Author Topic: Francona to manage the Indians.  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Francona to manage the Indians.
« Topic Start: October 06, 2012, 04:26:29 PM »
Terry Francona has been hired to manage the Indians according to Rosenthal. Official announcement on Monday.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Francona to manage the Indians.
« Reply #1: October 06, 2012, 04:29:15 PM »
Tribe Time!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2: October 06, 2012, 04:30:14 PM »
Another Pittsburgh guy goes to save Cleveland sports (and the new owner of the Browns).   

:poke:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: October 06, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »
Funny.  I think Farrell was with Cleveland before he went to Boston and Toronto.  It may end up with tito with the Tribe and Farrell in Boston.  Maybe Acta ends up in toronto.  :rofl:

This might be a nice fit.   It gives Francona a chance to manage in a place where he can show what he has and not have his record denigrated as just being able to be a caretaker for an abundance of talent.  For the Indians, Francona looks like a "get.'  With Asdrubal, Kipnis, and Chisenhall, and Choo if they can bring him back, they have some pieces.

I think TribeTime wanted Alomar.   

Offline santanaf

« Reply #4: October 06, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »
Another Pittsburgh guy goes to save Cleveland sports (and the new owner of the Browns).   

As long as he brings only the good sports fortunes of Pittsburgh and not it's choices in beer, food, clothes, and pretty much anything else, I don't mind. I just want a Cleveland sports team that doesn't just suck every damn year.

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #5: October 06, 2012, 06:34:43 PM »

Jimmy Haslam III was born in Detroit  NOT Pittsburgh.

Terry Francona was born in South Dakota and his dad played for the Indians.

Haslam's business started out of Tennessee, not Pittsburgh.

Haslam wasn't the majority owner in Pittsburgh.  Rooney is.  Simple as that.

Above statements prove you wrong.

And you wouldn't have a franchise, team name, or your greatest coach if it wasn't for Cleveland.

Therefore, Cleveland owns your city

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #6: October 06, 2012, 06:35:30 PM »
As long as he brings only the good sports fortunes of Pittsburgh and not it's choices in beer, food, clothes, and pretty much anything else, I don't mind. I just want a Cleveland sports team that doesn't just suck every damn year.

He better not bring the wretched stench of the city of Pittsburgh either

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #7: October 06, 2012, 06:38:21 PM »
Funny.  I think Farrell was with Cleveland before he went to Boston and Toronto.  It may end up with tito with the Tribe and Farrell in Boston.  Maybe Acta ends up in toronto.  :rofl:

This might be a nice fit.   It gives Francona a chance to manage in a place where he can show what he has and not have his record denigrated as just being able to be a caretaker for an abundance of talent.  For the Indians, Francona looks like a "get.'  With Asdrubal, Kipnis, and Chisenhall, and Choo if they can bring him back, they have some pieces.

I think TribeTime wanted Alomar.

I did indeed.  Francona isn't bad, but Alomar is a TRUE Cleveland Indian and definitely deserves a chance to manage.  It's not like we have an outstanding roster.  We have one of the top 3 2B's in MLB 2B, a top SS, and one of the most reliable 7-8-9 back end of the bullpens (Perez, Pestano, Smith)....and Choo is good as is Santana, but not sure where else we have stand outs.  Chisenhall should be good but has been hurt.

Why not give Alomar his chance?  Francona has managed before.  The Indians are a young team.  Alomar would have been better in my opinion

Offline mitlen

« Reply #8: October 06, 2012, 06:43:55 PM »
Jimmy Haslam III was born in Detroit  NOT Pittsburgh.

Terry Francona was born in South Dakota and his dad played for the Indians.

Both statements prove you wrong.

And you wouldn't have a franchise, team name, or your greatest coach if it wasn't for Cleveland.

Therefore, Cleveland owns your city

Look it up Terry Francona was raised in New Brighton, PA.   Remember stories about his old man playing HS baseball in New Brighton (born in Aliquippa).   Cleveland Browns owner had a piece of the Steelers before trying to save the Browns.    Google it   ....

BTW  ... the "stench" of Pittsburgh would be drowned out by the Cuyahoga.   

