Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nationals vs Padres, Game 2  (Read 18843 times)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Gameday Thread: Nationals vs Padres, Game 2
« Reply #100: August 06, 2005, 09:52:21 PM »
Do like me, I've stopped expecting anything from this team... That way no longer have to worry about being disappointed

Offline esoteric

« Reply #101: August 06, 2005, 09:57:30 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Do like me, I've stopped expecting anything from this team... That way no longer have to worry about being disappointed

It's hard...I have such an emotional attachment to the sports teams I root for.  It's unhealthy, really.  The fact that Nats loss can (and does) put me in a foul mood the rest of the day is pretty sad.  For one thing, my girlfriend finds it totally perplexing and a bit amusing.

edit: Besides, you've have YEARS of heartbreak to toughen up your skin to a leathery hide.  I'm still a young, vulnerable, fledgling Nats fan!  I bruise easy!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #102: August 06, 2005, 09:58:14 PM »
Anyone notice that the Nats started their slump right around the time of our very first gameday thread here?  Maybe WE are the problem :?

Offline rileyn

« Reply #103: August 06, 2005, 10:01:25 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
Anyone notice that the Nats started their slump right around the time of our very first gameday thread here?  Maybe WE are the problem :?

I blame myself.

luckyexposfan

« Reply #104: August 06, 2005, 10:01:27 PM »
Quote from: "esoteric"
It's hard...I have such an emotional attachment to the sports teams I root for.  It's unhealthy, really.  The fact that Nats loss can (and does) put me in a foul mood the rest of the day is pretty sad.  For one thing, my girlfriend finds it totally perplexing and a bit amusing.

Women don't get it.

Quote from: "esoteric"
edit: Besides, you've have YEARS of heartbreak to toughen up your skin to a leathery hide.  I'm still a young, vulnerable, fledgling Nats fan!  I bruise easy!

We generally never had any reason to expect anything out of the Expos.  The Nats gave us false hope and I can't speak for Ken but it's double-tough for me to watch.  At least last year they just sucked wind the entire year :lol:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #105: August 06, 2005, 10:03:18 PM »
Hurray we're about to set a Major League record for consecutive 1 ups followed by consecutive 1 downs :roll:

Offline carlfish

« Reply #106: August 06, 2005, 10:06:36 PM »
Geesh Rileyn ... shall I expect that line out to right now?

Offline esoteric

« Reply #107: August 06, 2005, 10:07:08 PM »
Quote from: "carlfish"
Geesh Rileyn ... shall I expect that line out to right now?

And there it is!  Amazing!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #108: August 06, 2005, 10:07:48 PM »

Vidro came back at the very same time... He's the sour note in the Nats song...

If you really think it's this forum, try closing it down for the Houston series to see what happens... With the Astros playing so well and the Nats so bad, I don't expect more than a win from them in any series...

luckyexposfan

« Reply #109: August 06, 2005, 10:08:19 PM »
freak GODDAMMIT MOTHERfreakER!!! :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

sorry guys but I just had to get that out of my system.  This crap is getting soooo old it's really pissing me off.  Probably unhealthy to get so worked up about a ballgame huh?  :oops:

Offline carlfish

« Reply #110: August 06, 2005, 10:08:40 PM »
Eso - Rileyn was too close to the real thing, don't you think?

Guys, do have a good weekend and I'll catch you all later.....

Offline The Chief

« Reply #111: August 06, 2005, 10:10:18 PM »
*sigh* another day, another ballgame.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #112: August 06, 2005, 10:10:21 PM »
Quote from: "rileyn"
We got nuthin!

Wilkie and Wilson did their jobs by striking out on balls either in the dirt or at their ankles.  Vidro barely even ran down the line up on his chopper to second.  

There is no way we generate a run against Hoffman in the 9th.  For the record, if we go to the bottom of the 9th down by one run I predict:

Church - strikeout
Castilla - one hop ground out to third (probably on first pitch)
Bennet - will have a good at bad but line out to RF.

Prettt damn close.

