Author Topic: wiNatitude - The playoff celebration thread  (Read 4352 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: wiNatitude - The playoff celebration thread
« Reply #50: September 21, 2012, 08:03:47 AM »
In a CSN postgame interview last night, Harper said he didn't even know they clinched until the fireworks went off and he went in the dugout and somebody told him.

They live in a different world, some of these guys.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #51: September 21, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

To Ross Detwiler, for a nicely pitched game tonight.

To Drew Storen, for a nice save tonight.

To Ryan Zimmerman, for a great game tonight, and for sticking with this team since 2005.

To Davey Johnson, for answering the call in mid-2011 to come out of 10 years of exile to manage this team.

to Nats2Playoffs for having the perfect screenname for today.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #52: September 21, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »
to Nats2Playoffs for having the perfect screenname for today.

...and the perfect screenname for launching yesterday's GDT!

Online imref

Online imref

« Reply #54: September 21, 2012, 10:31:24 AM »
ESPN's Dave Schoenfield on the Mariner's contributions to our playoff spot (and the potential of a Reds/Nats NLCS):

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/29118/nationals-reds-clinch-nlcs-preview

The most important weekend in Washington Nationals history might have been the final three days of the 2008 season. The Nationals began the weekend 59-99; the Seattle Mariners began the weekend 58-101. Both teams were horrible. The Nationals had lost 12 of 14; the Mariners had lost 14 of 15.

The prize for the ultimate futility: Stephen Strasburg, already the clear No. 1 pick in the 2009 draft.

The Mariners had it in the bag.

Except the Nationals lost three in a row to the Phillies. Their batting order the final day was a beautiful list: Emilio Bonifacio, Anderson Hernandez, Kory Casto, Ryan Langerhans, Alberto Gonzalez, Roger Bernadina, Luke Montz and Pete Orr, with Odalis Perez on the bump. The Nationals lost 8-3.

And then the Mariners did the impossible: They won three in a row against the A's. On the final day, Ichiro Suzuki had two hits and scored two runs. Yuniesky Betancourt had a big two-run triple. The starting pitcher and winner: R.A. Dickey.

The following June, the Nationals drafted Strasburg first overall. The Mariners drafted Dustin Ackley.

Or maybe the most important day came in the draft in June of 2005, the first for the Nationals since moving from Montreal. With the third pick in that draft, the Mariners selected Jeff Clement. With the next pick the Nationals selected Ryan Zimmerman. That draft also yielded John Lannan and Craig Stammen. In 2007, they drafted Ross Detwiler and Jordan Zimmermann. In 2008, they drafted Danny Espinosa. In 2009, Strasburg and Drew Storen. In 2010, they once again had the No. 1 overall. It didn't take long for Bryce Harper to arrive.

Maybe the most important day came on June 28, 2009, when then-interim general manager Mike Rizzo traded Langerhans to the Mariners for Mike Morse, a middle-of-the-order bat for nothing.

Maybe the Nationals should give the Mariners part of their playoff share.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #56: September 21, 2012, 11:08:27 AM »
Getting into a panic mode about Reds. They and the Nats need to separate. Can't buy plane tickets until I know the dates of playoff games.

Can I root for the Reds to go 10-2 and finish at 101-61, and for the Nats to go 9-4, Win the Division, and finish 100-62 and take the second seed. That way, we know that we play the Giants and know where the NLDS start. If we get the #1 seed, we would have to wait til the end of the play in game to know where the NLDS would be played. So, right now, St. Louis would play at Atlanta in the Wild Card game, if St. Louis wins, then they'd fly back to St. Louis to host the 1st 2 NLDS games against the #1 seed. I'd rather fly to SF and have the days off to prepare.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #57: September 21, 2012, 11:18:20 AM »
In reading some the coverage, I really underestimated the emotional impact of the clinch. Fans are making a link to the 33-year gap and the decades of futility finally coming to an end. Sort of like of when the team moved here. Interesting to me.

Offline wj73

« Reply #58: September 21, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »
I was surprised to find myself in tears at the end of the game last night, and today several co-workers (male and female) said they were also in tears last night.  We all knew it was coming and is only a first step, but when it actually happened the depth of the emotion we felt apparently took a lot of us by surprise.  I think it had extra emotional impact for oldsters like me who grew up watching the hapless Senators. 