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #9: October 06, 2012, 06:50:14 PM »

Look it up Terry Francona was raised in New Brighton, PA.   Remember stories about his old man playing HS baseball in New Brighton (born in Aliquippa).   Cleveland Browns owner had a piece of the Steelers before trying to save the Browns.    Google it   ....

I know he owned a piece of the Steelers, hence why I said he wasn't the MAJORITY owner of the Steelers.  And he didnt "save" the Browns.  Lerner could afford it, he rather spend more focus on his English soccer team hence why the Browns have suffered.    In regards to Francona, his dad played in Cleveland and he was born in South Dakota.  Was not born in Pittsburgh.  And glad he wasn't.  Who wants to be born in that cesspool of a city?

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #10: October 06, 2012, 06:51:12 PM »

BTW  ... the "stench" of Pittsburgh would be drowned out by the Cuyahoga.

The Cuyahoga river doesn't smell.  And our beers don't taste like piss

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #11: October 06, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »
:popcorn:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #12: October 06, 2012, 07:15:53 PM »
:popcorn:

If this relates to me in anyway, I already put him back on ignore after my last post.   I should never have taken him off.   :P

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #13: October 06, 2012, 07:16:23 PM »
The Cuyahoga river doesn't smell.  And our beers don't taste like piss

If 18 year olds can only drink 3.2% alcohol, college students used to call it 3.2 pisswater!

Maybe they wanted experience to manage sucha young club. I thought Alomar was in too.  Maybe likeBo, Sandy will get a chance elsewhere.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #14: October 06, 2012, 07:36:12 PM »
Good fit. I remember Tito Francona's baseball card from 1959...Cleveland Indians.

Didn't the Cuyahoga once catch fire? Maybe there was a song by Loudon Wainright III called "Burn on, mighty river"?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #15: October 06, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Yeah.  Long time ago.  Cleaned up since then!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #16: October 06, 2012, 07:39:35 PM »
Good fit. I remember Tito Francona's baseball card from 1959...Cleveland Indians.

Didn't the Cuyahoga once catch fire? Maybe there was a song by Loudon Wainright III called "Burn on, mighty river"?

Tito Francona was a folk hero in my younger days in the "suburbs" (small steel towns) along the Ohio and Beaver Rivers west of Pittsburgh.    Babe Parelli was another (Rochester, PA).   Later came Ditka, Namath and Dorsett, among others.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #17: October 06, 2012, 07:49:40 PM »
Tough act(a) to follow, look what the pressure did to Riggleman.  :rimshot:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #18: October 06, 2012, 07:51:49 PM »
Tough act(a) to follow, look what the pressure did to Riggleman.  :rimshot:
:lmao:

Offline santanaf

« Reply #19: October 07, 2012, 12:01:48 PM »
At this rate I just want anyone who can help the damn team compete beyond August 1.

Actually, I just want Jacobs and the mid 1990s back.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #20: October 07, 2012, 12:42:53 PM »
Pretty soon you'll be wanting Robbie or Baerga at 2d, and Thome at first.

Offline santanaf

« Reply #21: October 07, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »
Pretty soon you'll be wanting Robbie or Baerga at 2d, and Thome at first.

And Ramirez in right, Hershiser, Nagy, or Black on the mound, Belle in left, Lofton in center, Alomar (or even Pena) behind the plate, Sorrento as the DH, and Alvaro Espinosa at 3rd. I'd take that any day, even at current skill levels, still better than the Acta team.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #22: October 07, 2012, 02:52:34 PM »
Francona is nearly as dumb as Acta :lmao:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #23: October 07, 2012, 02:54:18 PM »
And Ramirez in right, Hershiser, Nagy, or Black on the mound, Belle in left, Lofton in center, Alomar (or even Pena) behind the plate, Sorrento as the DH, and Alvaro Espinosa at 3rd. I'd take that any day, even at current skill levels, still better than the Acta team.

I learned to keep score with Rosen, Wertz and Doby.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #24: October 07, 2012, 02:57:20 PM »
Francona is nearly as dumb as Acta :lmao:

If you actually think Francona is anywhere near Acta, then someone else here is the dumb one.