Author Topic: Nationals @ Dodgers, Game 1  (Read 12310 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: Nationals @ Dodgers, Game 1
« Reply #300: August 07, 2010, 01:39:41 AM »
Maxwell may be worth keeping around as a strict 5th OF'er (pinch runner, defensive replacement)

Only problem with that though, is if the team needs an extra pitcher or another position player, Maxwell would have to be the first player to go.

You cost yourselves more games by not having an extra PH available when it's an extra innings game and you've just got Maxwell on the bench than you win games by putting Maxwell in CF in the 8th or 9th. Our defense isn't that bad that Maxwell vs. Someone else equals the difference between the game. Especially when we are already destroying one bench spot now with Nieves since we have to have a second catcher. You simply cannot have two near guaranteed outs on your bench for their defense alone.

Besides, I would argue that it is more valuable both now and longterm to have Ramos than the defense Maxwell provides. If we are going to burn a roster spot, it benefits us more to burn it with a third catcher in Ramos than the limited defensive replacement in the last inning Maxwell provides.

And it's such a shame since Maxwell is so unbelievably superior in every aspect but offense. Unfortunately, unless you are a pitcher, you cannot be a baseball player without that piece no matter how good you are in every other part of the game.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #301: August 07, 2010, 01:41:01 AM »
One night around '53, my Dad got home from work -- he worked rotating shifts. I'd been watching the Nats out in Chicago. He found me in he living room with my arm around the dog, and the WTTG test-pattern on TV.

Good night, one and all.

Winning a game is fun.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #302: August 07, 2010, 02:42:39 AM »
Haha linty not much hatorade being drank around here tonight. 

Couple things:

Dunn - have to re-sign him.  As charlie and dave alluded to his homers come in bunches and they really pick up the team.  Not gonna find a better slugger, no excuse not to sign him.  LAC will have a field day with them if they dont ink the man.

Maxwell - shame his bat is killing him, his speed and glove are impressive.  Def a late innings replacement if he can ever start hitting.

Gonzalez - still don't think he is a regular but a good sub with solid glove.

Desmond - kid is really heating up and his glove is looking better.  I truly think he has the chance to be something special.

Lannan - okay the 4th was a rough patch, but let's be honest here how many of you all thought to yourself vintage lannan after the first 3.  And hey he ended up bouncing back and his defense backed him up.  He is a 4th/5th starter and his line the last two games (and three seasons) show that.

Bullpen - amazing how much better it is this year.  Burnett, the more he works, the better he gets.  Clippard is great when he establishes first pitch fastball for strike.  Storen is our guy for closer.

Listened to charlie and dave until the 6th inning when I got to watch the game @ hotel (and hooters ftw).  Go nats let's sweep.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #303: August 07, 2010, 11:59:52 AM »
Can anyone remember a player hitting the fair pole TWICE in one game?  Wow, just wow.  Love the audible gasp from the crowd following the CRACK of the bat.  Huge game for Dunn.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #304: August 07, 2010, 12:48:34 PM »
Dunn didn't hit the pole twice last night.  The first one hit the base of the stadium club on the base of the 3rd deck.  It went well over the pole.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #305: August 07, 2010, 01:37:03 PM »
Dunn didn't hit the pole twice last night.  The first one hit the base of the stadium club on the base of the 3rd deck.  It went well over the pole.

How do you know?  You couldn't see it on the replay, but Dibble commented toward the end of the replay that it hit the pole, so I was assuming that's what happened to cause it to carom back so sharply acute right.

Online blue911

« Reply #306: August 07, 2010, 01:42:37 PM »
How do you know?  You couldn't see it on the replay, but Dibble commented toward the end of the replay that it hit the pole, so I was assuming that's what happened to cause it to carom back so sharply acute right.

Isn't Dibble the guy that can't read the pitch track correctly?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #307: August 07, 2010, 01:44:03 PM »

The first ball was listed as 465 feet. Obviously whoever tracked the ball must of seen it hit something other than the foul poll.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #308: August 07, 2010, 01:45:03 PM »
I'm going with what Vin Scully said.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #309: August 07, 2010, 01:45:29 PM »

:blah:

Well, I'm open to any evidence to the contrary.  Here's what Boble Adson had to say:

In the first inning, with Ian Desmond and Ryan Zimmerman on base, Dunn took a 3-2 fastball and hit the right-field foul pole. If it didn't hit the pole, the ball would have traveled an estimated 460 feet.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #310: August 07, 2010, 01:45:59 PM »

This.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #311: August 07, 2010, 02:03:25 PM »
And from the Dodgers' MLB.com beat writer Ken Gurnick:

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100806&content_id=13112714&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

Four batters into the game, the Dodgers trailed by three runs. With one out in the first, Ian Desmond singled off Kershaw's foot, Ryan Zimmerman walked and Dunn launched a 3-2 fastball that clipped the right-field foul pole for his 29th home run. Had it not hit the pole, it was estimated to land in the Loge Level 460 feet away.

"I don't care about home runs if they're solo," said Kershaw. "What's really frustrating is three-run home runs don't give you much of a chance to come back. When no one's on base, it's no big deal. Walks put people in front, singles put people in front of the home runs and it's pretty much impossible to come back."

Dunn hit No. 30 in the third inning, another off the right-field foul pole on an 0-1 slider after a leadoff walk to Desmond and a single to right by Zimmerman. "It's no secret. I got behind in the count and he's looking to do one thing and he did it," Kershaw said of Dunn. "He's a great hitter. That said, I've got to execute and I didn't do it. He did what he's supposed to do."