Poll

What job should Slate take?

Consulting Firm (Emergency Management Analyst)
0 (0%)
Government Contractor (Operations Facilities Manager)
3 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: No job offers for 8 months ...  (Read 708 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
No job offers for 8 months ...
« Topic Start: March 01, 2012, 10:35:09 PM »
and now I have two within a month.

So I was working as a temp receptionist at a major government contractor. 2-4 week gig. Then someone tells me the receptionist position is open.

I'm doing a good job, staying on top of things and generally being a good employee so I get recommended for the job. Apparently the office I work at and another office close by share phone lines. So the receptionist over there asks me to send her my resume. I do, think nothing of it.

I get a job at another company that's a consulting firm, asking me to come in for an interview. I come in, interview and it goes well because they offer me the position. Not having anything better (it was 10+ thousand more than the receptionist job), I signed the offer. The position is called Emergency Management Exercise Analyst.

Well today, I got a call from the government contractor, essentially offering me a position. Only not for the reception position that I thought. Its for the Facilities Operations Manager position. I was kind of surprised and then ... well ... now I don't know what to do.

I've had a few threads on job searching and everyone asks me what I want to do. I honestly don't care. However, I did come up with 4 "dream jobs"

1. Be the starting shortstop, catcher or closer for the Washington Nationals. Will never happen.
2. Federal law enforcement. Actually been a desire of mine for a while. But, the federal government isn't really hiring. When they do take applications, its only for a small time window and its usually a lot of more applicants than they thought.
3. Any job that gets me a 7+ figure salary and won't result in me getting a disease or thrown in prison
4. Operations center work. I love them. Did them in the Marine Corps. Then I discovered that in the civilian world you actually get an equal number of days off for the days you work (4 days on, 4 days off). I pulled 12+ hour shifts every day in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So with that in mind, these are the two job break downs

Consulting Firm (Emergency Management Exercise Analyst)
Very much a sit down job. It's a contract for Dept of Homeland Security. Would be a lot of sitting down and and working at a computer. Would get to design exercises for DHS and state governments, primarily their ops centers

+ EM work with DHS could be very career enhancing
+ Got the impression from the interview that they are expecting me to rise quickly and take on a different billet. This has been confirmed in post interview emails and talks ("we have big plans for you")

-/+ Shirt and tie type of place (this doesn't bother me as much as I thought, but I'm betting it could get old)

- Less money (by at least 10k)
- Hour long commute (each way) that would be at least 6 bucks a day to ride Metro. Driving there and parking would take longer and cost more

Defense Contractor (Operations Facilities Manager)
Essentially running day to day type stuff. Making sure maintenance gets done, supplies are ordered and delivered and handling moving of offices and personnel. Would also supervise facility leads and administrative staff. If you're familiar with the Marine Corps, this is essentially they type of position a Company Gunny would be. A lot of mix and match type jobs. A lot of improvising and moving around

+ More money (again, by at least 10k)
+ Company is much larger than the consulting firm. A lot of opportunities to move up. Always a lot of new contracts coming in too
+ Much shorter commute (20 minutes)
+ Great people. Liked working there when I was the receptionist. Fun and laid back
+ Casual dress code. My supervisor there wore blue jeans and a company polo shirt

-/+ Clearance. Not sure if it would be renewed or activated since the position doesn't technically require it

- Would have to bail on a job I've accepted
- Would end up with a lot of odd ball jobs that no one else wanted to do
- Not sure if I would be able to get back in to an operations center type environment

So ... what should I do?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: No job offers for 8 months ...
« Reply #1: March 01, 2012, 10:53:23 PM »
Flip a coin? 

Srsly, congrats...

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #2: March 01, 2012, 10:54:06 PM »
Don't know how to answer because I wouldn't want to be in the spot of "You told me to take this one"

It sounds to me like you really want the Contractor job even though some of the tasks may be mundate at times in nature.  Follow your heart.  I'm sure you won't be the first person who's accepted a position and then said you got a better offer.  They may even ask you what would you do if they got closer to that amount?  Then you really would have a hard decision.

If you really want this contractor job, you can honestly tell the consulting firm that you've found something that's a better fit and more money.  What can they say to that?

Do you want to sit at a desk and keep your clearance?

or

Do more "Gunny" type work but get to move around a lot?

I don't know you so I'm can't really say which would be a better fit.  Some people can't stand desk work.

