Author Topic: Negro Leagues  (Read 872 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Negro Leagues
« Topic Start: May 13, 2011, 12:51:17 PM »
Perhaps the rationale behind the selection of Jackie Robinson as the first black player in the Majors?  There is some great information out there about the Negro Leagues and a lof of folks who put a lot more time into it than I have suggest that Robinson wasn't the best ballplayer in the Negor Leagues but he was selected because the Dodgers felt he could best handle the scrutiny he was about to face.

Another project I always wanted to research and try my hand at but can never find the time it would require to do it justice is to try to justify why modern record holders are more significant than the players they surpassed because players like Ruth, Gherig, Cobb, etc. never had to face some of the best, most talented ball players in America since blacks weren't allowed to play MLB. 

The biggest issue you'll face is that the statistics that were kept from the Negro Leagues are often either incomplete or inflated by barnstorming numbers.  If you can get your parents to do it, see if they'll take you to the Baseball HoF and do some research there.  There's a lot of great Negro Leagues information that can be had - plus, you get to go to Cooperstown; how cool woudl that be?