Author Topic: Francona to manage the Indians.  (Read 2604 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Francona to manage the Indians.
« Reply #25: October 07, 2012, 02:58:04 PM »
If you actually think Francona is anywhere near Acta, then someone else here is the dumb one.

:lol:

francona is not a good manager. However, the AL really stands for autopilot league.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #26: October 07, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »
Great. Another Indians thread. How long before this becomes W&CFF?

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #27: October 07, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »
The Indians still will never, EVER matter.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #28: October 07, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »

Not now, no, but not too long ago they looked legit.  Now they're just a joke, unfortunately, and if they get rid of Chief Wahoo they should just move to Las Vegas.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #29: October 07, 2012, 10:55:38 PM »
Great move by the Indians.  Maybe without Manny Acta at the helm they could get something accomplished next year.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #30: October 07, 2012, 10:57:57 PM »

I don't know how long you've been following baseball... but for over a decade they were pretty much the model franchise... and held the record for consecutive sellouts.

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #31: October 07, 2012, 11:55:51 PM »
I don't know how long you've been following baseball... but for over a decade they were pretty much the model franchise... and held the record for consecutive sellouts.

You need to forgive Big Meech.  He doesn't know much on baseball history...

Offline santanaf

« Reply #32: October 08, 2012, 12:07:11 AM »

They were a shining example of what good ownership, good management, a good GM, and a good farm system could do for you. They really started to come up in 1992, had really awful and tragic luck in 1993 when two of their pitchers died in a boat crash during spring training, and one was done for the season, then were leading the standings in 1994 in their new Jacobs Field when the strike hit (could have been an Indians vs Expos World Series that year, quite easily). Then they were damn strong from 1995-1999, with WS appearances in 95 and 97. Again in the 2000s with the awful loss to the Sawx up 3-1 in 2006. The Dolans buying the team has destroyed what they had. It's sad. Cleveland isn't a huge market, but the people who live there and root for the teams are as die hard as they come and will give everything they've got. They've always had a raw deal on ownership.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: October 08, 2012, 11:10:13 AM »
White Sox edged them in '05, Red Sox in '07 came back from 3-1 down.  Francona did some smart things in that post-season, like swapping out Crisp for Ellsbury and not panicking and throwing guys on short rest when they were down to Cleveland.   

Indians ran into the problem a lot of mid market teams face.  They can contend for extended periods and even win if they evaluate their players properly, trade high for good value, and stay free from injuries.  Case in point is that 2007 team.  Sizemore's injury and "Fausto Carmona" (whatever his real name is) failure to follow on that year with quality really screwed them.  Both signed contracts that should have been team favorable but end up being a drag.  With the way they budget, even $10 - 15mm of deadwood hurt.   It hurt enough that they decided they could not retain CC, Lee, or Victor.  For Victor, at least they got one starting pitcher, but for CC, they misevaluated LaPorta as the prize and did not get much more, and the Lee deal, I don't think they got anything more useful than Lou Marson and Jason Donald :spaz: .

I'd love to see things start to click for Cleveland.  It's great when old baseball cities get back behind their teams and resume their strong competitive position rather than spin downwards.

Offline santanaf

« Reply #34: October 08, 2012, 02:19:36 PM »
White Sox edged them in '05, Red Sox in '07 came back from 3-1 down.  Francona did some smart things in that post-season, like swapping out Crisp for Ellsbury and not panicking and throwing guys on short rest when they were down to Cleveland.   

Indians ran into the problem a lot of mid market teams face.  They can contend for extended periods and even win if they evaluate their players properly, trade high for good value, and stay free from injuries.  Case in point is that 2007 team.  Sizemore's injury and "Fausto Carmona" (whatever his real name is) failure to follow on that year with quality really screwed them.  Both signed contracts that should have been team favorable but end up being a drag.  With the way they budget, even $10 - 15mm of deadwood hurt.   It hurt enough that they decided they could not retain CC, Lee, or Victor.  For Victor, at least they got one starting pitcher, but for CC, they misevaluated LaPorta as the prize and did not get much more, and the Lee deal, I don't think they got anything more useful than Lou Marson and Jason Donald :spaz: .

I'd love to see things start to click for Cleveland.  It's great when old baseball cities get back behind their teams and resume their strong competitive position rather than spin downwards.

Ah yeah, 2007. I guess I tried to block it out of my memory. I'd love to have the problem of needing to choose between rooting for the Nats or the Indians in the World Series (I think the Nats would win my allegiance though).

It's basically a tragedy that Sizemore never became the player he had the potential to be.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #35: October 08, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »
Sizemore, Asbribble, Kipnis, and Santana up the middle would have been a fantastic core  Add in maybe Victor full time at first and Choo, and you have a contending line up.  You can afford Brantley in left (not enough pop but you get pop from CF), and you possibly keep Peralta at 3d until Chisenhall or some other system product emerges. 

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #36: October 09, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
I learned to keep score with Rosen, Wertz and Doby.

Yep, plus Jimmy Piersall, Boudreau, Bobby Avila, Luke Easter, Jimmy hegan behind the plate, and of course the fabulous four - Feller, Lemon, Garcia and Wynn.  Now THAT was a baseball team!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #37: October 09, 2012, 06:50:20 PM »
Yep, plus Jimmy Piersall, Boudreau, Bobby Avila, Luke Easter, Jimmy hegan behind the plate, and of course the fabulous four - Feller, Lemon, Garcia and Wynn.  Now THAT was a baseball team!

I still have a lot of their baseball cards.   

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #38: October 09, 2012, 07:03:44 PM »
then you may be wealthy.  :)  Wish I did.  Came home from university and the box I kept them in in the attic was gone.  Mom said, "well, I threw them out because I didn't think you'd be looking at them at your age!"  I had hundreds.  Joe Adcock, Mantle, etc.   Oh well, what does it matter now?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #39: October 09, 2012, 07:19:38 PM »
then you may be wealthy.  :)  Wish I did.  Came home from university and the box I kept them in in the attic was gone.  Mom said, "well, I threw them out because I didn't think you'd be looking at them at your age!"  I had hundreds.  Joe Adcock, Mantle, etc.   Oh well, what does it matter now?

Got a lot of 'em  ...  Spahn, Burdette, Aaron, Mays, Adcock (drat on him for hittin' the HR against Haddix in '59) and Mantle.   In fact I have 2 perfect Mantles from the '60 Topps collection.   Said they're $300 each in some circles.    I won't sell 'em.   I'll give 'em to my son.

Offline blue911

« Reply #40: October 09, 2012, 08:03:13 PM »
Got a lot of 'em  ...  Spahn, Burdette, Aaron, Mays, Adcock (drat on him for hittin' the HR against Haddix in '59) and Mantle.   In fact I have 2 perfect Mantles from the '60 Topps collection.   Said they're $300 each in some circles.    I won't sell 'em.   I'll give 'em to my son.

If you put them in your bicycle spokes they make a really cool sound

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: October 10, 2012, 08:51:34 AM »
If you put them in your bicycle spokes they make a really cool sound

Many a fine baseball card met such a demise.   I couldn't afford to continue to ruin them so I bought a motorcycle.  :P