I'm Charlie Brown.  I know I'd be wishy washy over the decision too.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3: March 01, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
See if you can get 10k or even 15k more out of the DHS job.  Also ask for Metro or parking expenses or subsidies. Tell them you have another offer for more money that is closer, but you like this job better. However, you might not be able to pass up more money. It can't hurt to ask, especially since you have another offer to fall back on.

Otherwise, that is a tough one. The first one sounds like a better job, but the less pay and stuff stinks. Although might be offset by promotability. Does it have a clearance

Note sure how stable defense will be going forward. Its not going to be as awesome as it was in terms of growth and job security. It might just level out. The big cuts that are proposed as part of all these debt-reduction deals I think are compared to future growth and not cuts from today's spending levels.. So it might not matter. It just might stop being a gravy train.

Intelligence (possbily related to homeland security) is supposed to boom I think. WAPO had a feature on it two years ago "Top Secret America". See if they mention DHS in there

The first one sounds more intellectually stimulating. Not sure how narrow that job description is and how transferable the skills are.

I would choose the first job, mainly because the other one requires doing many mundane tasks, probably a crap ton of phone calls, and maybe some customer service-type mentality. And I would hate that. Maybe you are a people person though

How old are you? Single? Kids?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #4: March 02, 2012, 06:19:19 AM »
Metro subsidies are a Federal thing and even THAT has been significantly reduced!  When I worked for EDS, we didn't have any subsidy!  I'm not so sure I would make that a deal breaker or not.

Yes experience in DHS gets you into the Intel Community another way. 

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #5: March 02, 2012, 06:34:40 AM »
Metro subsidies are a Federal thing and even THAT has been significantly reduced!  When I worked for EDS, we didn't have any subsidy!  I'm not so sure I would make that a deal breaker or not.

Yes experience in DHS gets you into the Intel Community another way. 
Not necessarily, I work for a govt contractor (Booz) on site in Ballston. We get a choice of paid parking or Metro money from our company.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #6: March 02, 2012, 06:36:52 AM »
More fun, more money, funner people. It'd be hard for me o not take that job.

The DHS job sounds good too, but the advancement and "plans" that they say they have, may never work out.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #7: March 02, 2012, 07:27:56 AM »
The DHS job sounds good too, but the advancement and "plans" that they say they have, may never work out.

Yup, I'm experiencing this first hand right now.  One in hand is werth two in the bush, as they say. 

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #8: March 02, 2012, 07:55:08 AM »
Which are you genuinely more interested in, and does it seem to have good advancement opportunities? Which one pays better (you don't have to say)? I would ask myself those two questions to decide.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #9: March 02, 2012, 08:05:27 AM »
Will dropping the other job damage your career or is it something you accepted but haven't started?

Try looking at it from the perspective of just you and your family.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: March 02, 2012, 08:09:06 AM »
I would be careful about trying to wring more money out of an offer you have accepted, but go with where you feel more comfortable. The other thing to think about is, how big is the consulting firm, how long has it been around for, and are you confident it will still be around in 5 years?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: March 02, 2012, 08:16:40 AM »
Go with your gut feel - which job would give you the most bounce in your step?  Take the bounce.

And hearty congratulations regardless!   

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #12: March 02, 2012, 08:51:39 AM »
i vote #2 - from how you wrote it above it sounds like your heart is leaning in that direction.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #13: March 02, 2012, 08:52:35 AM »
This, absolutely. And there's research that shows that you should make the decision in the morning, not at night.
Go with your gut feel - which job would give you the most bounce in your step?  Take the bounce.

And hearty congratulations regardless!   

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #14: March 02, 2012, 09:17:26 AM »
and now I have two within a month.

So I was working as a temp receptionist at a major government contractor. 2-4 week gig. Then someone tells me the receptionist position is open.

I'm doing a good job, staying on top of things and generally being a good employee so I get recommended for the job. Apparently the office I work at and another office close by share phone lines. So the receptionist over there asks me to send her my resume. I do, think nothing of it.

I get a job at another company that's a consulting firm, asking me to come in for an interview. I come in, interview and it goes well because they offer me the position. Not having anything better (it was 10+ thousand more than the receptionist job), I signed the offer. The position is called Emergency Management Exercise Analyst.

Well today, I got a call from the government contractor, essentially offering me a position. Only not for the reception position that I thought. Its for the Facilities Operations Manager position. I was kind of surprised and then ... well ... now I don't know what to do.

