Author Topic: Nationals vs Giants, Game 3  (Read 15013 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Nationals vs Giants, Game 3
« Topic Start: June 08, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »
First pitch: 1:35 PM EST

25-38

Guzman - SS
Dukes - RF
Milledge - CF
Boone - 1B
Peña - LF
Casto - 3B
Nieves - C
Harris - 2B
Mock - P

27-35

Lewis - LF
Castillo - 3B
Winn - RF
Rowand - CF
Durham - 2B
Bowker - 1B
Burriss - SS
Holm - C
Zito - P

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Nationals vs Giants, Game 3
« Reply #1: June 08, 2008, 12:31:44 PM »
Is Manny for real? The lineup we are putting out there today is an insult. WMP batting 5th?  :roll:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2: June 08, 2008, 12:37:25 PM »
WTF PENA 5TH

MrMadison

« Reply #3: June 08, 2008, 12:41:33 PM »
well...consider who is behind him.

Harris and Nieves.

neither of which are any more of a 5th hitter than Pena.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #4: June 08, 2008, 12:48:08 PM »
With this lineup, Willie Harris should be batting leadoff just to spread out the suckiness a bit more.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #5: June 08, 2008, 12:49:56 PM »
pena is a lost cause, i don't think moving him up in the order is gonna help him like it did dukes.

anyways, if we can't get the offense going vs 1-9 barry zito, then  :hang:.

MrMadison

« Reply #6: June 08, 2008, 01:04:22 PM »
huh...anyone hear Mackowiak during Nats Xtra?

sounds like some folks aren't on the same page in the FO.

and for once, Debbi Taylor asked a DAMN good question.....

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #7: June 08, 2008, 01:05:51 PM »
One thing to look out for is how Mock fields his position. He's known for being pretty bad at it.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #8: June 08, 2008, 01:08:27 PM »
huh...anyone hear Mackowiak during Nats Xtra?

sounds like some folks aren't on the same page in the FO.

and for once, Debbi Taylor asked a DAMN good question.....

What'd she ask? I'm watching my home country, Croatia, play in the Euro Cup until the first pitch.

MrMadison

« Reply #9: June 08, 2008, 01:09:42 PM »
What'd she ask? I'm watching my home country, Croatia, play in the Euro Cup until the first pitch.

Mackowiak said basically that he didn't perform like he should have, and he shouldn't expect to be kept around while batting .132.  but more interestingly, he mentioned something about being promised more at-bats.  Debbi asked him who promised him more playing time, Bowden or Manny(a surprisingly good question coming from Debbi).  and Mackowiak insinuated that it was Bowden, though he didn't say Bowden by name. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #10: June 08, 2008, 01:10:20 PM »
You were born in Croatia? Do you speak Croatian?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #11: June 08, 2008, 01:11:25 PM »
Mackowiak said basically that he didn't perform like he should have, and he shouldn't expect to be kept around while batting .132.  but more interestingly, he mentioned something about being promised more at-bats.  Debbi asked him who promised him more playing time, Bowden or Manny(a surprisingly good question coming from Debbi).  and Mackowiak insinuated that it was Bowden, though he didn't say Bowden by name. 

Well, he should know better than to expect more ABs just b/c the GM said he should. It'd be different if Manny had said it.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #12: June 08, 2008, 01:11:35 PM »
It sort of goes hand in hand though. If Mackowiak had shown any ability to hit at all he would have gotten more playing time and ABs. He just didn't get it done.

I have a feeling today is a make or break game for Willie Harris. It appears they are giving him one last chance to prove himself before letting him go.

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #13: June 08, 2008, 01:12:17 PM »
WTF is Pena playing for?  And batting 5th?  Stupid. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #14: June 08, 2008, 01:13:39 PM »
You were born in Croatia? Do you speak Croatian?

Yeah, I was born there. My family moved here pretty much right after I was born, though. I understand the language a lot better than I speak it. :lol:

MrMadison

« Reply #15: June 08, 2008, 01:14:31 PM »
It sort of goes hand in hand though. If Mackowiak had shown any ability to hit at all he would have gotten more playing time and ABs. He just didn't get it done.

yeah, but what this goes to show is that possibly, Bowden is promising these guys unconditional playing time, but Manny is overruling, as his his right as the Manager. 

I have a feeling today is a make or break game for Willie Harris. It appears they are giving him one last chance to prove himself before letting him go.

I just think that Lopez is being punished for his lack of hustle yesterday.

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #16: June 08, 2008, 01:18:32 PM »
Yeah, I was born there. My family moved here pretty much right after I was born, though. I understand the language a lot better than I speak it. :lol:

i'm part croatian. 25% or something like that.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #17: June 08, 2008, 01:21:32 PM »
Something I didn't realize about yesterday's game:

Sorry, I just don't get it.

For the second consecutive night--Our Manager Manny Acta allowed one of Our Pitchers to remain on the mound in trouble--with not a single person warming up in the bullpen.

