Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 79768 times)

Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #175: December 12, 2009, 03:10:02 PM »
Jack Daniels is my whiskey of choice. Absolutely love it.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #176: December 12, 2009, 03:11:24 PM »
Jack Daniels is my whiskey of choice. Absolutely love it.

I really don't like Jack. I did a shot of it last night, it just kills me.

« Reply #177: December 12, 2009, 04:29:15 PM »
I really don't like Jack. I did a shot of it last night, it just kills me.

I really think it has a unique taste that sets it aside from the rest. I am not saying it is the best or worst whiskey in the world, but it is my personal favorite. Black label, green label, Gentleman Jack and Single-Barrel-- ugh, just pump it into my veins.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #178: December 12, 2009, 05:58:52 PM »
I really think it has a unique taste that sets it aside from the rest. I am not saying it is the best or worst whiskey in the world, but it is my personal favorite. Black label, green label, Gentleman Jack and Single-Barrel-- ugh, just pump it into my veins.

it does mix well with coke. almost tastes fruity or coconutty or something. or maybe vanilla. i dont know. but it doesnt taste like alcohol

« Reply #179: December 12, 2009, 09:19:56 PM »
it does mix well with coke. almost tastes fruity or coconutty or something. or maybe vanilla. i dont know. but it doesnt taste like alcohol

It's awesome in Whiskey Sours.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #180: December 13, 2009, 09:40:27 PM »

That's actually why I don't like it.  It's too sweet.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #181: December 13, 2009, 09:44:22 PM »
That's actually why I don't like it.  It's too sweet.

Try some Islay Scotch. Smoky goodness.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #182: December 13, 2009, 09:46:25 PM »
Try some Islay Scotch. Smoky goodness.

I'm big into bitters and sour mash.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #183: December 13, 2009, 09:54:19 PM »

Different strokes. I like to drink my whiskey neat.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #184: December 14, 2009, 07:49:29 AM »

A little dash of bitters is a nice variation once in a while.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #185: December 14, 2009, 07:57:26 AM »
You know, bitters didnt used to be a "once in a while" thing. It was practically required in any GOOD drink at one time.

how they fell out of favor is beyond me. There used to be tons of different types, now you would be hardpressed to find a liquor store that even knows what they are.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #186: December 14, 2009, 08:02:53 AM »
You know, bitters didnt used to be a "once in a while" thing. It was practically required in any GOOD drink at one time.

how they fell out of favor is beyond me. There used to be tons of different types, now you would be hardpressed to find a liquor store that even knows what they are.

I wonder how long a bottle of bitters lasts?  I bought one years ago for my father-in-law's manhattan's some years back, and just keep on using it for myself.  I'll forget I have the bottle for months on end, but definitely like the extra dimension of flavor.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #187: December 14, 2009, 08:26:57 AM »
Its said among cocktail purists (at least so i have read) that a dash of bitters changes a cocktail entirely, and without them its just not the same drink.

i dont know this from personal experience though.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #188: December 14, 2009, 12:55:53 PM »
I like those strange random bottles of booze people bring from overseas airport duty free stores...I haven't quite figured out what to do with the Czech becherovka to make it taste like anything other than cough syrup, but the Thai snakepiss "rum" actually wound up being OK with pineapple juice.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #189: December 18, 2009, 07:19:44 PM »
I'm told I was rather obstreperous under some Peppermint Schnapps at a friend's bachelor party. I can't even remember going.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #190: December 18, 2009, 11:06:09 PM »
I have a hankering for genever. But since Amsterdam and/or Brussels is pretty far away right now, I'll settle for a scotch neat.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #191: December 25, 2009, 08:40:57 PM »
So, Santa was pretty good to me.  I'm currently sipping a glass of this Irish whiskey:

But I have this little baby just waiting for some loving attention, straight from Kentucky:

I even got some little ice cube like things you freeze and put in your whiskey to chill it a bit, but without the melting / dilution of the cubes.    

All in all, a fine start to a Christmas break:    :clap: :woop:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #192: December 25, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »

But I have this little baby just waiting for some loving attention, straight from Kentucky:

(Image removed from quote.)

Let me know how it is.  Looks like something I'd be interested in.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #193: December 25, 2009, 08:45:30 PM »
Let me know how it is.  Looks like something I'd be interested in.

Will do.  It's a completely new one for me.  My brother researched and found a lot of consensus that this was among the top American whiskey brands, so looking forward to my own field testing.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #194: December 25, 2009, 09:06:07 PM »
Will do.  It's a completely new one for me.  My brother researched and found a lot of consensus that this was among the top American whiskey brands, so looking forward to my own field testing.

I've never heard of it but it looks great.  Of course, I may be biased since Kentucky-style Bourbon is my favorite.  :P  :glug:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #195: December 25, 2009, 10:24:25 PM »
for Christmas, my Uncle got a bottle of Mount Gay XO Rum, which from what I was told, comes from Barbados and is not sold in the United States.

He hasn't opened it yet though, so I didn't get to try it. I've been chugging shots of Grand Marnier all day. not consecutively though, i took a shot like every 3 hours or so because i don't like getting drunk drunk in front of my daughter.

also had a glass of some really good white wine called Terrapin White. It's from a local winery in Mt. Airy(spelling?) called Linganore.

Also tried some nasty ass Argentinian red wine called Malbec. ugh.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #196: December 26, 2009, 12:04:28 AM »
Will do.  It's a completely new one for me.  My brother researched and found a lot of consensus that this was among the top American whiskey brands, so looking forward to my own field testing.

sampled a bunch of stuff at a party last night.  had a little of that. it was good, but i'm not a connossieur (sp?). pretty sweet. it came highly recommended

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #197: December 26, 2009, 12:36:32 AM »

Also tried some nasty ass Argentinian red wine called Malbec. ugh.

Careful with that kind of talk :nono:

Malbec is really, really good.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #198: December 26, 2009, 12:37:56 AM »
What I really want is a bottle of the good stuff from Johnny Walker, but I have a feeling a six months pregnant wife has the prerogative to chuck said bottle at the head of the husband who buys it.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #199: December 26, 2009, 12:39:20 AM »
Okay...my grandfather had a moonshine still until he was 83 (he lived in Manassas Park the last 5 years of that).  Let's just say I had tried it by age 12.  Love the stuff.

Favorite drink...Three Wisemen (Jack/Jim/Johnny) neat.

Currently working on bottle of Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon blend.  Excellent dark red and I got it free from the caterer at our last private event.