Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 157939 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #325: March 04, 2009, 04:47:13 PM »
2IPA's, too bad you've given up beer, because Total Wine has fresh stacks of the spring release of Dominion Millenium, @ $10.99 per sixpack.  I thought they were going to discontinue it, but maybe they had some in the hopper already.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #326: March 04, 2009, 05:03:38 PM »
I don't know how I have miss this thread.

A buddy of mine drank a lot of Sierra Nevada in college.  Surprisingly, my favorite was the wheat beer.  Troegs also has a very good wheat beer (Dreamweaver), but it is their Dead Reckoning Porter that is one of my favorite beers.

Michelob had a Winter's Bourbon Cast Ale that was quite good, but I had it at a restaurant (O'Charleys) and haven't seen it in stores or anywhere else.  Harrisonburg had an excellent micro brewery called Calhoun's (Cally's now) that carried a bourbon stout that was one of the best drinks I have ever had.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #327: March 04, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
2IPAS sorry to burst your bubble but I read on Yahoo a study where Moderate alcohol use can lead to a higher instance of Breast Cancer!   :(

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_Even_Moderate_Alcohol_Increases_Risk_of_Certain_Cancers_in_Women.asp

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #328: March 04, 2009, 05:13:51 PM »
2IPAS sorry to burst your bubble but I read on Yahoo a study where Moderate alcohol use can lead to a higher instance of Breast Cancer!   :(

2IPA's has sworn off the evil brew, but if you notice there's been a real improvement in local availability of those choice malted beverages since demand fell around the region.   :icon_mrgreen:

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #329: March 04, 2009, 05:18:12 PM »
Hey Tom,

I've asked the chief to move my BEER MADNESS post to here.  Its got a bracket and everything!  I thought you guys would think it was neat.  It mentions all kinds of microbrews.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #330: March 04, 2009, 05:30:18 PM »
Hey Tom,

I've asked the chief to move my BEER MADNESS post to here.  Its got a bracket and everything!  I thought you guys would think it was neat.  It mentions all kinds of microbrews.

It was pretty cool.  I voted for my favorites, and even when I hadn't tasted either beer, I found a way to like one or the other.  Like, I voted against that "Raven" brew.     :spaz:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #331: March 04, 2009, 06:12:34 PM »
Dominion over Hook and Ladder (last year's winner and my go to beer at Nats games) seems questionable to me

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #332: March 04, 2009, 06:17:05 PM »
I don't know how I have miss this thread.

A buddy of mine drank a lot of Sierra Nevada in college.  Surprisingly, my favorite was the wheat beer.  Troegs also has a very good wheat beer (Dreamweaver), but it is their Dead Reckoning Porter that is one of my favorite beers.

Michelob had a Winter's Bourbon Cast Ale that was quite good, but I had it at a restaurant (O'Charleys) and haven't seen it in stores or anywhere else.  Harrisonburg had an excellent micro brewery called Calhoun's (Cally's now) that carried a bourbon stout that was one of the best drinks I have ever had.

Troegs is a kickass PA brewery, along with Penn Brewery, and I believe Victory (that may be NJ). Lionshead out of Wilkes-Barre is the most underrated cheap-ass beer there us. But you must respect the Troegenator!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #333: March 04, 2009, 07:42:29 PM »
2IPA's, too bad you've given up beer, because Total Wine has fresh stacks of the spring release of Dominion Millenium, @ $10.99 per sixpack.  I thought they were going to discontinue it, but maybe they had some in the hopper already.

Has anybody noticed beer prices ratcheting up in the past couple months.  Normally a decent pint was going for like 5-6 bucks. Now I've been finding some as high as 7. 

$7.50 20 or 24 oz (whatever they are, I think 20 though) beers at Caps games are like happy hour prices in comparison. Last time I had Guiness out, it was like $6.50 for the 20 oz which seemed higher than I remember paying in the past. It was Inauguration weekend though

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #334: March 04, 2009, 07:53:40 PM »
Sorry Tom, but this list is horse crap.  They didn't include the DogfishHead Alehouse, which has to be on any list of places with good beer.

