Author Topic: Nationals vs Braves, Game 3  (Read 17964 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Nationals vs Braves, Game 3
« Reply #475: April 03, 2011, 08:10:09 PM »
We will welease Bwodewick!
I dweaded going to MLB.com to check the box scoah.  I saw on ESPN that the Bwaves wan up 8 wuns on the welievers, then going into the double switch thwead that Bwian was involved in a double switch.  The tewwoah I went thwough became a weality when I saw he gave up 4 wuns, none due to ewwoahs, but I was confused when I saw that is was on 2 hits and a walk.  Wheah did wun #4  come fwom?  Then I wead the twead.  Next game. thwow at Heywahd.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #476: April 03, 2011, 08:26:25 PM »
They really shouldn't.

He did nothing wrong when you look at the proper camera angle.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #477: April 03, 2011, 08:31:27 PM »
My roommmate still believes FIP is a made up, useless stat and that pitchers should just "throw better pitches" and ERA does everything FIP can do. Today, in the first inning, Espinosa missed a play on the first batter (leading to a runner on 1st) and then completely misplayed a routine double play ball, but still managed to get the out at first. On neither play did he receive an error, though Zimmermann's defense clearly cost him baserunners and then, a run. Zimmerman was charged an ER for that play, so his ERA wasn't good, but if not for poor defense, he gets no runs against. Then, Zimmerman's decision to throw to Espinosa instead of getting an out at 1st also was not an error, so it's still an earned run even though the pitcher got a routine ground ball that went haywire because a fielder made a bad decision.

There's no more textbook case for why FIP can be a nice measuring tool, but since they weren't errors, he doesn't think the pitcher should be somewhat vindicated (only in the sense that he may have pitched better than his final line).

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #478: April 03, 2011, 08:41:39 PM »
I'm with ya man.  It kills me to see us drop to 1-2 when other teams are jumping to 3-0.

There are only 4 teams that are 3-0 right now (BAL, TX, PHI, CIN).  The Nats are right in the mix with everyone one else.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #479: April 03, 2011, 09:06:22 PM »
I don't think it will be long until we see Balester.
MLB rules requires Balester or any other player for that matter...  to be in AAA for 6 more days then he or any other player can be called up. Unless there is a injury, DL.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #480: April 03, 2011, 09:09:20 PM »
MLB rules requires Balester or any other player for that matter...  to be in AAA for 6 more days then he or any other player can be called up. Unless there is a injury, DL.

I predict iur rule 5 pick pulls something soon necessitating a DL stint

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #481: April 03, 2011, 09:11:02 PM »
At least I didn't get to see HRod throw 4 WP today.  That would have sent me totally over the edge.

Offline PC

« Reply #482: April 03, 2011, 09:11:41 PM »
SPINMAN!!! Are you implying (or inferring  :D ) that someone should go after Chad Gaudin with a crowbar???  :mg:

...because if you are, I know somebody who knows somebody.  ;)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #483: April 03, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »
My roommmate still believes FIP is a made up, useless stat and that pitchers should just "throw better pitches" and ERA does everything FIP can do. Today, in the first inning, Espinosa missed a play on the first batter (leading to a runner on 1st) and then completely misplayed a routine double play ball, but still managed to get the out at first. On neither play did he receive an error, though Zimmermann's defense clearly cost him baserunners and then, a run. Zimmerman was charged an ER for that play, so his ERA wasn't good, but if not for poor defense, he gets no runs against. Then, Zimmerman's decision to throw to Espinosa instead of getting an out at 1st also was not an error, so it's still an earned run even though the pitcher got a routine ground ball that went haywire because a fielder made a bad decision.

There's no more textbook case for why FIP can be a nice measuring tool, but since they weren't errors, he doesn't think the pitcher should be somewhat vindicated (only in the sense that he may have pitched better than his final line).

Basically the opposite of great defense giving Livan a better line- it's a long season, things average out, I still prefer era because I know how to calculate it (I put less weight on stats where the creators arbitrary decide relative values for component stats)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #484: April 03, 2011, 09:14:37 PM »
I dweaded going to MLB.com to check the box scoah.  I saw on ESPN that the Bwaves wan up 8 wuns on the welievers, then going into the double switch thwead that Bwian was involved in a double switch.  The tewwoah I went thwough became a weality when I saw he gave up 4 wuns, none due to ewwoahs, but I was confused when I saw that is was on 2 hits and a walk.  Wheah did wun #4  come fwom?  Then I wead the twead.  Next game. thwow at Heywahd.

I'm sorry but I'm glad your sawx lost.  That makes my day feel much better.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #485: April 03, 2011, 09:16:58 PM »
There are only 4 teams that are 3-0 right now (BAL, TX, PHI, CIN).  The Nats are right in the mix with everyone one else.

Hmmm we get to hear from baltimore and philly fans for the next few days it sucks.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #486: April 03, 2011, 09:22:28 PM »
I don't think it will be long until we see Balester.

He will replace Broderick before Gaudin, remember that Gaudin is the long-relief guy, Bally isn't going to be a guy who can spot-start or go 3-4-5 innings in relief.  I assume Stammen would be next in line if Gaudin washes out.

Offline PC

« Reply #487: April 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM »
He will replace Broderick before Gaudin, remember that Gaudin is the long-relief guy, Bally isn't going to be a guy who can spot-start or go 3-4-5 innings in relief.  I assume Stammen would be next in line if Gaudin washes out.

Broderick doesn't have to be replaced.  He can, if we can make a trade with the Cardinals but, if not, he can just be the last pitcher in the bullpen and the last pitcher in the bullpen is never very good.  If Broderick's case, he's inexperienced which has the same appearance of not being very good.  It's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Balestar should replace Coffey.

And how is Chad Gaudin a long reliever?  He's pitched for 0.2 inning, total, in two games and he has a 40.50 ERA!  He's the polar opposite of a long reliever!  This team can barely survive him pitching more than a third of an inning at a time!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #488: April 03, 2011, 09:46:11 PM »
They really shouldn't.

He did nothing wrong when you look at the proper camera angle.

Yeah it was a great illustration on how one should have the whole picture before rushing judgement :-[

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #489: April 04, 2011, 12:02:04 AM »
Basically the opposite of great defense giving Livan a better line- it's a long season, things average out, I still prefer era because I know how to calculate it (I put less weight on stats where the creators arbitrary decide relative values for component stats)

Amazingly, Livan's ERA and FIP in 2010 were almost the same (3.66 to 3.95, respectively).