Author Topic: Davey Management Style  (Read 26070 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Davey Management Style
« Reply #225: May 14, 2012, 09:54:22 PM »
But Nady mostly did that years ago.  Any platoon advantage you might have gotten from Nady in recent years is negated by his level of suck.

He homers right as I type that up. :rofl: Brilliant.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #226: May 14, 2012, 09:54:43 PM »
But Nady mostly did that years ago.  Any platoon advantage you might have gotten from Nady in recent years is negated by his level of suck.

:lmao: :lmao:

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #227: May 14, 2012, 10:18:29 PM »
He homers right as I type that up. :rofl: Brilliant.

I was just nagging about another wasted at bat when he hit it out.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #228: May 15, 2012, 12:08:02 AM »
A week or two ago Nady's BABIP was .188. His luck has to right itself eventually.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #229: May 15, 2012, 07:37:20 AM »
A week or two ago Nady's BABIP was .188. His luck has to right itself eventually.

Paging Chief.  Paging Chief.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #230: May 15, 2012, 08:08:28 AM »
HR's don't change your babip. Nothing has changed. :stir:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #231: May 15, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Paging Chief.  Paging Chief.

Meh.  From what I've observed, BABIP is just a convenient go-to and says whatever one wants it to say.

:stir: :stir: :stir:

Offline Sharp

« Reply #232: May 15, 2012, 08:57:44 AM »
Meh.  From what I've observed, BABIP is just a convenient go-to and says whatever one wants it to say.

:stir: :stir: :stir:
Well, if it's misused, sure.  But isn't that true of any statistic?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #233: May 15, 2012, 08:57:46 AM »
I hate BABIP. It must be the most overused and misused of all the "new" stats.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #234: May 15, 2012, 09:17:08 AM »
BABIP hates you, Kev.  I went to BABIP's website and it had a list of posters it thinks just talk trash and lack any understanding of it, and you were #23 on its top 100. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #235: May 15, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »
Good talk.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #236: May 15, 2012, 09:33:05 AM »
:lmao:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #237: May 20, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »
I think Davey deserves some kudos for not panic-switching the lineup every day, but at the same time being willing to tinker with it once it has become sufficiently clear that things need adjusting.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #238: May 20, 2012, 04:25:38 PM »
I think Davey deserves some kudos for not panic-switching the lineup every day, but at the same time being willing to tinker with it once it has become sufficiently clear that things need adjusting.

should have tinkered sooner

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #239: May 20, 2012, 04:29:26 PM »
Love Davey as a manager. Think he is as a manager as any in the majors. Every fan base complains about their coaches riding ith veterans too long, having bad pitcher management, etc, etc, etc. At least with Davey I can tell he is looking long term with each move whereas with Riggleman it felt like he managed every game ike Game 7 instead of thinking down the line.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #240: May 20, 2012, 04:34:48 PM »
should have tinkered sooner

Shrug.  Of course some people are gonna say that, but we're barely halfway through May, I think his approach has shown a decent balance of patience and willingness to adjust.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #241: May 20, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
Shrug.  Of course some people are gonna say that, but we're barely halfway through May, I think his approach has shown a decent balance of patience and willingness to adjust.

I agree.  I love that he's giving Lombo a chance and Espinosa seems to be responding.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #242: May 20, 2012, 05:12:41 PM »
Also, notice that when he gave danny a night off to start the competition, it was against a righty having a very good year, and when he reinserted Danny, it was against a lefty.  As bad as Danny has been this year, his OBP was over .350 this year (Small Sample Size) and was walking around 16% of his PAs v.  RHP.   

Davey is doing a terrific job of spreading the bullpen work, too.  While we want Stammen in every day, get upset when he is in in a blowout Saturday, and complain about using Mattheus in a tied extra inning game, Stammen last worked on back to back days on 4/12 and 13, both extra innings games, to finish, Mattheus has been used in one run or tied games only 3 out of his 9 appearances this month, and Stammen has been used in 1 run games 6 out of 8 appearances this month.  He a good manager for a season, even if we pull our hair out game to game.

BTW - if you've seen me, it is easy to know why I don't get upset at "pull your hair out" managing say in the past 10 years.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #243: May 20, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
Also, notice that when he gave danny a night off to start the competition, it was against a righty having a very good year, and when he reinserted Danny, it was against a lefty.  As bad as Danny has been this year, his OBP was over .350 this year (Small Sample Size) and was walking around 16% of his PAs v.  RHP.   

Davey is doing a terrific job of spreading the bullpen work, too.  While we want Stammen in every day, get upset when he is in in a blowout Saturday, and complain about using Mattheus in a tied extra inning game, Stammen last worked on back to back days on 4/12 and 13, both extra innings games, to finish, Mattheus has been used in one run or tied games only 3 out of his 9 appearances this month, and Stammen has been used in 1 run games 6 out of 8 appearances this month.  He a good manager for a season, even if we pull our hair out game to game.

BTW - if you've seen me, it is easy to know why I don't get upset at "pull your hair out" managing say in the past 10 years.

Solid post but that's expected from you. Davey is managing the season, not day to day. The exact opposite of what a Riggleman or an inexperienced manager would do.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #244: May 20, 2012, 07:50:33 PM »
Love Davey as a manager. Think he is as a manager as any in the majors.

:glug:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #245: May 20, 2012, 07:52:10 PM »
I think Davey needs to learn how to choose his post game presser words a bit more wisely.

After almost every start he's made Strasburg look pretty bad... always blaming something or another. Hot Stuff, bicep tenderness. All the while Strasburg is left confused as to why Davey is making him look like a pansy that can't handle adversity.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #246: May 20, 2012, 08:57:39 PM »
:glug:
As good a manager as any in the majors*

:-[

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #247: May 20, 2012, 09:01:53 PM »
I think Davey needs to learn how to choose his post game presser words a bit more wisely.

After almost every start he's made Strasburg look pretty bad... always blaming something or another. Hot Stuff, bicep tenderness. All the while Strasburg is left confused as to why Davey is making him look like a pansy that can't adversity.

Agree. Davey needs to understand that he's dealing with a very proud and private individual. Hell, even I know that and I've never met the guy. Davey should know better. Very disappointed.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #248: May 22, 2012, 11:43:30 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Boswell
What is managing? B4 game u lose 11th man to DL, switch closers & rest best player w minor sore shoulder to protect him. Then beat Doc easy

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #249: May 22, 2012, 11:54:50 PM »
Houseguest is a scary hardcore Mets fan.  He insists that Davey is the best manager in baseball right now.

Love Davey as a manager. Think he is as a manager as any in the majors. Every fan base complains about their coaches riding ith veterans too long, having bad pitcher management, etc, etc, etc. At least with Davey I can tell he is looking long term with each move whereas with Riggleman it felt like he managed every game ike Game 7 instead of thinking down the line.