Washingtonian on good beer bars:

http://www.washingtonian.com/print/articles/5/0/11265.html#Beer

Offline Dave B

« Reply #335: March 04, 2009, 08:21:31 PM »
Sorry Tom, but this list is horse crap.  They didn't include the DogfishHead Alehouse, which has to be on any list of places with good beer.

its on there.

i object to their dive criteria

i also think they lose credibility as soon as they mention Fado

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #336: March 04, 2009, 09:00:17 PM »

Mathguy, don't shoot the messenger! 

One must first digest the 75 top bars article, then the second link fills in those that didn't get make the A team, but are still noteworthy.

The closest one to me is perhaps the biggest dive of all - the Vienna Inn.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #337: March 04, 2009, 11:50:14 PM »
I find the atmosphere at RFD a little annoying, but the beer selection is all good.  Anyone who pours pints of room temperature cask-conditioned ale has a solid sense of beer history, and I like that.  Not that I would want to be slugging warm, cask-conditioned ale in the sun at the ballpark, but it certainly has its place.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #338: March 05, 2009, 07:38:09 AM »

But I still keep a well-stocked beer fridge in the interests of hospitality, so thanks for the tip.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_Even_Moderate_Alcohol_Increases_Risk_of_Certain_Cancers_in_Women.asp
I take medical findings (favorable and unfavorable) with a big grain of salt. They seem to change every week. In my own family, the folks who got cancer were actually the lightest drinkers.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #339: March 05, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »
I know you can get Cancer by even being a non-drinker but I personally am not taking any chances.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #340: March 05, 2009, 03:51:31 PM »
I find the atmosphere at RFD a little annoying, but the beer selection is all good.  Anyone who pours pints of room temperature cask-conditioned ale has a solid sense of beer history, and I like that.  Not that I would want to be slugging warm, cask-conditioned ale in the sun at the ballpark, but it certainly has its place.

This.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #341: March 10, 2009, 09:21:34 PM »
Dogfish Head is opening a new location in the Greenbriar Shopping Center, Chantilly   :clap:

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #342: March 11, 2009, 05:51:52 AM »
So when will that location open ?  Is that near you Tom ?

Dogfish Head is opening a new location in the Greenbriar Shopping Center, Chantilly   :clap:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #343: March 11, 2009, 08:48:25 AM »
So when will that location open ?  Is that near you Tom ?

Not sure.   I saw the sign last weekend, and drove by yesterday to see if perhaps I might persuade them to draw a pint for me, but alas, the place was overrun with construction workers actually working, not drinking. 

It's about 3 miles away from me, close enough to put my health at risk.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #344: March 11, 2009, 02:29:49 PM »
Could be a nice walk on a good day - then make sure there are cabs available for the trip home.  7Corners is only 2 miles for us.
Not sure.   I saw the sign last weekend, and drove by yesterday to see if perhaps I might persuade them to draw a pint for me, but alas, the place was overrun with construction workers actually working, not drinking. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #345: March 12, 2009, 06:57:40 PM »
Not sure.   I saw the sign last weekend, and drove by yesterday to see if perhaps I might persuade them to draw a pint for me, but alas, the place was overrun with construction workers actually working, not drinking. 

or you can run there and back or just back and it might be a health plus. its carbs for your workout

« Reply #346: March 22, 2009, 07:45:48 PM »
Just sat down with some Fat Tire in a frosty glass I had in the fridge for almost a month because I forgot about it. So far, not bad.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #347: March 22, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »
or you can run there and back or just back and it might be a health plus. its carbs for your workout

The carbs are good.  Beer's a decent recovery beverage, but not a good one to run or jog on (despite the "hashers").  Too many belches up the nose.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #348: March 22, 2009, 09:14:47 PM »
Went to the Capital City Brewery not too long ago. A little bit corporate, but the beer was not bad. The kolsch was a little Americanized but not bad. A pretty nice place and very clean inside.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #349: March 22, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Went to the Capital City Brewery not too long ago. A little bit corporate, but the beer was not bad. The kolsch was a little Americanized but not bad. A pretty nice place and very clean inside.

Which one?  I used to hang out at the one in Shirlington, and kept a "growler" around for cheap refills.