Poll

Who do you want to see manage the Nats in 2014?

Cal Ripken
8 (17%)
Trent Jewett
0 (0%)
Randy Knorr
11 (23.4%)
Dave Martinez
5 (10.6%)
Tony LaRusa
1 (2.1%)
Jay Bell
0 (0%)
Matt Williams
15 (31.9%)
Charlie Manuel
1 (2.1%)
Dusty Baker
0 (0%)
Other
6 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Fire [insert name here]: The 2014 Manager Sweepstakes  (Read 26896 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Manuel as a possibility for the Nats job? I just threw up in my mouth.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
Hiring a philly reject to coach the Nats?  Sadly sounds like something I wouldn't put past this team.  From what I've read. 

Offline Mattionals

Randy Knorr.  #KnorrFor14

Offline DPMOmaha

I'm sorry, where is there any linking Rizzo to having interest in Manuel? I'd be beyond shocked if he's on their radar.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'm jumping on the Knorr for evermore bandwagon. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Knorr.

Offline ZIM4MVP

Im holding out hope that Girardi gets tired of the BS in NY

Offline RobDibblesGhost

MLBTradeRumors:

Former Orioles great Cal Ripken is more interested in a big-league managerial job than he has been in the past, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports. His interest could extend to the Nationals job, which will be open once Davey Johnson retires at the end of the season. "I’ve been asked to interview for many managing jobs, and I never said yes because I was never serious about it, and I thought it would be wrong to go through that process," says Ripken. "I haven’t been asked by [the Nationals]. ... I think I would be more curious at this stage in my life than I have been."

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
The extent of Cal Ripken's managerial experience is piping in during post-game interviews of managers on TBS.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I would rather give Brian Daubach a shot than bring in Ripken.  Of course, the Dauber had 2 or 3 20HR seasons with a team I'm familiar with :mg:

Offline ZIM4MVP

Ripken was my favorite player growing up and would win over a lot of people in the DMV.  With that said, we don't need to add fans or please anyone, its time to win.  I'd rather have a proven manager than a first timer.  Not to mention Im sure Ripken would leave us for Baltimore when an opening is available.

Offline Mattionals

Other managers have won without any experience.  Matheny being the best example.  Mattingly is doing well with LA.  Ventura did a lot with some questionable talent last year on the South Side.

That being said, I'd pass on Ripken unless he was 110% committed to being the Nats manager.  He'd definitely command respect, but I'd rather have a manager who GETS respect rather than commanding it.  Davey commanded respect and now he is falling asleep in the 3rd inning and he seems to let everyone get away with all their "crimes".  He's like the fun Grandpa that never gets you in trouble.  This team doesn't need fun Grandpa, they need a "nails" guy with fire in his belly.

Offline DPMOmaha

I want the best guy for the job.  If that's a guy with  lot of experience or a guy without, that's for Rizzo to determine, but the right guy is the right guy regardless of their experience.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
All the orioles lovers want the current manager and former oriole to be replaced by another of their own.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

I bet Angelos would be pissed if Ripken becomes our next manager :stir:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Other managers have won without any experience.  Matheny being the best example.  Mattingly is doing well with LA.  Ventura did a lot with some questionable talent last year on the South Side.

That being said, I'd pass on Ripken unless he was 110% committed to being the Nats manager.  He'd definitely command respect, but I'd rather have a manager who GETS respect rather than commanding it.  Davey commanded respect and now he is falling asleep in the 3rd inning and he seems to let everyone get away with all their "crimes".  He's like the fun Grandpa that never gets you in trouble.  This team doesn't need fun Grandpa, they need a "nails" guy with fire in his belly.

Mattingly was Torre's bench coach for years. I don't know what Matheny did before getting the gig. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I was the first Knorr vote. Glad you folks are jumping on the bandwagon.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Mattingly was Torre's bench coach for years. I don't know what Matheny did before getting the gig. 

Nothing, he was just a former player.  He inherited a team that had just lost Pujols to the Angels.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Wonder if Will Clark has any interest in managing? Matt Williams is one guy I like. Maybe see if we can pry Tony Gwynn away from san Diego St?

Offline PatsNats28

I was the first Knorr vote. Glad you folks are jumping on the bandwagon.

I feel like KnorrForYourMoney wins that one...

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Nothing, he was just a former player.  He inherited a team that had just lost Pujols to the Angels.
mostly nothing, but a lot more than Cal.

Matheny was still in the game in the front office. I think he was a special assistant to the GM.

Offline DPMOmaha

mostly nothing, but a lot more than Cal.

Matheny was still in the game in the front office. I think he was a special assistant to the GM.
He hasn't been working for an MLB team, but it's not like he's been away from baseball, either.

Offline Baseball is Life

I lost a little respect for Knorr tonight. His tough guy approach is way too obvious. He's trying to make his mark I get it but I saw the replay of Harper running down the line and he let up only after he knew he was going to be out.

Even if you think that, you pull the kid aside and use it as a teaching moment. You don't call him out.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Knorr for manager. Truth can hurt, and it was obvious Harper dogged it after trying to win the game on his own. Could have kept the line moving but instead tried to play hero, lost, and then jogged down the line. He's not going to roll over like Davey would.

Williams will also be the same way.

Either one works for me.

Offline Baseball is Life

You don't win in MLB by pissing off your players by calling them out in the media. Knorr will learn that if he becomes the manager.

The below quote on Harper from today's piece by Kilgore shows a particular heavy handedness. And I'm a Knorr guy

“That’s just him,” Knorr said. “He’s just 20, and sometimes, he just pouts. Sometimes, he pouts. I don’t know why. That’s the thing about him. You can’t be this guy who says you’re going to play hard every time out and then not do it. You can’t do that. He’ll learn that. He’ll get better with it. He’s 20 years old. He’s still a kid, and sometimes kids pout if things don’t go their way.”