Online imref

« Reply #59: September 21, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »

Nats facebook page has posted a lot of clubhouse photos.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #60: September 21, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »
How I wish mobile WNFF would block posters.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #61: September 21, 2012, 12:53:19 PM »
Can I root for the Reds to go 10-2 and finish at 101-61, and for the Nats to go 9-4, Win the Division, and finish 100-62 and take the second seed. That way, we know that we play the Giants and know where the NLDS start. If we get the #1 seed, we would have to wait til the end of the play in game to know where the NLDS would be played. So, right now, St. Louis would play at Atlanta in the Wild Card game, if St. Louis wins, then they'd fly back to St. Louis to host the 1st 2 NLDS games against the #1 seed. I'd rather fly to SF and have the days off to prepare.
Whatever works for you. I just want there to be separation.

Online imref

« Reply #62: September 21, 2012, 01:19:17 PM »
How I wish mobile WNFF would block posters.

You need LTE.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #63: September 21, 2012, 02:02:11 PM »
I was surprised to find myself in tears at the end of the game last night, and today several co-workers (male and female) said they were also in tears last night.  We all knew it was coming and is only a first step, but when it actually happened the depth of the emotion we felt apparently took a lot of us by surprise.  I think it had extra emotional impact for oldsters like me who grew up watching the hapless Senators. 

I was surprisingly affected...not to tears, but I did get caught up in. It's way cool that this team means so much to so many people. We are building a baseball culture here. Slowly but surely.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #64: September 21, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »
On the radio today I heard an interesting point that puts into perspective just how long it's really been since a DC baseball team made the postseason.

You see that picture up the thread of Zimmerman and Werth with the Champagne? That celebration could not have occurred when the 1933 Senators won the pennant. Why not? Because Prohibition was still in effect!

Online imref

« Reply #65: September 21, 2012, 02:17:24 PM »
I was surprisingly affected...not to tears, but I did get caught up in. It's way cool that this team means so much to so many people. We are building a baseball culture here. Slowly but surely.

i hope you are right, but if they draw 25k to a playoff game because there is a Redskins game down the road, then we'll still have some work to do.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #66: September 21, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »
i hope you are right, but if they draw 25k to a playoff game because there is a Redskins game down the road, then we'll still have some work to do.

The games will be SRO. Guaranteed.

The buzz around town is unbelievable. I can't begin to tell you how many people are asking me for tickets.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #67: September 21, 2012, 02:24:54 PM »

Sunday will be quite interesting, going as it does up against the Redskins home opener...but it's also the final weekend home match (so final 'Kids Run the Bases' etc). The Redskins conflict would suggest a thin crowd...but then again last night (with clinching possible but not assured when the match began) we broke 30k on a Thursday night for our biggest Nats Park crowd ever for a Dodgers visit...and the weather should be decent.

Speaking of conflicts with other DC teams...does anyone wonder if Ted Leonsis is worried about the Nats winning the Series (or at least enjoying a deep post-season run) as his Capitals remain idled by another NHL lock-out, and pushing his team even further off the radar?

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #68: September 23, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »
Uhhhhh, is it to late to celebrate the wild card birth?

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #69: September 23, 2012, 08:06:06 PM »
Yes because you also forgot that if we get the second seed we both have the same amount of rest whereas whoever gets the Wild Card team gets a team on less rest.  Too much rest can get you out of your rhythm pretty fast.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #70: September 23, 2012, 08:37:47 PM »
Yes because you also forgot that if we get the second seed we both have the same amount of rest whereas whoever gets the Wild Card team gets a team on less rest.  Too much rest can get you out of your rhythm pretty fast.   

Based upon what I saw on the field today, we could use some rest...

The Nats looked more like a team flirting with 100 losses than one flirting with 100 wins. 

Glad this one is behind us...

Offline heeman82

« Reply #71: September 23, 2012, 10:01:21 PM »

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #73: September 24, 2012, 03:46:06 PM »

Great video!! I've been thinking that the Nats ought to include a snippet where Ken McMullen charges a slow-roller and turns into Ryan Z for the throw, Hondo swings and Morse trots home. They've got the idea!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #74: September 24, 2012, 03:51:01 PM »
Great video!! I've been thinking that the Nats ought to include a snippet where Ken McMullen charges a slow-roller and turns into Ryan Z for the throw, Hondo swings and Morse trots home. They've got the idea!

Not McMullen.  Brinkman.  Also #11