Author Topic: Buster Posey injured  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Buster Posey injured
« Topic Start: May 26, 2011, 10:35:22 AM »
Buster Posey was injured pretty seriously last night during a play at the plate. Looks like he probably has a badly broken ankle or worse. While this is terrible, it's almost as bad though that now there's a call for something like banning catchers from blocking the plate.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011-05-26/buster-posey-injury-ankle-san-francisco-giants

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Re: Buster Posey injured
« Reply #1: May 26, 2011, 11:11:21 AM »
Terrible news.  I hope he heals well and I wish him the best. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2: May 26, 2011, 11:25:18 AM »
Phuck, my fantasy team is going down the tubes.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3: May 26, 2011, 11:33:41 AM »
While this is terrible, it's almost as bad though that now there's a call for something like banning catchers from blocking the plate.

That's only from his agent... who's acting like a spoiled brat that just lost their meal ticket.

It'll blow over.

Offline APBA Baseball

« Reply #4: May 26, 2011, 11:40:09 AM »
he isn't saying you can't block the plate, he is asking for the baserunner not to be able to plow into the catcher. It is idiotic for him to suggest this. He wants to change baseball because his guy got hurt. You think he'd be whining if his client was the baserunner and he knocked out a dodgers' catcher? No way.

Incidentally...a SFG reporter has this on twitter...note it does say UNofficial

AmyGGiants Amy Gutierrez
Unofficial update: #sfgiants Chris Stewart and Brandon Belt called up. Ford to D.L. Posey has broken leg and torn ligaments.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #5: May 26, 2011, 11:45:30 AM »
If that injury report is correct, he's done for the year, right?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #6: May 26, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »
he isn't saying you can't block the plate, he is asking for the baserunner not to be able to plow into the catcher. It is idiotic for him to suggest this. He wants to change baseball because his guy got hurt. You think he'd be whining if his client was the baserunner and he knocked out a dodgers' catcher? No way.

Absolutely agree.

I hope he issues a retraction in the future. It's just a stupid thing to suggest.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #7: May 26, 2011, 11:47:05 AM »
If that injury report is correct, he's done for the year, right?
Sounds horribly painful

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #8: May 26, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
Sounds horribly painful

Bad technique blocking the plate will do that to you.

Offline APBA Baseball

« Reply #9: May 26, 2011, 11:50:28 AM »
it is also the problem with having your franchise player as your catcher.

EDIT TO ADD:

and who else thinks that next year Posey's primary position will be 3B or LF or RF ?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #10: May 26, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »
it is also the problem with having your franchise player as your catcher.

Minty bat signal?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #11: May 26, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »
nd who else thinks that next year Posey's primary position will be 3B or LF or RF ?

I'm guessing 1B.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #12: May 26, 2011, 12:30:25 PM »
broken leg, torn ligaments.

4th round draft pick for me in my money league (zimm #2, Johnson #3).

Not looking good.

Offline APBA Baseball

« Reply #13: May 26, 2011, 12:30:32 PM »
won't be 1B because thats the only place they can play their young guy Brandon Belt...and I can't see them trading him.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #14: May 26, 2011, 12:34:59 PM »
won't be 1B because thats the only place they can play their young guy Brandon Belt...and I can't see them trading him.

Duh, totally forgot about that.  See what happens when I actually do work instead of obsessively reading Baseball Reference? :P

Offline natstime

« Reply #15: May 26, 2011, 02:34:44 PM »
I hate the marlins

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #16: May 26, 2011, 02:57:26 PM »
they could be interested in pudge (or maybe even flores)?  :shrug:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #17: May 26, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »
This sucks. I really like Posey. I also have him on my fantasy team but it sucks to see young players get hurt (like Strasburg), well anyone for that matter. I do have Buck as my backup lol.

Offline natstime

« Reply #18: May 26, 2011, 08:09:08 PM »
No retaliation from the Giants today.  Marlins win 1-0

Offline imref

« Reply #19: May 26, 2011, 11:39:32 PM »
Duh, totally forgot about that.  See what happens when I actually do work instead of obsessively reading Baseball Reference? :P

they could move Belt to RF - he couldn't be worse than Huff.

Offline imref

« Reply #20: May 26, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
CBS Sports says Posey could only be out 6-8 weeks.

News: Contrary to reports before he underwent an MRI, the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Giants C Buster Posey will be out at least six to eight weeks following a surgical procedure to be performed within a week. The MRI revealed that he does have a broken fibula as well as severely strained ligaments in his left ankle. "The fracture will be fine," said head trainer Dave Groeschner. "The ankle injury is most concerning to us." Posey suffered the injury on a collision at the plate with Marlins OF Scott Cousins in the 12th inning Wednesday.

Analysis: The good news is that the knee has sustained no damage, which would have had the superstar out for the year without much debate. The ankle will be operated on to repair damage to both sides of the ankle possibly with screws inserted. "It's severe," said Groeschner, who repeatedly referred to the injury as "football-type." "We're not going to waste too much time." Posey will need the two months to recover from the surgery, with the broken fibula healing on its own simultaneously. Fantasy owners may want to place him on the DL in all formats, just in case he has the chance to return sometime after the All-Star break in a best-case scenario. Stash him if possible, seeking alternatives like J.P. Arencibia of Toronto (74 percent ownership), Jonathan LuCroy of Milwaukee (52 percent) and the suddenly surging Jarrod Saltalamacchia of Boston (23 percent) in the short term.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #21: May 28, 2011, 03:42:46 PM »

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #22: June 08, 2011, 02:04:38 PM »
I watched the replay a couple of times, and it did not appear that Posey blocked the plate. He was in front of it, much the same way Pudge takes a throw. The runner was clear to slide right, but lowered his shoulder and hit Posey. Not as grotesque as Nyjer Morgan, not as far out of straight-line, but still an unnecessary collision. The runner is safe if he slides.