Author Topic: Misc. Troubleshooting  (Read 3548 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Misc. Troubleshooting
« Topic Start: September 21, 2011, 08:10:23 PM »
Chief, remember I reported with FF that the quoted text (in the quote box) was larger than the reply? Here's a sample. It doesn't seem to be any setting that I can find.

I still love it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Misc. Troubleshooting
« Reply #1: September 21, 2011, 08:50:06 PM »
What's the other issue?

I'm not able to duplicate your smiley problem.  Maybe you just need to be more patient? :mg:

What browser are you using?

I had the smiley problem recur while at work today, and it's been plaguing me tonight.  First time I hit the "more" button, I get a pop up normally but the entire field is blank.  Hit it a second time, I get the library of them all. 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2: September 21, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »
Chief, remember I reported with FF that the quoted text (in the quote box) was larger than the reply? Here's a sample. It doesn't seem to be any setting that I can find.

I still love it.
I had the smiley problem recur while at work today, and it's been plaguing me tonight.  First time I hit the "more" button, I get a pop up normally but the entire field is blank.  Hit it a second time, I get the library of them all. 

If you can both give me the specifications of the machine and browser you're using when you're having these problems, I'll give it another look, but I'm still unable to duplicate either issue so far.

@Gburg - both font sizes are set the same in the forum's style sheet, so the blame lies with your browser.  I might recommend upgrading to a newer version of Firefox, if that's what you're using (and if you're able to do so)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #3: September 21, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »
I am using 6.0.2. This has happened on both my home machine and my work machine. Works the way it should with Chrome and IE8.

It's no big deal. Just wanted to let you know. Prolly during one of these minor upgrades it will straighten itself out.

If you can both give me the specifications of the machine and browser you're using when you're having these problems, I'll give it another look, but I'm still unable to duplicate either issue so far.

@Gburg - both font sizes are set the same in the forum's style sheet, so the blame lies with your browser.  I might recommend upgrading to a newer version of Firefox, if that's what you're using (and if you're able to do so)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #4: September 21, 2011, 09:05:43 PM »
I am using 6.0.2. This has happened on both my home machine and my work machine. Works the way it should with Chrome and IE8.

It's no big deal. Just wanted to let you know. Prolly during one of these minor upgrades it will straighten itself out.

Do you have any add-ons installed that might effect font rendering?  I use Firefox 6 all day every day and I haven't once seen it do that.  I don't like not knowing the answer! :P

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: September 21, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »

I'm using IE 8 on this home laptop, a cheap Gateway NV55C.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #6: September 21, 2011, 09:10:31 PM »

Any reason not to upgrade to IE9?  Or use the latest version Firefox or Chrome?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: September 21, 2011, 09:14:49 PM »
Any reason not to upgrade to IE9?  Or use the latest version Firefox or Chrome?

Sure - inertia.

:shrug:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #8: September 21, 2011, 09:21:41 PM »
Sure - inertia.

:shrug:

It's just IE in general is not known for being the best at standards compliance, especially the older versions.  I don't have IE8 on any of my machines and IE9 can't be rolled back once installed, so it's a bit difficult for me to even try to reproduce your problem.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #9: September 21, 2011, 10:14:42 PM »
What's the final version of IE for XP?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #10: September 21, 2011, 10:15:20 PM »
What's the final version of IE for XP?

8.  Good point.

So get a better browser, tom :P

Offline Nathan

« Reply #11: September 21, 2011, 10:17:15 PM »
Actually, that's wasn't my point, but yeah, good point!  :lmao:

My point was that I'll use IE at work to see if I get the issue as well, but I forgot what version we had.  I just knew it was whatever the latest for XP was (I think).

But for realz, get Chrome or FF.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #12: September 21, 2011, 11:04:08 PM »
What are the + - buttons next to "Quote"?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #13: September 21, 2011, 11:17:45 PM »

Sure enough, swung at 100mph ball four!

