Author Topic: #1 commercial that makes you want to smash your tv  (Read 105794 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Tamilflu

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
The Acura commercial where the guys wakes up and drives his stupid new car over and over and over...also the one where the parents are freaking out and waking their kids up super early so they can go out into their fake-snow yard and see the beautiful new SUV in their driveway while the mom shrieks "thanks Santa!!"
Basically all of the car-as-a-present for Christmas commercials get on my last flippin' nerve. 

Offline HalfSmokes

I've always wondered if couples actually get each other cars for presents- my wife would kill me if I surprised her with a present that came with a three year note

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Exactly.
I've always wondered if couples actually get each other cars for presents- my wife would kill me if I surprised her with a present that came with a three year note

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Solution:  "Straight cash, homie."  :D

Offline HalfSmokes

Solution:  "Straight cash, homie."  :D

Not if I can get them to loan me money at less than one percent

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

In which case the spousal unit shouldn't take issue with it...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

But if you got straight cash you can normally get the equivalent in discount up front.  If not, sure, take the 1% for as long as you can get it.

Offline HalfSmokes

But if you got straight cash you can normally get the equivalent in discount up front.  If not, sure, take the 1% for as long as you can get it.

We tried with the last car- got the best price we could then offered cash, it made no difference so we went with the  Subaru loan- for .9% apr I just assume keep the cash in my account

Offline Natsinpwc

We tried with the last car- got the best price we could then offered cash, it made no difference so we went with the  Subaru loan- for .9% apr I just assume keep the cash in my account
Even at 2-3 % it's better to get the loan and put your cash into your retirement account or pay down other debts (e.g., mortgage).

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Even at 2-3 % it's better to get the loan and put your cash into your retirement account or pay down other debts (e.g., mortgage).

But mortgage interest is tax deductable and consumer debt isn't...so it does depend on what your interest rates may be.  And if you're only paying off the back end of a 15 or 30 year loan, it really makes little difference.

Two things in life I really hate...climbing ladders and paying on a car loan...

Offline Natsinpwc

But mortgage interest is tax deductable and consumer debt isn't...so it does depend on what your interest rates may be.  And if you're only paying off the back end of a 15 or 30 year loan, it really makes little difference.

Two things in life I really hate...climbing ladders and paying on a car loan...
You are right about the backend. I generally meant making extra principal payments or paying off those high rate credit cards.

Offline dcpatti

My husband bought me a motorcycle which was kind of jaw-dropping, but in his defense he is trying to build credit history (he's only been in the US for about 12 years so his credit is like a teenager's) so having a $150/month note is not a bad thing.

I still think he's insane for spending that kind of money on a gift though.

In his defense, he didn't fall into the "three months' salary" trap when he picked out my engagement ring so I will let him slide as long as he doesn't make it a habit.

Offline mitlen

My husband bought me a motorcycle which was kind of jaw-dropping, but in his defense he is trying to build credit history (he's only been in the US for about 12 years so his credit is like a teenager's) so having a $150/month note is not a bad thing.

I still think he's insane for spending that kind of money on a gift though.

Keep an eye on "your" bike.    He'll be out and about on nice days.   He'll "break it in" for ya.    :)

Offline dcpatti

From your lips to gods ears really. I'd love that. I've got another bike and I'd love to go riding with him but he ain't having any of it. He is strictly a four-wheels kind of guy. I overlook that when needed :)

Offline dcpatti

Back on topic... Commercial that makes me want to smash my tv... Any of the Sonic commercials. Those two guys make me feel all stabby.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Then check your brakes regularly. He may be trying to get past the need for building credit by cashing in on your life insurance. :)

From your lips to gods ears really. I'd love that. I've got another bike and I'd love to go riding with him but he ain't having any of it. He is strictly a four-wheels kind of guy. I overlook that when needed :)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
That godawful Southwest Airlines ad with the guy singing that overused song.  Needs force choked.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

He was probably bad and is feeling guilty, so he'll be nice for a while.  Get as much out of him as you can while the feeling lasts.    :twisted:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
"Get out of the way junior, you're blocking the logo"

Offline Optics

Three words:

Daily

Fantasy

Sports

Offline mitlen

Geico ... Peter Pan.   It's time to move on.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
I've had it with that commercial as well.  Absolutely no product information - just an attempt to keep the brand name in the consumer's mind.  It's enough to make me find another auto insurance company.

Geico ... Peter Pan.   It's time to move on.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
That GEICO campaign is so hit or miss.  I still enjoy The Final Countdown.

Speaking of music and commercials, when do you suppose the Navy FCU will team up with the Village People? 

It's such a natural, but so unlikely.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Three words:

Daily

Fantasy

Sports

...gagggggggg...way, way overplayed beyond any level of tolerance...it's the reason I've stopped watching the NFL pre-match shows on Sundays - one such recent show was little more than a 2hr infomercial for DraftKings.