Manny--My Friend--you know I love ya. But, Friday night you left Jason Bergmann in the game FAR TOO LONG. Our Number 57 HAD NOTHING GOING FOR HIM. Sorry, but it is true. And despite your "Hombre A Hombre" discussion (to put it mildly) with Jason--all was lost a few minutes later when Bergmann was taken deep by The San Francisco Giants Jose Castillo. Reminder--at no time was ONE SINGLE RELIEVER up and warming in Our Bullpen--until Our Washington Nationals were down and out 8-0.

http://nats320.blogspot.com/2008/06/understanding.html

Could this have something to do w/ Ayala sucking it up? I think it might.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #18: June 08, 2008, 01:21:55 PM »
i'm part croatian. 25% or something like that.

Really? Where in Croatia?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #19: June 08, 2008, 01:23:05 PM »
BTW, that wasn't Debbi Taylor's question. She asked Mackowiak what was next for him.

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #20: June 08, 2008, 01:25:12 PM »
Really? Where in Croatia?

i don't know the details. just know my dad is 50% croatian.  it's pretty cool and unique being croatian, i should learn more about it.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #21: June 08, 2008, 01:27:47 PM »
BP's preview of this game:

Matchup: Giants (27-35) at Nationals (25-38), 1:35 p.m. ET

Probable Starters: Barry Zito (61 1/3 IP, 6.90 RA, 1.84 WHIP, 33 K) vs. Garrett Mock (61 2/3, 3.50, 1.22, 51 in Triple-A)

Pythagorean Record: San Francisco, 28-34 (253 RS, 284 RA); Washington, 23-40 (230 RS, 308 RA)

Hit List Rankings: San Francisco, #25; Washington, #30

Prospectus: Another rookie making his big league debut, Mock was acquired by the Nationals from Arizona in the deal that netted the D'backs Livan Hernandez. He was not one of Kevin Goldstein's Top 11 Nats prospects thanks to a performance at Double-A that dropped his stock considerably. He was however considered by Goldstein to be the sleeper in the system thanks to a solid showing the Arizona Fall League. After making the move to Triple-A, Mock has improved considerably; last year, Mock struck out 7.2 hitters per nine, and this season he's bumped that up to 7.4 despite a level jump, but more importantly he's cut his walks considerably from 4.9 BB/9 to a nifty 1.9. That, when combined with his pace for 16 homers allowed over 200 innings, has resulted in a 3.06 ERA and a trip to the majors.

The Nationals are in dire need of a young pitcher who can step up and fill the role as staff ace. Matt Chico led the club in innings last season, but he's a back of the rotation guy. John Lannan has made strides this year, but he's not an overpowering pitcher, instead earning his outs by inducing grounders and relying on his defense to limit the opposition. The combination of Mock and Lannan at the top of the rotation would provide some promise for a Nats team that's in rebuilding mode, and certainly would be more appealing as a building block than the Odalis Perez/Tim Redding combo currently atop the depth chart.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #22: June 08, 2008, 01:30:59 PM »
Matchup: Giants (27-35) at Nationals (25-38), 1:35 p.m. ET

Probable Starters: Barry Zito (61 1/3 IP, 6.90 RA, 1.84 WHIP, 33 K) vs. Garrett Mock (61 2/3, 3.50, 1.22, 51 in Triple-A)

Pythagorean Record: San Francisco, 28-34 (253 RS, 284 RA); Washington, 23-40 (230 RS, 308 RA)

Hit List Rankings: San Francisco, #25; Washington, #30

Prospectus: Another rookie making his big league debut, Mock was acquired by the Nationals from Arizona in the deal that netted the D'backs Livan Hernandez. He was not one of Kevin Goldstein's Top 11 Nats prospects thanks to a performance at Double-A that dropped his stock considerably. He was however considered by Goldstein to be the sleeper in the system thanks to a solid showing the Arizona Fall League. After making the move to Triple-A, Mock has improved considerably; last year, Mock struck out 7.2 hitters per nine, and this season he's bumped that up to 7.4 despite a level jump, but more importantly he's cut his walks considerably from 4.9 BB/9 to a nifty 1.9. That, when combined with his pace for 16 homers allowed over 200 innings, has resulted in a 3.06 ERA and a trip to the majors.

The Nationals are in dire need of a young pitcher who can step up and fill the role as staff ace. Matt Chico led the club in innings last season, but he's a back of the rotation guy. John Lannan has made strides this year, but he's not an overpowering pitcher, instead earning his outs by inducing grounders and relying on his defense to limit the opposition. The combination of Mock and Lannan at the top of the rotation would provide some promise for a Nats team that's in rebuilding mode, and certainly would be more appealing as a building block than the Odalis Perez/Tim Redding combo currently atop the depth chart.

QFT  :clap:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #23: June 08, 2008, 01:32:29 PM »
Yeah but I don't want to think that Lannan and Mock will be the anchors of our rotation. I'd like to believe Lannan and Mock could be our 3 and 4 pitchers.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #24: June 08, 2008, 01:35:53 PM »
i bet zito pitches 7 innings, 5 hits, 0 ER, 7 Ks