Why do we (this board) do it to ourselves every night??  It's a repeat night in and night out.  This is crazy.  

One run losses.

Come from ahead losses.

In these losses we have been outhit 27-11.  Astacio and Williams are nothing compared to what Peavy will bring tomorrow.

Offline esoteric

« Reply #113: August 06, 2005, 10:10:45 PM »
Gentlemen, may recommend some Stoic philosophers?  In particular, I think the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius would speak to us all during this time of agony.

edit: Perhaps some Epictetus?  I quote from the Encheiridion: "The things that are up to us are by nature free, unhindered, and unimpeded; the things that are not up to us are weak, enslaved, hindered, not our own.?

Dunno about you, but the Nats' bats look pretty weak, enslaved, and hindered to me.  Seems like an accurate read for a Roman slave.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #114: August 06, 2005, 10:12:44 PM »
Quote from: "luckyexposfan"
sorry guys but I just had to get that out of my system.

Fans should start booing the players mercilessly... But hey, they (players) would have to shive a git for it to have any effect. The way they are giving a halfassed effort every game, they obviously don't...

Offline rileyn

« Reply #115: August 06, 2005, 10:12:49 PM »
esoteric, we need to get your girlfriend and my wife together so they can comiserate (sp?).  At least my wife has given it up trying to figure it out - she just lets me be until I come back to reality.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #116: August 06, 2005, 10:13:05 PM »
Peavy will crush us like a used beer can.  I hope his finger is too hurt to play otherwise we are like overcooked beef.    :cry:

Offline esoteric

« Reply #117: August 06, 2005, 10:15:05 PM »
Guys, I'm telling you...the solution here lies in Stoicism.  It's the only way we're gonna get through this season without heartbreak.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #118: August 06, 2005, 10:15:50 PM »

Vidro came back at the very same time... He's the sour note in the Nats song...

If you really think it's this forum, try closing it down for the Houston series to see what happens... With the Astros playing so well and the Nats so bad, I don't expect more than a win from them in any series...

2 things happened at the same time this slump occurred:

1)  Vidro returned.

2) Guillen blew up in the dugout at Loaiza and Schneider for not retailiating when Pedro plunked him.

in addition......

3)  Next thing you know Wilson arrives with all of his strikeouts and lame fielding.

4) Church disappears.

5) The bullpen cools off.

6)  The team lost its passion.....and bats.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #119: August 06, 2005, 11:38:56 PM »
Overall pitching has improved by a third of a run per game, its the offense which has dropped by more than a run per game that's killing this team.

There are two big problems with the Nats, Jim Bowden and Frank Robinson. The first (JB) hasn't got the balls to show he has the guts to make the tough decisions regarding the team, and the second problem is Frank Robinson, who makes half his moves out of spite (towards the second guessing media). Every time a reporter asks him how much longer he's gonna leave a player in (or writes about it), that does nothing but anchor that player in the lineup.  Frank has no business managing a major league baseball team. If this team had an owner, both Bowden and Robinson would have been fired already.

natslive

« Reply #120: August 06, 2005, 11:43:03 PM »
Quote from: "luckyexposfan"
sorry guys but I just had to get that out of my system.

Fans should start booing the players mercilessly... But hey, they (players) would have to shive a git for it to have any effect. The way they are giving a halfassed effort every game, they obviously don't...

I yell things at them but doesn't do any good....never any bad words but things like "Wilson - go back to Colorado - I'll buy your ticket"....had the guys in front of me as well as my husband laughing tonight...yelled at Vidro the other night to quit playing like he's on the Orioles......Guzman gets the come on automatic out do something yell.....Vinny gets the anything but a popup yell.....I know part of my problem is that I had no expectations before the year but once they started playing well and got into first place then the expectations began and I find it frustrating for them to keep losing games they have a chance to win......I'd almost rather they lost 10-2 instead of 3-2 as a loss is still a loss....

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #121: August 06, 2005, 11:44:21 PM »
If this team had an owner, both Bowden and Robinson would have been fired already.

quoted for truth.

and let me add, that Bowden wouldn't have been hired.