Author Topic: Nationals vs Braves, Game 1  (Read 29578 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Nationals vs Braves, Game 1
« Reply #50: May 04, 2010, 03:04:40 PM »
YNOT is up ladies and gents.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #51: May 04, 2010, 03:42:14 PM »
we win 4-2 tonight

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #52: May 04, 2010, 03:51:30 PM »
Lineups are posted.  I was wrong on only one player. 

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #53: May 04, 2010, 03:53:28 PM »
Lineups are posted.  I was wrong on only one player.  

Not to nit-pick but you have Desmond at 2B, and when I was reading from the bottom up I was like :wtf: why are they playing Guzzie at SS and Desmond at 2B?

« Reply #54: May 04, 2010, 03:54:07 PM »

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #55: May 04, 2010, 03:56:40 PM »
Not to nit-pick but you have Desmond at 2B, and when I was reading from the bottom up I was like :wtf: why are they playing Guzzie at SS and Desmond at 2B?
Fixed

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #56: May 04, 2010, 03:57:02 PM »
Riggleman is going to do a good job of taking the Nats to a 5-10 stretch. Just stop playing the guy. He is useless and doesn't provide anything. Apparently, based of some remarks, he is negatively harming the team. I thought Rizzo was a smart guy. If he was, he would tell the Lerner Family about the concept of sunk cost, which I have to guess that billionaire businessmen understand, and how it needs to apply in this situation.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #57: May 04, 2010, 04:00:20 PM »
Riggleman is going to do a good job of taking the Nats to a 5-10 stretch. Just stop playing the guy. He is useless and doesn't provide anything. Apparently, based of some remarks, he is negatively harming the team. I thought Rizzo was a smart guy. If he was, he would tell the Lerner Family about the concept of sunk cost, which I have to guess that billionaire businessmen understand, and how it needs to apply in this situation.

wait where do you see this?

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #58: May 04, 2010, 04:03:50 PM »
wait where do you see this?

read the second page of this thread.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #59: May 04, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »
If Desmond is supposed to be our SS, let him play there. If Kennedy needs a break put the bend middle infielder (Guzman). Why mess with a rookie who you expect to be around for a while

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #60: May 04, 2010, 04:09:05 PM »
read the second page of this thread.

In the time it took you to post that, you could've just quoted the relevant post.  Also, I don't see anything like what you're implying on the second page of this thread.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #61: May 04, 2010, 04:10:14 PM »
In the time it took you to post that, you could've just quoted the relevant post.  Also, I don't see anything like what you're implying on the second page of this thread.
I didn't either.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #62: May 04, 2010, 04:11:02 PM »

He's harming the team because Desmond chose to emulate his swing first/ask questions later approach at the plate?  Pretty tenuous to blame one hitter on another's failures.

« Reply #63: May 04, 2010, 04:11:35 PM »
I had a Poli Sci professor that always said, "History may be writen by the winners, but it is made by the losers." Basically that the people that are losing now are going to figure out a way to win.

So the Pittsburgh Pirates are just bidding their time? Oh good I was getting worried.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #64: May 04, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »

Ya I didn't see any direct correlation either.

If Desmond is supposed to be our SS, let him play there. If Kennedy needs a break put the bend middle infielder (Guzman). Why mess with a rookie who you expect to be around for a while

+1 I'm really not sure the motive behind this, if he is just purely looking for AB's for Guzman (which I'm not sure why you would) than throw his butt out in RF or spell Kennedy at 2B once a week.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #65: May 04, 2010, 04:12:05 PM »
So the Pittsburgh Pirates are just bidding their time? Oh good I was getting worried.

We must be due to win a lot.

Offline Neuman

• Washington Nationals Examiner
« Reply #66: May 04, 2010, 04:15:40 PM »
Guzman is starting and hitting second against a RHP.

I guess they seem to think his .224 OBP will serve the heart of the order well.

Not that Kennedy's .234 is much better... but his .180 BABIP makes me believe he's hitting into some bad luck. Guzman is posting a .224 with a .270 BABIP. Ouch.

I agree - Kennedy has been hitting better recently and he is better than Guz in the field.  Guz can only play if his bat is  hot b/c he does not draw walks.  He is a streaky guy, so when he is cold (such as right now), I would sit him for a while.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #67: May 04, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
I don't think it is a good idea to listen to the worst hitter on your team. Listen to the good hitters like Zim or Dunn.

Federal Baseball (FB): You beat out Cristian Guzman (for the starting job at short) coming out of Spring Training, but he's still found a way to get in the lineup and make a contribution, have you learned anything from watching him play every day?

Ian Desmond: "I've been watching him since 2005, you know. The guy's a gamer. He knows how to play the game the right way, and his approach at the plate, everyone on the team could learn something from him, especially me. He's aggressive, he swings at balls in the zone, he's not really worried about walking or striking out, those numbers don't matter to him. He just wants to get up there and hit, which is good. I try to be aggressive like him :| and I try to play the game with the same type of energy and life that he has."

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2010/4/24/1441387/washington-nationals-ian-desmond

Offline blue911

« Reply #68: May 04, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »
Play Wooly at second. Bat Bernie second.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #69: May 04, 2010, 04:43:52 PM »
Play Wooly at second. Bat Bernie second.

agree to disagree.  I would not bat Bernadina second. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #70: May 04, 2010, 04:47:29 PM »
agree to disagree.  I would not bat Bernadina second. 

Yeah but if you had your way, Bernie would have to buy a ticket to see the game.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #71: May 04, 2010, 04:50:31 PM »
Yeah but if you had your way, Bernie would have to buy a ticket to see the game.

Hey with that one hit, why not :rofl:

Hopefully he starts producing.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #72: May 04, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »
Really feel like this is an important game if we want to win this series. Livan is due for a bad outing... but I'm hoping its not tonight!

Adam Madison, Special to ESPN.com and their Fantasy Baseball writer, agrees with you in today's report:

"It should go without saying that you don't want anything to do with Livan Hernandez, but his ownership has increased 10 percent in the past week, so maybe not. Hernandez's ERA and WHIP are still sterling, but he's struck out just 10 batters in 31 innings. He has the lowest batting average on balls in play in the league at .177 and isn't limiting his fly balls nor inducing ground balls particularly well. In short, it's a fluke, and if you pick him up hoping to milk him for all he's worth, the egg on your face will be entirely of your own doing. NL-only leagues don't have much of a choice but to throw him out there, but mixed leagues of any size should stay far away."

On the other hand, the Braves SUCK this year! :tomatoes:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #73: May 04, 2010, 06:21:53 PM »
I wish some of these jackasses had people at their jobs every day predicting them to fail and then shouting "told you he sucks!" when they do :roll:

Offline blue911

« Reply #74: May 04, 2010, 06:26:52 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Adam Madison, Special to ESPN.com and their Fantasy Baseball writer, agrees with you in today's report:

"It should go without saying that you don't want anything to do with Livan Hernandez, but his ownership has increased 10 percent in the past week, so maybe not. Hernandez's ERA and WHIP are still sterling, but he's struck out just 10 batters in 31 innings. He has the lowest batting average on balls in play in the league at .177 and isn't limiting his fly balls nor inducing ground balls particularly well.
In short, it's a fluke, and if you pick him up hoping to milk him for all he's worth, the egg on your face will be entirely of your own doing. NL-only leagues don't have much of a choice but to throw him out there, but mixed leagues of any size should stay far away."

On the other hand, the Braves SUCK this year! :tomatoes:

His line drive % has dropped from around 25 to around 14. Which probably does more to explain his success than any other single stat.