Author Topic: anyone else feeling like the umpires stole the game?  (Read 1641 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: strike calls and the check swing

Discuss

Offline NationalHeat

That was my initial thought. Felt like they weren't going to call anything that wasn't dead red over the plate late the game. Sucks that they didn't instead punish hitters for not being aggressive, which is what you typically like to see.

Of course, I grew up with this as my strike zone:

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: strike calls and the check swing

Discuss

no, that may have been the strike zone the most consistent with the superimposed box that I've seen in a long time, the few bad calls were most on Suzuki for lining up in the wrong location then looking like he was having to go out of the zone to catch the ball.

Offline Copecwby20

It seemed like the most consistant called strike zone that I've seen in a while. I'm not going to delude myself into thinking I'm not biased a little bit, but for the most part it seemed like things were even for the most part... or maybe even skewed in our favor. I was really drunk though.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Not really. If you want to get picky, the 11th pitch to Werth in Game 4 was a strike and Werth should have been out.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Not really. If you want to get picky, the 11th pitch to Werth in Game 4 was a strike and Werth should have been out.

But yadier dropped it and it was already borderline so 9.9/10 it won't get called a strike

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Whining about umpires is for losers.  Right wpa?   :lol:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Whining about umpires is for losers.  Right wpa?   :lol:

Whining? Yes

Ranting? Oh Hell No

Umps didn't cost the Nats the game, but Freese could have certainly been rung up on that check swing. The check swing that Carpenter got rung up on to END game 1 was less of a swing than Freese's

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I already made a more neutral-toned thread about this.  Jeez, PA.

time travel.

Offline PANatsFan

At first I thought it was square. After days of reflection, I feel like ONE of them could have been called a strike. I think the umps were chicken and were only going to call a swinging strike.

Offline PANatsFan

Travel back in time and stop yourself from creating a lamer thread.

Offline The Chief

Travel back in time and stop yourself from creating a lamer thread.

Done.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
The check swing drives me crazy, but he held up. 

Offline hammondsnats

Storen didn't need to nibble.  We'd be talking about Game 2 tonight rather than what could've happened.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Storen didn't need to nibble.  We'd be talking about Game 2 tonight rather than what could've happened.

+1

I hope he learned from that.  Attack, attack, attack with a lead like that.  Giving free baserunners = recipe for disaster souffle. 

Offline NatsDad14

Its kind of funny and ironic that throughout his career, Storen was doing the opposite. He would throw a ton of strikes no matter which is why he had a high K-BB ratio, but in the biggest game of his life, he decides to pitch like he is Livan Hernandez

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
While I thought the strike zone was horrible, it was at least horrible for both teams. You can't really compain about that. We blew it and have no one to blame but ourselves. Well, the whole team blew it etc...

Offline LA2DC

This is what happens when TBS shows the K zone the entire game. It opens up room for complaining. I thought it seemed pretty consistent all game, but I can see why people would complain if they see a pitch that was inside the box called a ball. Nats fans just aren't used to seeing it applied both ways. They only show it selectively on MASN, and usually with a heavy bias.

Offline The Chief

Actually I thought the one on TBS was horribly off the entire series, and not in a biased way, just off as in really bad.

The one on MASN usually seems pretty fair, it's Bob and FP who are often biased.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Actually I thought the one on TBS was horribly off the entire series, and not in a biased way, just off as in really bad.

The one on MASN usually seems pretty fair, it's Bob and FP who are often biased.

MASN has a way better camera angle on the pitches for the viewers, so it's a lot easier to judge the strike zone as well.

I wish TBS would actually have a useful camera angle, behind the pitcher rather than to the right of them.

Offline NatsDad14

MASN has a way better camera angle on the pitches for the viewers, so it's a lot easier to judge the strike zone as well.

I wish TBS would actually have a useful camera angle, behind the pitcher rather than to the right of them.

When I was at the game, I noticed they had 4 cameras out in CF (Nats, Cards, TBS, not sure of the last one). I'm guessing MASN gets first dibs on the spot they want so they get the best angle.

Offline PANatsFan

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Watching at home, I didn't feel squeezed by the umps. You watch a pitch, the crowd at the stadium groans loudly, but from home it's a half foot off the plate.

Offline santanaf

Watching at home, I didn't feel squeezed by the umps. You watch a pitch, the crowd at the stadium groans loudly, but from home it's a half foot off the plate.

Sitting at field level down the right field line you had better believe I'm going to groan and moan when the ump doesn't call a Nats pitch a strike. I can't see a damn thing as to how close a pitch is high or low, and I really can't tell if it's inside or outside, but you've got to know I'm going to yell.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
From Boswell's chat today:

HOME PLATE UMP Boz, I was at the game on Friday -- sitting in the section right below you, actually -- and wonder what your take was on Alfonzo Marquez's strike zone. I saw at various points that Zimmerman, Kurt Suzuki and McCatty were having what looked to be animated discussions with Marquez and everyone around me was getting more and more upset with what seemed to be a shrinking strke zone, but the reality is that we were in the upper deck and had no clue what the zone was. I suppose I could go back and watch the game, but I have no stomach for it. So, did the crowd have a legit beef with the ump? I'm not trying to find excuses for a horribly blown lead, but is it true as some folks were saying as we left the stadium that Storen really should have had a strike three called to end the game before the final unraveling?

– Permalink

THOMAS BOSWELL : I've watched the 9th three times. First, the TBS strike-zone camera is a friggin' useless disgrace. Everybody in baseball knows it is inaccurate and a joke. One exec, in the middle of the series, said, "The umps don't mind the TBS box because it is so awful. They might not like the PitchFX (or MLB-Gameday) box to be shown on TV because IT'S ACTUALLY CORRECT. So, ignore the TBS box. It's off-center. I just used common sense. I didn't think the Nats got squeezed. But when Gio came off after the 5th, he was screaming at Marquez about strikes. That's not a good idea for your teammates for the rest of the game. He kn ows he's out (with 100+ pitches). But the other guys still have to deal with it. The only way Gio got the shaft is if the strike zone got moved to high-and-outside before Game Five. He battled. Much better than Game One. But I don't think the ump got him. They erase the MLB-Gameday pitch-by-pitch after the game is over __at least I don't know how to recapture it. I wish I could see those pitch tracks because they are very useful. So, it's possible Marquez had a poor noight. But I don't think so.

– October 15, 2012 11:42 AM

1986, GAME 6 That's what the Nats meltdown reminded me of, one pitch away then it all fell apart. Fai