  That leaves them almost halfway towards fielding a major league lineup.  And they've lost how many games over past several years?

I'll pass on the 'KC model.'

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #23: January 26, 2011, 02:22:51 PM »
I'm not enamored at all with KC.  Even the best of prospects often run into problems.  Matt Weiters, for example, was supposed to Buster Posey before anyone had ever heard of Buster Posey.  KC will do well if over half of their high end prospects pan out. 

If 4 out of the 6 prospects they have on this list become good major leaguers, that's a decent ratio.  That leaves them almost halfway towards fielding a major league lineup.  And they've lost how many games over past several years?

I'll pass on the 'KC model.'
But they are also deep enough in the farm system at all levels to make trades as guys develop to add missing pieces where guys didn't pan out.  Honestly, they are in a pretty enviable position for a rebuilding team.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #24: January 26, 2011, 02:23:56 PM »
They've been doormats for 20 years.  No thanks.