Author Topic: If the Nationals buy at the deadline, who do we want to acquire?  (Read 42025 times)

Offline Mattionals

Need outfielders who can hit and at least field adequately. Span will likely be on DL, no matter what Williams, Rizzo, or management hopes. That leaves Harper as the only starting OF, plus Taylor, a rookie who is playing his AAA season in LF...now CF...for the Nats.

Werth is going to be back soon, and even if he doesn't hit, he will be in the lineup because of his status with the club. I'm guessing the Nats won't go with a bat at the deadline as they are probably pretty happy with Robinson's production at 1B or in LF, and Taylor will slide over to CF if Denard goes on the DL.

I feel the Nats sent scouts to Oakland less to look at a starter and more to look at Clippard. They very likely scouted Chapman these past few days as well. I'd say the Nats will probably scout Kimbrel as well.

First and foremost, the team needs to get a healthy Rendon, Span, Werth, and Zimmerman back. The last one is probably the least worrisome with Robinson's production. I'd say after that, it's about getting a reliever to help bolster the bullpen. I don't think the team is confident with really anyone at this point, and another high leverage situation arm can help solidify some things.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Trade for Tulo. Put him at third, put Danny at SS, put Escobar at second, and move Rendon to first.

Offline Matugi

Trade for Tulo. Put him at third, put Danny at SS, put Escobar at second, and move Rendon to first.

God I wish.  Tulo would be unquestionably the best SS of his generation if he could stay healthy.  But Rendon at first makes no sense.  You'd be better off putting Danny at first and Rendon at 3B and having Escobar play second and Tulo play short

Offline Monarch

God I wish.  Tulo would be unquestionably the best SS of his generation if he could stay healthy.  But Rendon at first makes no sense.  You'd be better off putting Danny at first and Rendon at 3B and having Escobar play second and Tulo play short

acquiring Tulo would make the Nats the best all-DL team in the history of MLB.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Werth is going to be back soon, and even if he doesn't hit, he will be in the lineup because of his status with the club. I'm guessing the Nats won't go with a bat at the deadline as they are probably pretty happy with Robinson's production at 1B or in LF, and Taylor will slide over to CF if Denard goes on the DL.

I feel the Nats sent scouts to Oakland less to look at a starter and more to look at Clippard. They very likely scouted Chapman these past few days as well. I'd say the Nats will probably scout Kimbrel as well.

First and foremost, the team needs to get a healthy Rendon, Span, Werth, and Zimmerman back. The last one is probably the least worrisome with Robinson's production. I'd say after that, it's about getting a reliever to help bolster the bullpen. I don't think the team is confident with really anyone at this point, and another high leverage situation arm can help solidify some things.

You and I may have different definitions of "soon," but Werth won't be back until early August at best.  Robinson's a terrible outfielder, and Moore is even worse.  That's another 17 games of Matt den Dekker in LF every day. 

Offline Mattionals

You and I may have different definitions of "soon," but Werth won't be back until early August at best.  Robinson's a terrible outfielder, and Moore is even worse.  That's another 17 games of Matt den Dekker in LF every day.

Early August is closer than you think. ASB will take up four days from Monday through Thursday of next week, and then it's practically two weeks until August. What I am trying to convey here is that it makes no sense to trade for a guy that will be used for at best, 3 weeks and is likely sent to the bench when Werth gets back.

Offline Slateman

Early August is closer than you think. ASB will take up four days from Monday through Thursday of next week, and then it's practically two weeks until August. What I am trying to convey here is that it makes no sense to trade for a guy that will be used for at best, 3 weeks and is likely sent to the bench when Werth gets back.
We also have to wait until he gets his 100 or so PAs before being actually able to hit. So, basically, we don't get Werth back until the first week of September, at the earliest.

