Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions? (2011-2014)  (Read 173617 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Nationals Park Questions?
« Reply #1425: April 18, 2014, 12:04:38 AM »
Some observations from our first visit tonight:

Plusses:
- sat in 136, Row R, and absolutely loved the seats - we were on the aisle near the wall and the kids had a blast watching Taylor Jordan warm up before the game.  We all liked being able to look into the bullpen as well.  Zach Walters and Steven Souza Jr. were signing autographs before the game in front of sections 132-134.  For the $14 and change I paid on stub hub, these seats were a tremendous value.

- I loved the new red floors, really big improvement in the concourse

- we parked in the gravel lot under the South Capital bridge that runs over the Anacostia River, across from the home field gate, next to the cement plants.  The cost was $20 and less than an hour before game time the lot was maybe 20% full, I don't think it ever got close to being full.  There are a couple of lots in that area.  It doesn't feel like the safest place to walk at night, but there were plenty of people around.

- the beer guy working our section was in "rob schneider copy guy" character all night, he had most of the people rolling throughout the game.

Minuses:
- $9 for a regular beer, I will never buy another beer at Nats park at that price.  Also paid $9.50 for a cheese steak sandwich.  At $6 the kosher hot dogs seemed cheap by comparison.

- the person behind me who told every beer guy that it was her friend's 30th birthday in what seemed to be a desperate (and fruitless) attempt to get free beer.

- it took about 30 minutes to get a hot dog at the Nats dog stand across from section 135.  Our line just didn't move.  To be fair, the other lines looked like they were moving along pretty well.  I'm not sure what was going on in my line.

- the game itself

- it was cold

Offline machpost

« Reply #1426: April 18, 2014, 10:06:52 AM »
- it took about 30 minutes to get a hot dog at the Nats dog stand across from section 135.  Our line just didn't move.  To be fair, the other lines looked like they were moving along pretty well.  I'm not sure what was going on in my line.

The lines were stupid long at a lot of the upper deck concession stands last night as well, for some unknown reason. And the eCash Only lanes are a complete joke, when they happen to be unmanned. Pointless.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1427: April 19, 2014, 07:32:36 PM »
The lines were stupid long at a lot of the upper deck concession stands last night as well, for some unknown reason. And the eCash Only lanes are a complete joke, when they happen to be unmanned. Pointless.

First game I bought food I had to ask someone why there was no cashier on the eCash line and then they staffed it; second game I hit the stands the eCash line was taking cash, credit cards, and eCash cards and I got a surly response when I asked why the line wasn't eCash only.  I'll try again in a few days but so far this appears to be another highly touted venture that the Nats are failing to follow through on.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1428: April 19, 2014, 08:39:57 PM »
Does anyone know where the Nationals intro video for this year (played before the lineup is announced) might be? I have the one from 2012: http://vimeo.com/51261402

EDIT: AND 2013: http://vimeo.com/69108620

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1429: April 21, 2014, 11:40:46 PM »
FWPs
First game I bought food I had to ask someone why there was no cashier on the eCash line and then they staffed it; second game I hit the stands the eCash line was taking cash, credit cards, and eCash cards and I got a surly response when I asked why the line wasn't eCash only.  I'll try again in a few days but so far this appears to be another highly touted venture that the Nats are failing to follow through on.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #1430: April 22, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »
Is there any where in the stadium to watch the basketball games tonight?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1431: April 22, 2014, 11:17:52 AM »
Is there any where in the stadium to watch the basketball games tonight?

The tellies behind the bar at the Red Loft sometimes carry matches other than baseball (one time when I was up there earlier this season they had a Caps match on at least one of them).

• babble on
« Reply #1432: April 22, 2014, 01:52:23 PM »
I've watched quite a few Caps playoff games there.  Emphasis on past tense.

Also the bar(s) in the S&S Club or whatever they call it now.
The tellies behind the bar at the Red Loft sometimes carry matches other than baseball (one time when I was up there earlier this season they had a Caps match on at least one of them).

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1433: April 22, 2014, 02:16:11 PM »
so the beer guy working in 136 last week kept yelling "#beerman loyalty"

Turns out it's an actual hashtag, and he's got a twitter account: https://twitter.com/Nats_BeerMan

his schtick is that he's the Rob Schnieder copy guy from SNL, selling beer.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #1434: April 23, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
The bullpen burrito stand was good, but man, the crab nachos and pad thai really sucked. Gonna go for the crab grilled cheese next, then G, then just revert back to my old favorities. Must say the food in the 300s section is good and empty lines.

