Author Topic: MLB Attendance and NY/Boston-itis discussion  (Read 1946 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
MLB Attendance and NY/Boston-itis discussion
« Topic Start: April 14, 2010, 09:40:42 PM »
I hope the MLB attendance numbers go down this year.  It looks like the Orioles, Indians, Marlins, Pirates, and possibly the Athletics, Padres, Royals, Astros, and Blue Jays will routinely draw fewer than 15,000 a night.

Suck on that, Selig.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #1: April 14, 2010, 09:42:04 PM »
Didn't he say he would eat his hat or something crazy like that?

Avatar bet. The other was posturing with Knorr.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2: April 14, 2010, 10:11:24 PM »
I hope the MLB attendance numbers go down this year.  It looks like the Orioles, Indians, Marlins, Pirates, and possibly the Athletics, Padres, Royals, Astros, and Blue Jays will routinely draw fewer than 15,000 a night.

Suck on that, Selig.

Why would you want that?

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #3: April 14, 2010, 10:59:10 PM »
Why would you want that?

So he wakes the freak up and realizes that nobody consistently cares about the MLB unless they're Red Sox or Yankees fans.  I'm sick of hearing that "the game is more popular than ever" just because he keeps building trendy new stadiums and getting the yuppies to go out to the ballpark.  The luster is wearing off and now it might be time to restore some actual competitive balance to the league.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #4: April 14, 2010, 11:41:58 PM »
Paul Janish hit a home run :shock:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #5: April 14, 2010, 11:42:59 PM »
Paul Janish hit a home run :shock:
He can field, has power, and strike people out with his heater.  Trade for him!

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #6: April 14, 2010, 11:46:25 PM »
He can field, has power, and strike people out with his heater.  Trade for him!

You do a very good Jim Bowden impersonation.

Btw, I said I'd eat my hat if any 2 of the Reds/D'Backs/Tigers/Giants (I think those were the four teams) end up being worse than the Nats.  I will stick with that.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #7: April 14, 2010, 11:47:10 PM »
A little late night Vin Scully does the soul good.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #8: April 14, 2010, 11:48:26 PM »
Btw, I said I'd eat my hat if any 2 of the Reds/D'Backs/Tigers/Giants (I think those were the four teams) end up being worse than the Nats.  I will stick with that.

Wow, talk about a safe bet.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #9: April 14, 2010, 11:56:57 PM »
Hmm, Jamie Burke has 1.0 IP and a 9.00 ERA actually.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #10: April 15, 2010, 12:33:10 AM »

Yeah well PANats laughed at me when I said they all had a better chance of contending than the Nats.  I've been picking on him a lot, but it was like he kept getting free refills at the Kasten Koolaid well this offseason.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #11: April 15, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »

Well the semantics of "playoff chances" caused it to unravel. The DBacks won't get the wildcard nor will they beat the Dodgers, for instance. Same with the Reds and the Cardinals.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #12: April 15, 2010, 03:58:51 AM »
Well the semantics of "playoff chances" caused it to unravel. The DBacks won't get the wildcard nor will they beat the Dodgers, for instance. Same with the Reds and the Cardinals.
Uh, dummy, the Nats have to contend with the reigning NL Champions.  You think NL East teams have some cakewalk yet the Diamondbacks and Reds have it tough because of the Cards and Dodgers?

Let me make it simple:

Dodgers + Rockies = Phillies + Braves (disputable, but it's close enough) > Cardinals + Cubs (or Brewers perhaps)

So you're essentially arguing who's better between the Reds, Giants, and Nats.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: April 15, 2010, 08:02:04 AM »
So he wakes the freak up and realizes that nobody consistently cares about the MLB unless they're Red Sox or Yankees fans.  I'm sick of hearing that "the game is more popular than ever" just because he keeps building trendy new stadiums and getting the yuppies to go out to the ballpark.  The luster is wearing off and now it might be time to restore some actual competitive balance to the league.

You're really going to piss off the "Yankees and Red Sox dominance is good for baseball" crowd.

« Reply #14: April 15, 2010, 08:03:29 AM »

POST OF YESTERDAY.