I've had a few threads on job searching and everyone asks me what I want to do. I honestly don't care. However, I did come up with 4 "dream jobs"

1. Be the starting shortstop, catcher or closer for the Washington Nationals. Will never happen.
2. Federal law enforcement. Actually been a desire of mine for a while. But, the federal government isn't really hiring. When they do take applications, its only for a small time window and its usually a lot of more applicants than they thought.
3. Any job that gets me a 7+ figure salary and won't result in me getting a disease or thrown in prison
4. Operations center work. I love them. Did them in the Marine Corps. Then I discovered that in the civilian world you actually get an equal number of days off for the days you work (4 days on, 4 days off). I pulled 12+ hour shifts every day in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So with that in mind, these are the two job break downs

Consulting Firm (Emergency Management Exercise Analyst)
Very much a sit down job. It's a contract for Dept of Homeland Security. Would be a lot of sitting down and and working at a computer. Would get to design exercises for DHS and state governments, primarily their ops centers

+ EM work with DHS could be very career enhancing
+ Got the impression from the interview that they are expecting me to rise quickly and take on a different billet. This has been confirmed in post interview emails and talks ("we have big plans for you")

-/+ Shirt and tie type of place (this doesn't bother me as much as I thought, but I'm betting it could get old)

- Less money (by at least 10k)
- Hour long commute (each way) that would be at least 6 bucks a day to ride Metro. Driving there and parking would take longer and cost more

Defense Contractor (Operations Facilities Manager)
Essentially running day to day type stuff. Making sure maintenance gets done, supplies are ordered and delivered and handling moving of offices and personnel. Would also supervise facility leads and administrative staff. If you're familiar with the Marine Corps, this is essentially they type of position a Company Gunny would be. A lot of mix and match type jobs. A lot of improvising and moving around

+ More money (again, by at least 10k)
+ Company is much larger than the consulting firm. A lot of opportunities to move up. Always a lot of new contracts coming in too
+ Much shorter commute (20 minutes)
+ Great people. Liked working there when I was the receptionist. Fun and laid back
+ Casual dress code. My supervisor there wore blue jeans and a company polo shirt

-/+ Clearance. Not sure if it would be renewed or activated since the position doesn't technically require it

- Would have to bail on a job I've accepted
- Would end up with a lot of odd ball jobs that no one else wanted to do
- Not sure if I would be able to get back in to an operations center type environment

So ... what should I do?

As far as Federal Law Enforcement....keep your eye on the Pentagon Police. They are not hiring right now, but probably will be in the next few months. Good pay and good benefits.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #15: March 02, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »
As far as Federal Law Enforcement....keep your eye on the Pentagon Police. They are not hiring right now, but probably will be in the next few months. Good pay and good benefits.

Plus they get to take dinner at the Chipotle/FrozenYo slice of heaven here in the Danger Zone®.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #16: March 06, 2012, 03:54:29 PM »
Essentially, both of these companies are contractors. One does primarily consulting, the other does a host of things.

Weird, weird day. After giving me a verbal offer the Government Contractor sent me an email telling me the position Operations Facilities Manager) had been filled. I figure, oh well, no big deal.

Second day at my Consulting Job (still getting processed) and the recruiter for the GC job calls me. She wants a little background. Apparently, some of the employees at the GC had asked when I was starting and how I was doing. She wanted to know what the deal was. I told her what was going on. I'm still interested in knowing some more about the job and interviewing.

As I've done some of the background training for the consulting job (Emergency Management Analyst) I can tell that this job would have some very fun moments and could quite easily lead to bigger and better things. Could lead me to getting back in to an operations center and the like.

So thats where I am, if any of you were wondering what happened.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #17: March 06, 2012, 04:05:24 PM »
Essentially, both of these companies are contractors. One does primarily consulting, the other does a host of things.

Weird, weird day. After giving me a verbal offer the Government Contractor sent me an email telling me the position Operations Facilities Manager) had been filled. I figure, oh well, no big deal.

Second day at my Consulting Job (still getting processed) and the recruiter for the GC job calls me. She wants a little background. Apparently, some of the employees at the GC had asked when I was starting and how I was doing. She wanted to know what the deal was. I told her what was going on. I'm still interested in knowing some more about the job and interviewing.

As I've done some of the background training for the consulting job (Emergency Management Analyst) I can tell that this job would have some very fun moments and could quite easily lead to bigger and better things. Could lead me to getting back in to an operations center and the like.

So thats where I am, if any of you were wondering what happened.

Impossible.  The candidates for President have told me that the only people who don't have a job right now are those who enjoy being on food stamps.  It's all your fault.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #18: March 06, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »
Dude ... I could go for some steak