Offline machpost

« Reply #1435: April 23, 2014, 12:54:23 PM »
Must say the food in the 300s section is good and empty lines.

The selection has gotten a LOT better up there over the past season or so. I was pretty surprised to see the Hard Times and Chesapeake Crab stands show up this year. Only times the lines get bad are when they have dollar nights or there are coupons in the Post.

Offline jensgt

« Reply #1436: April 23, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »
I am sure this has been asked...but what days does the team Not do batting practice?  I will be at the May 7 game against the Dodgers which is a day game...and the next day is a travel day...wanted to know what time I should head over to the park.

Offline jensgt

« Reply #1437: April 23, 2014, 05:41:30 PM »
so the beer guy working in 136 last week kept yelling "#beerman loyalty"

Turns out it's an actual hashtag, and he's got a twitter account: https://twitter.com/Nats_BeerMan

his schtick is that he's the Rob Schnieder copy guy from SNL, selling beer.

I have met that guy before.  He really loves his Twitter.

• babble on
« Reply #1438: April 23, 2014, 05:44:50 PM »
We just need to get some of those pupusa stands from RFK.

The selection has gotten a LOT better up there over the past season or so. I was pretty surprised to see the Hard Times and Chesapeake Crab stands show up this year. Only times the lines get bad are when they have dollar nights or there are coupons in the Post.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #1439: April 23, 2014, 06:24:36 PM »
I am sure this has been asked...but what days does the team Not do batting practice?  I will be at the May 7 game against the Dodgers which is a day game...and the next day is a travel day...wanted to know what time I should head over to the park.

Often times, they may skip BP before a day game following a night game.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #1440: April 24, 2014, 10:19:46 AM »
Would it be lame to buy one of the game used jerseys on sale at the stadium of a bad player? I've always wanted a 'real' jersey (the away one) but refuse to fork over 300+ for it. I could get an Erik Davis or Eury Perez for 100. It's the real thing, but I'd be wearing around a non star player.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1441: April 24, 2014, 10:44:43 AM »
I don't think I'd frame a Eury jersey, but that 100 is cheaper than a fake jersey, so I'd do it. I'm also cheap and lame though

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #1442: April 24, 2014, 11:03:28 AM »
Oh not to frame, to wear it  :rofl:

Offline machpost

« Reply #1443: April 24, 2014, 12:31:44 PM »
Would it be lame to buy one of the game used jerseys on sale at the stadium of a bad player? I've always wanted a 'real' jersey (the away one) but refuse to fork over 300+ for it. I could get an Erik Davis or Eury Perez for 100. It's the real thing, but I'd be wearing around a non star player.

Assuming they're going to have the sale every year, the time and place to buy that kind of stuff is at NatsFest. All the game-used stuff from non-stars or spring training invitees was dirt cheap this year. Used batting helmets were $20. A lot of those jerseys were about half what they sell them for at the ballpark, if I remember correctly.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #1444: April 24, 2014, 01:04:05 PM »
Used batting helmets are $25 right now (unmarked helmets.)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1445: April 24, 2014, 09:37:48 PM »
Yes - it is lame

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #1446: April 27, 2014, 11:00:05 AM »
Heh, I love that the team is selling a Nats starter jacket at the team store. Only $100. Probably why I've seen so many people wearing one around the park. Not sure they know the history of starter jackets  :rofl:

Offline machpost

« Reply #1447: April 27, 2014, 11:30:49 AM »
Someone needs to let the concessions people know that they should use an ice scoop when refilling the refillable sodas, and not scoop the God damned cup into the ice. That's gross! I think I'm sticking to bottled beverages from now on.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1448: April 27, 2014, 04:06:32 PM »

I bought a JC Romero team issued BP Jersey from the store there. He was traded before I picked it up so they had it marked at $75 bucks. I asked the guy if I could get a discount because my name was also Romero. The guy said sure and when he told the checkout lady to give it to me for $50 she was like "What?" and he gave her a look like "Just do it, we traded Romero, there's probably no one else that's going to want to buy it so let's get whatever we can for it." I don't know that they would do that for a player that's still in their system though. I don't know what the probability is that Eury would ever make the big club, but what if he did and still had the same number. You'd be sitting pretty and feeling smart then. Only the bigger fans have the entire 40 man roster memorized so the casual fan wouldn't even notice. I'd pull the triger on the jersey.

Offline madj55

« Reply #1449: April 28, 2014, 07:00:44 PM »
I'm a big fan of seeing random jerseys around the park. I'd go for it.