« Reply #15: April 15, 2010, 08:11:07 AM »
Short article and cute picture on the O's lack of attendance. While I couldn't give a crap about the Os, it does feel good knowing some other team is the attendance whipping boy this year.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/177932-why-nobodys-going-to-os-games

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #16: April 15, 2010, 08:33:27 AM »
You're really going to piss off the "Yankees and Red Sox dominance is good for baseball" crowd.
Just waking up. feeling good about beating the Twins with Lackey pitching and Jeremy Hermida crushing a 3 run double.  Great to be able to spend money on a quality starter and to acquire a decent bat as a backup when another team is dumping salary. 

What was the question?   Oh, yea.  I do think there needs to be less focus on the NYY and Red Sox from MLB.  At least the Network tries.  But seriously,  the Red Sox first 3 games were on national TV (ESPN, MLB Network, and ESPN again), as was the first game against the Twins.  I did not have to go to a bar to watch 4 out of their first 7 games.  Overexposure?  You betcha.  Looking ahead, I think there are a ton of early season broadcasts to come for those teams, and it is not even pennant race time. No excuses. There are potentially better TV markets than Boston.  Maybe you don't put the Nats on, but where are the White Sox and Angels?

« Reply #17: April 15, 2010, 09:01:48 AM »
I wish I could find the article again, but there was this article with stats that showed that when the Red Sox/Yanks are in the playoffs, it is good for baseball. People watch. However, if the Red Sox/Yanks make it to the World Series, it is bad for baseball. Outside the Boston/NY market and the team's market they are playing, no one watches.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: April 15, 2010, 09:21:32 AM »
Then wouldn't you want yankees (lagest market) in every year? Did anyone watch Phillies v Rays?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #19: April 15, 2010, 09:29:58 AM »
I wish I could find the article again, but there was this article with stats that showed that when the Red Sox/Yanks are in the playoffs, it is good for baseball. People watch. However, if the Red Sox/Yanks make it to the World Series, it is bad for baseball. Outside the Boston/NY market and the team's market they are playing, no one watches.

Meanwhile clubs like the Orioles only fill the park when those two teams come to town, whereas when they were competitive, Camden Yards was filled with Orioles fans.  Now they, and many other clubs, have been reduced to begging for crumbs.

The Boston/NY nexus of baseball interest is eroding interest in many other markets, to a greater extent than those two markets alone can replace.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #20: April 15, 2010, 09:39:07 AM »
Meanwhile clubs like the Orioles only fill the park when those two teams come to town, whereas when they were competitive, Camden Yards was filled with Orioles fans.  Now they, and many other clubs, have been reduced to begging for crumbs.

The Boston/NY nexus of baseball interest is eroding interest in many other markets, to a greater extent than those two markets alone can replace.

I can see that argument for other teams in the AL east, though whether or not those two markets can make up for eroding interest in Tampa, Baltimore, and Toronto is a much closer question. I don't see how you can blame NY/Boston for a lack of interest here, in Miami, or Kansas City

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: April 15, 2010, 09:45:30 AM »
I can see that argument for other teams in the AL east, though whether or not those two markets can make up for eroding interest in Tampa, Baltimore, and Toronto is a much closer question. I don't see how you can blame NY/Boston for a lack of interest here, in Miami, or Kansas City

Miami is a different situation, but for most of the struggling clubs, lack of hope at competing is the major factor.

« Reply #22: April 15, 2010, 09:49:16 AM »
The MLB needs a salary cap. It might not fix everything, but it would help immensely. Unfortunately the MLB is too corrupt, crooked and seedy to make a level playing field happen. Red Sox and Yanks would be extremely against such a thing so it must be bad for the MLB as a whole. :roll:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: April 15, 2010, 09:54:22 AM »
The MLB needs a salary cap. It might not fix everything, but it would help immensely. Unfortunately the MLB is too corrupt, crooked and seedy to make a level playing field happen. Red Sox and Yanks would be extremely against such a thing so it must be bad for the MLB as a whole. :roll:

So it could be like basketball with the Lakers/Spurs/Celtics winning every year?

« Reply #24: April 15, 2010, 10:01:13 AM »
So it could be like basketball with the Lakers/Spurs/Celtics winning every year?

I don't watch basketball so I couldn't tell you who even won last season.