Author Topic: Security Company Recommendations  (Read 2612 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Security Company Recommendations
« Reply #25: December 13, 2011, 11:06:22 AM »
bumper cars with a dusting of snow, cops taking naps in cruisers, metro elevators serving as toilettes for the homeless...

As an aside, the DC 529 Savings Plan works with a company that specializes in hippy-liberal mutual funds :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #26: December 13, 2011, 11:06:44 AM »

If you are a freaking robot, yes. If you want to sleep better at night, and 20 bucks a month will do that for you, then it is a good investment.

I don't know what you mean about the robot thing.  Isn't paying $20 a month for a security system a risk mitigation strategy?  Not sure where we differ here.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #27: December 13, 2011, 11:07:54 AM »
No, I'm referring to security as a concept wherever one might be.

So, you have an exact date and time when you're going to die do you?  :stir:

As an aside, the DC 529 Savings Plan works with a company that specializes in hippy-liberal mutual funds :lol:

You'd be better off betting it on ponies or the coin flip in the Super Bowl.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #28: December 13, 2011, 11:10:36 AM »
So, you have an exact date and time when you're going to die do you?  :stir:

Random my friend, random.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #29: December 13, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »
I don't know what you mean about the robot thing.  Isn't paying $20 a month for a security system a risk mitigation strategy?  Not sure where we differ here.

Even if the risk is small, the positive psychological effect of the system can be huge.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #30: December 13, 2011, 11:11:51 AM »
Random my friend, random.

Then what are you being secured from?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #31: December 13, 2011, 11:13:08 AM »
Even if the risk is small, the positive psychological effect of the system can be huge.

Sure, just look all those suckers pouring money in 401Ks, buying "therapeutic holograms", and praying.  People like to do things that are a waste of time (and money) to feel better about things they can't control.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #32: December 13, 2011, 11:13:43 AM »
Then what are you being secured from?

Random risks that may otherwise be fatal can often be mitigated. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #33: December 13, 2011, 11:14:43 AM »

I'm with you.

Sure, odds are small, but that alarm is set and I sleep great at night.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #34: December 13, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »
Random risks that may otherwise be fatal can often be mitigated. 

Sure, but no one escapes death. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: December 13, 2011, 11:26:20 AM »

anyone who puts money in one of those is a fool- schools assume any money in a kids name will be liquidated to pay for educational expenses when they calculate aid. I have my daughters fund (i know she's only 1, but I'm anal) in a roth ira in my name. For aid calculations, it's my retirement, in reality, you can withdraw for a child's education

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #36: December 13, 2011, 11:26:44 AM »

Keith Richards anyone?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #37: December 13, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #38: December 13, 2011, 11:29:26 AM »

One may escape multiple episodes where death presents itself.  Like that time we were drinking jack green on the Liberty lifts, then stopped by the Ott House for $0.40 drafts, then came down 15 towards Frederick, and Cameron took a breather from making out with that chick he'd picked up to see Scott driving down the wrong side of 15 and he told Scott he was on the wrong side of the road and Scott said "I know I'm on the wrong side of the road, I can see I'm on the wrong side of the road, don't you tell me how to drive" and then there was a car coming headon and at the last moment he jerked the wheel and the Pinto began to careen back and forth on various wheels between 1 and 4 and finally left the road and skidded down the embankment and came to a stop 12" from the telephone pole.

Somehow, we escaped it that time.   :shrug:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #39: December 13, 2011, 11:35:21 AM »
I have my daughters fund (i know she's only 1, but I'm anal) in a roth ira in my name.

:clap:

Sanity.  Good thing you set that Roth up now before you became a total high roller, huh?  :P

Somehow, we escaped it that time.   :shrug:

I'm not sure what's funnier - "don't tell me how to drive" while going the wrong way or that there were more than two people in a Pinto and it was moving.  You know I'm just :poke: at you, right?  Just a lot of heavy crap on my mind today so a bit more morose than usual.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #40: December 13, 2011, 11:45:12 AM »
anyone who puts money in one of those is a fool- schools assume any money in a kids name will be liquidated to pay for educational expenses when they calculate aid. I have my daughters fund (i know she's only 1, but I'm anal) in a roth ira in my name. For aid calculations, it's my retirement, in reality, you can withdraw for a child's education

I might roll my MD plan into an IRA if possible.,,

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #41: December 13, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »
I'm not sure what's funnier - "don't tell me how to drive" while going the wrong way or that there were more than two people in a Pinto and it was moving. 

Well, it was take the Pinto or my Vega, sort of a no-brainer.

Too bad for Cameron, he was going to get lucky that night but the incident sort of spoiled the mood.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #42: December 13, 2011, 01:36:11 PM »
The monitored alarm systems are a scam. It's best to get an audible alarm system. I find that those are more effective at scaring off perps. The monitored systems are basically useless. It takes them 10-15 minutes to make a call to a police dispatch center, then another 10-15 minutes for the police dispatchers to give it out to a patrol unit. Depending on how close that officer is, it might take up to 30 more minutes to actually get that unit to your house. So basically you could be looking at a response time of one hour. Alarms also can be costly to the homeowner. Most jurisdictions have fees for false alarms. Probably 99% of alarms are false.

My recommendation:

I've got a 95 lb German Shepherd. Nobody messes with her. You even come around my driveway and she goes absolutely nuts. That dog is ten times better than an alarm system.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #43: December 13, 2011, 01:48:10 PM »
The monitored alarm systems are a scam. It's best to get an audible alarm system.

When my wife lived in Trinidad her roommate was deaf and had one of those super loud alarm systems with mega strobe lights installed.  Didn't stop people from gaining entry from the roof or get the neighbors to call the cops, but it was a good show when it went off. 

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #44: December 13, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »
Crooks also know the response time when it comes to alarms. They have no problem burglarizing a home with an alarm system. They will generally be in and out within 10-15 minutes. That's plenty of time to get the job done before the police arrive. The audible alarms are different because they generally piss off neighbors, which leads to calling the police. They don't wait 15 minutes to call after hearing the audible alarm. You might get lucky and have a patrol unit in the area also.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #45: December 13, 2011, 02:23:16 PM »
Belgian Shepherds are awesome also. You can get one of these trained in Shutzhund. Trust me...you will be good to go.

This kennel belongs to a good friend of mine. She and her husband train Dutch Shepherds for law enforcement. They have dogs in use by Maryland State Police and W.Va State Police..as well as several county and city departments in those states. They also sell dogs privately. All of their dogs are Schutzhund trained.

http://www.vandaliadutchshepherds.com/ourdutchshepherds.htm

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #46: December 13, 2011, 03:00:04 PM »
Crooks also know the response time when it comes to alarms. They have no problem burglarizing a home with an alarm system. They will generally be in and out within 10-15 minutes. That's plenty of time to get the job done before the police arrive. The audible alarms are different because they generally piss off neighbors, which leads to calling the police. They don't wait 15 minutes to call after hearing the audible alarm. You might get lucky and have a patrol unit in the area also.

When a guy is not in his right head and breaking in, it's good to have an audible and monitored system.

Also, my 35lb husky, who actually can look scary, hid under the bed :( She was abused before we adopted her.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #47: December 13, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
I thought Huskies got bigger than that.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #48: December 13, 2011, 03:02:39 PM »

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #49: December 13, 2011, 03:04:48 PM »
I thought Huskies got bigger than that.

She's up to 43 now actually, the break in was a while ago. She's well within breed standards - it's the 80lb huskies that are out of standard.

Malamutes are freaking huge and over 100lbs.