And I'm still not convinced he will return to what he used to be. He doesn't have a lot speed anymore, he can't throw worth a darn, and he will lack power. We basically have a good Jose Vidro. Which means our offense will once again be station to station.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats

NO! Trade Giolito for Zobrist!!!!!! OR a RP!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

:lol:

Offline Matugi

Tulo, Rendon, Bryce, Strasburg...hall of fame talent, hall of shame stability

Offline aspenbubba

We also have to wait until he gets his 100 or so PAs before being actually able to hit. So, basically, we don't get Werth back until the first week of September, at the earliest.

I have seen the 100 PA reference thrown out on this board frequently. I'm not certain where it comes from. No one gets 100 in ST and are lucky if they average 50-60 PA's if they are being considered a starter. I do realize that some players start the regular season " cold " and a few others are" hot" from OD.

Offline HalfSmokes

I have seen the 100 PA reference thrown out on this board frequently. I'm not certain where it comes from. No one gets 100 in ST and are lucky if they average 50-60 PA's if they are being considered a starter. I do realize that some players start the regular season " cold " and a few others are" hot" from OD.

someone once claimed that's how long it took Zimmerman (I think it was zimmerman) to start hitting after coming off the DL- I think it passed from board meme to actually accepted by some people along the way

Offline Slateman

someone once claimed that's how long it took Zimmerman (I think it was zimmerman) to start hitting after coming off the DL- I think it passed from board meme to actually accepted by some people along the way
Sure, why not.

Point is, the Nationals need to get another bat because, honestly, if the Mets do, the division will be dog fight. And that's not what you want.

Offline Mattionals

And I'm still not convinced he will return to what he used to be. He doesn't have a lot speed anymore, he can't throw worth a darn, and he will lack power. We basically have a good Jose Vidro. Which means our offense will once again be station to station.

Of course he isn't the Werth of old, because he is, well, old (for a baseball player). Still, they aren't going to bench him in favor of anyone else who is brought in because he is Jayson Werth. Not having Rendon probably is the one that hurts the most, so getting him back should be paramount.

Offline HalfSmokes

Of course he isn't the Werth of old, because he is, well, old (for a baseball player). Still, they aren't going to bench him in favor of anyone else who is brought in because he is Jayson Werth. Not having Rendon probably is the one that hurts the most, so getting him back should be paramount.

they'll bench him if they think he's done- look at home many at bats Zimmerman got in the playoffs

Offline DPMOmaha

Might have been me, actually. Boz mentioned it in a column or something.

Offline Ray D

Boz mentioned it in a column or something.
Probably read it here.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

As I said, 17 games from now to the end of July.  Although I wouldn't assume such a player would get benched when Werth is back.  There are plenty of other holes to fill (1B, for example, possibly CF if Span is still out and the guy is better than Taylor) even if nobody else gets hurt.  If the only players available are LF-only guys and/or Span or Zimmerman will be back anytime before the middle of August, there's probably no reason to make a move unless it's an absolute steal.  But if we're suddenly talking about a player who's going to play 65 games instead of 17 and is substantially (say 2 wins) better over that time than what we are running out there right now (replacement level and worse), you'd need to think about it.

Offline aspenbubba

I think you are on to something.

Offline Mattionals

Can there be a package for Chapman and Bruce that doesn't have Turner, Giolito, Taylor, or Ross in it?

Offline Slateman

Can there be a package for Chapman and Bruce that doesn't have Turner, Giolito, Taylor, or Ross in it?

Doubtful. Ross is an easy one to give up. I would give up Taylor and move Harper to CF. I just don't think I really want Bruce.

Offline aBaltoNat

Doubtful. Ross is an easy one to give up. I would give up Taylor and move Harper to CF. I just don't think I really want Bruce.

Why is he an easy one to give up? We've actually seen him against big leaguers.

Offline Slateman

Why is he an easy one to give up? We've actually seen him against big leaguers.

This team has plenty of depth. He was the add in to thr Souza for Turner deal. This pen has to get better before the playoffsm

Offline whytev

Cole?

Offline Slateman