Author Topic: "This medical staff still stinks" thread (2012)  (Read 8381 times)

Online HalfSmokes

You know, I've been trying to reserve judgment on our team's doctors because pretty much every team has injury issues, but... seriously?

They seem to treat players like regular patients- sure an MRI is something you can hold off on for a weekend warrior to see if time and rest work, but wait and see for baseball players costs you chunks of the season

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Is Jerome Williams still starting for the Angels?  If he is, they'd probably be interested in another starter.  I know they also just demoted their closer Walden.  What about something like a Lannan and HRod for Bourjos trade? 

Just threw a complete game shutout the other night.

They seem to treat players like regular patients- sure an MRI is something you can hold off on for a weekend warrior to see if time and rest work, but wait and see for baseball players costs you chunks of the season

This.

Didn't someone question if the medical staff was a regular family practice?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
The main doctor of this staff was Mark and PANatsFan Lerner's pediatrician.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
The main doctor of this staff was Mark and PANatsFan Lerner's pediatrician.

Right... I think it might have been MDS that said they treat these guys like they're regular patients and not athletes... which seems to be ass backwards.

Offline NatsDad14

What about ss and jz taking 12 months to recover from tommy john? What abou wang's rehab? Those seem like wins to me.
How was Wang's rehab a plus? He missed an entire season despite them predicting he would return midseason. Wasn't he supposed to come back by May last year and of course he didn't. Wasn't he supposed to be ready by this April and we know what happened?

Online HalfSmokes

How was Wang's rehab a plus? He missed an entire season despite them predicting he would return midseason. Wasn't he supposed to come back by May last year and of course he didn't. Wasn't he supposed to be ready by this April and we know what happened?

wang has been a nat since 2010 and pitched a total of 62 innings- that's a success how?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
CALL UP THE XRAY BOOGY MAN!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude

And something you hold off on, because there is a cost associated with it, even with a good insurance plan, so you don't want to do unnecessary tests.  With a professional athlete though, the clock is ticking, both in terms of the season and in terms of their career, so you want to move past diagnosis and into treatment (even if that treatment is just time and rest) as soon as you can.

Besides that, there's also an incentive for the team to get clarity sooner rather than later - if in fact it's more than it presents at first examination, you don't want to wait to find that out so that the team can take the necessary steps.

That's my biggest gripe, when I'm not riffing on their degree from U. of St. Kitts Med.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
With a professional athlete though, the clock is ticking, both in terms of the season and in terms of their career, so you want to move past diagnosis and into treatment (even if that treatment is just time and rest) as soon as you can.

This is why this guy is a total 100% bad ass poster.  I really think this gets lost on a lot of people - you only have a short window of time where guys are going to be productive - don't be a cheap ass on ruling out serious issues.  See LaRoche, Adam and Marquis, Jason for examples.

That's my biggest gripe, when I'm not riffing on their degree from U. of St. Kitts Med.

I really hope you're joking here.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
I really hope you're joking here.

Nope.  That's definitely one of the things that annoy me the most about the med staff stuff.  ;)

No idea whether U of St Kitts Med is an actual university.  But if it is, I'm sure the Nats docs graduated top of their class from there.  :stir:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
I asked my old PT about it.  He said that those type of injuries (lat and abdominal strains) are due poor training practices!  Its not the Doc's fault but bad preparation is my interpretation!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I asked my old PT about it.  He said that those type of injuries (lat and abdominal strains) are due poor training practices!  Its not the Doc's fault but bad preparation is my interpretation!

So blame the trainers then?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Yep!

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
So blame the trainers then?

NEEDZ MOAR YOGA.  Core strength, man, core strength.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Yoga is the truth

Offline blue911

How would yoga have helped Ryan Zimmerman? Morse makes sense but I don't see how it applies universally.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
How would yoga have helped Ryan Zimmerman? Morse makes sense but I don't see how it applies universally.

Probably not Ryan's particular injury which was an impact injury when he dove after a ball

But any kind of strains, or sprains, or tears can be prevented immeasurably by doing Yoga

Offline blue911

Probably not Ryan's particular injury which was an impact injury when he dove after a ball

But any kind of strains, or sprains, or tears can be prevented immeasurably by doing Yoga

I can see it if they are a result of improper stretching,  but isn't that more on the athlete than the trainer.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

Laroche apparently got hurt diving for a ball. That's what Davey said in his post game interview.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude

Right, but Zimm's other injuries, including his strain/sprain last year would have been helped.  Even this year, more core strength and stronger core muscles are less likely to get torn or sprained, because they're literally a little thicker. It's one of the reasons that I worry less about Stras' mechanics than others - he apparently does a pretty intensive yoga regimen in between starts, which is a great way to keep the added flexibility in hips, shoulders, elbows, etc.

Diving for a ball could be an impact injury, or it could be an "overstretched" injury because they overreached while diving.  If it's the latter, yoga could definitely help that. 

Offline blue911

Right, but Zimm's other injuries, including his strain/sprain last year would have been helped.  Even this year, more core strength and stronger core muscles are less likely to get torn or sprained, because they're literally a little thicker. It's one of the reasons that I worry less about Stras' mechanics than others - he apparently does a pretty intensive yoga regimen in between starts, which is a great way to keep the added flexibility in hips, shoulders, elbows, etc.

Diving for a ball could be an impact injury, or it could be an "overstretched" injury because they overreached while diving.  If it's the latter, yoga could definitely help that. 

So in other words, there is no direct proof that yoga would have helped or that the training staff is at fault.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
So in other words, there is no direct proof that yoga would have helped or that the training staff is at fault.

Of course not, we've already established long ago that it's all the doctors fault because of their C+ averages from U of St. Kitts Med.  Try to keep up.   ;)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Someone really went to U os St Kitts?!?!?!?!?

Offline blue911

Someone really went to U os St Kitts?!?!?!?!?

IDK but as far as I can tell the only hospital Cullen is associated with is Sibley.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
NOOOOO!!!! he's my 3/4 starter in fantasy!!!!

Actually, they have a pretty decent minor league pitcher in Garret Richards who i'm guessing my come up late june.