Author Topic: Brooks Robinson Hospitalized  (Read 997 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Offline John

Re: Brooks Robinson Hospitalized
« Reply #1: April 02, 2011, 09:17:24 AM »
My favorite ballplayer when I was a kid.
A very nice man that I had the privilege of meeting once.

Ditto the "get well."

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #2: April 02, 2011, 10:56:35 AM »
I've met Brooksie on a few Occasions.  He's old school, just like Frank Howard.  Extremely fan friendly!!!

Offline John

« Reply #3: April 15, 2011, 06:07:35 AM »
CALSGR8 ---

Did you hear about this?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-brooks-robinson-0414,0,1959473.story

It's nice to read good news!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #4: April 15, 2011, 07:05:09 AM »
No I didn't.   Thanks!  It is great news!

Offline John

« Reply #5: June 12, 2011, 11:14:29 AM »
Hey Cal,

I was thinking of you when I read the following update. Hopefully Brooks is correct and that he is not in denial:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/06/robinson_addresses_questions_a.html

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #6: June 12, 2011, 11:19:08 AM »
Hey Cal,

I was thinking of you when I read the following update. Hopefully Brooks is correct and that he is not in denial:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/06/robinson_addresses_questions_a.html

Maybe it's not denial.   Maybe he thinks it's his business.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #7: June 12, 2011, 11:23:40 AM »
He may not be in denial but may want to keep what's going on Private.   I hope whatever this is, he is able to recover from it.  Brooks is a super human being who always is smiling and positive.  He doesn't seem like the type of person to want everyone feeling sorry for him.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #8: June 12, 2011, 11:34:02 AM »
He may not be in denial but may want to keep what's going on Private.   I hope whatever this is, he is able to recover from it.  Brooks is a super human being who always is smiling and positive.  He doesn't seem like the type of person to want everyone feeling sorry for him.

+1

Offline John

« Reply #9: June 12, 2011, 11:37:53 AM »
Maybe it's not denial.   Maybe he thinks it's his business.
Very obvious on the privacy issue, especially since the article quoted Brooks on that.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #10: June 12, 2011, 01:03:04 PM »
Very obvious on the privacy issue, especially since the article quoted Brooks on that.

I see Brooks Robinson as the epitome of "old school".    Can you imagine a clubhouse with him, F. Robinson, Powell, Palmer, Baylor, Weaver, etc.?    Good Lord !!!   :)

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #11: June 12, 2011, 07:19:42 PM »
I see Brooks Robinson as the epitome of "old school".    Can you imagine a clubhouse with him, F. Robinson, Powell, Palmer, Baylor, Weaver, etc.?    Good Lord !!!   :)

And that's the way it was too!  Those were good years.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #12: June 16, 2011, 06:24:49 PM »
I got to be in and around that clubhouse when I was a kid. My " Cuz" Merv Rettenmund was on those Orioles teams. Had breakfast with " Brooksie" and played catch with Jim Palmer. Andy Etchabarren was a gem, Paul Blair, Don Buford, McNally all were great guys. Even back then I was scared to death of Earl weaver. LOL! Little guy that could stare you down ever though he was soft spoken when you talked with him. The players always seemed to have time for the fans- Family. That is something I was able to share with CB and I kow how much he enjoys the interaction with the fans.
In those days before the game they let us go on the field before the games, play catch with the guys and take a few photos. I will never forget it and I still remember it so clearly, some 40 years later. I loved the Orioles and the Reds. Of course who ever Merv played for I loved!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #13: June 16, 2011, 10:46:25 PM »
I think I still have a Merv Rettenmund picture someplace in my collection.  Yeah, the old days were cool.  Hope whatever Brooksie has, that he has a successful recovery.  He should throw out the 1st pitch next season at the O's Opener!