Multi-quote.  You hit the + for each post you want to quote, and then when you reply, it quotes all of them.  Works between different threads and boards, too.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #14: September 21, 2011, 11:54:02 PM »
Multi-quote.  You hit the + for each post you want to quote, and then when you hit quote or reply, it quotes all of them.  Works between different threads and boards, too.

bump for explaining.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #15: September 22, 2011, 12:30:29 AM »
Multi-quote.  You hit the + for each post you want to quote, and then when you hit quote or reply, it quotes all of them.  Works between different threads and boards, too.

bump for explaining.

I didn't know you kept it.  It doesn't seem to work when I hit "quote" though, only when I hit "reply."

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #16: September 22, 2011, 12:34:47 AM »

Haven't got it to work between threads yet. Clicked + on a post, clicked through to the index, clicked through to this thread, hit "quote," didn't get the random other thing. I doing it wrong?

Also, whoever complained that quoted post text was bigger than regular post text was actually right! Compare reply #240 to reply #241. Whoever that was, I'm sorry I thought you were a doofus.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #17: September 22, 2011, 12:35:03 AM »
One thing I have noticed that (I think) on the old software, viewing a thread marked the entire thread as read, whereas on 2.0 if you view the first page but not any following pages, it still shows up as new until you've read the last page.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #18: September 22, 2011, 07:41:24 AM »
I didn't know you kept it.  It doesn't seem to work when I hit "quote" though, only when I hit "reply."

You're right, you have to use "reply".  Edited my explanation accordingly.

Haven't got it to work between threads yet. Clicked + on a post, clicked through to the index, clicked through to this thread, hit "quote," didn't get the random other thing. I doing it wrong?

As Nathan mentioned, you have to use the reply button when multi-quoting.

Also, whoever complained that quoted post text was bigger than regular post text was actually right! Compare reply #240 to reply #241. Whoever that was, I'm sorry I thought you were a doofus.

Nope.  I dunno what you guys are doing, but it's definitely a browser rendering error.  I have yet to reproduce this, and as I explained to Gburg, the font sizes for quotes and posts are exactly the same in the board's style sheet, so any discrepancy is the fault of the browser - unless you're quoting a post with a user-chosen font size, of course.

One thing I have noticed that (I think) on the old software, viewing a thread marked the entire thread as read, whereas on 2.0 if you view the first page but not any following pages, it still shows up as new until you've read the last page.

I would imagine that's by design.  Makes sense to me.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #19: September 22, 2011, 08:01:38 AM »
Questions for the font bandits (Gburg and houston)

-does the font size return to normal if you refresh the page?  What about if you clear your browser cache?  Un-install any add-ons?

-do the smaller fonts show up for EVERY post that has a quote, or only randomly?

I tried using IE8 in a virtual machine last night and was still not able to duplicate your problem - popup worked and populated all smilies on the first click.  I'll try it again at random intervals.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #20: September 22, 2011, 08:44:16 AM »
Questions for the font bandits (Gburg and houston)

-does the font size return to normal if you refresh the page?  What about if you clear your browser cache?  Un-install any add-ons?

-do the smaller fonts show up for EVERY post that has a quote, or only randomly?

I tried using IE8 in a virtual machine last night and was still not able to duplicate your problem - popup worked and populated all smilies on the first click.  I'll try it again at random intervals.

Same for me re smilies on IE8 at the work pc.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #21: September 22, 2011, 09:50:44 AM »
Nope.  I dunno what you guys are doing, but it's definitely a browser rendering error.  I have yet to reproduce this, and as I explained to Gburg, the font sizes for quotes and posts are exactly the same in the board's style sheet, so any discrepancy is the fault of the browser - unless you're quoting a post with a user-chosen font size, of course.

Just realized that you shoehorned in three new words to the quote and therefore it really was honest-to-god longer. Sneaky bastard!

Offline blue911

« Reply #22: September 22, 2011, 09:53:53 AM »
What the hell is up with the time stamp?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #23: September 22, 2011, 09:57:13 AM »
I thought maybe you were in Dijon.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #24: September 22, 2011, 09:58:12 AM »
:rofl:

I know how that happened.  Fixed.