Author Topic: OOTP: Out of the Park Baseball  (Read 3854 times)

Offline houston-nat

OOTP: Out of the Park Baseball
« Topic Start: August 19, 2010, 07:50:18 PM »
I'm having some fun running the Milwaukee Brewers in OOTP 11. It is now July 2012, and my team is sitting far ahead of the pack in the NL Central.

Briefly what has happened so far: in 2010, I launched a full rebuild, trading away Jim Edmonds, Trevor Hoffman, Claudio Vargas, Carlos Villanueva, Lorenzo Cain, Randy Wolf, Casey McGehee and free agent signee Vicente Padilla in exchange for a ton of prospects. I traded Rickie Weeks for Colby Rasmus. One of the prospects, Astro Bud Norris, I flipped for Twins' Aaron Hicks.

So 2010 sucked.

In 2011 the Detroit Tigers sent me Max Scherzer and Rick Porcello for Will Venable, and I flipped Scherzer to Washington for Derek Norris. Even freakier, I was able to trade Kyle Drabek (!) to the Royals for Zach Greinke (!!). We lost the NLCS to the Braves, who had dealt a prospect I had sent them for Jonathan Sanchez, who turned into an ace. Whoops!

2012 roster looks like this as of July 7.

CF Colby Rasmus .316/.408/.502
3B Mat Gamel .273/.375/.531
LF Ryan Braun .351/.439/.681 (1.12 OPS)
1B Prince Fielder .296/.435/.615 (1.049 OPS)
RF Nate Schierholtz .321/.383/.596 (.979 OPS)
2B Joe Inglett
C Jason Castro
Pitcher
SS Alcides Escobar (who is having an awful, awful season)

Bench: Carlos Gomez, Jeff Francoeur, Randy Winn, Nick Punto, Koyie Hill

SP Zach Greinke
SP Yovani Gallardo
SP Cliff Lee
SP Rick Porcello (1.83 ERA)
SP Ryan Dempster (7.08 ERA since becoming a Brewer...ouch)

My big worry is my bullpen... Capps is a shaky closer, my prospects aren't panning out, Kyle Farnsworth is mediocre but they're still hanging on.

My farm system is loaded at the top but pretty barren near the bottom. Top prospects include Deck McGuire, Luke Hochevar, Jose Mijares, Sergio Burruel, Derek Norris, Brett Lawrie, Nolan Arenado, Aaron Hicks,

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: OOTP: Out of the Park Baseball
« Reply #1: August 19, 2010, 07:58:35 PM »
What do you do exactly?  Just fill out lineup cards?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2: August 19, 2010, 08:04:34 PM »
What do you do exactly?  Just fill out lineup cards?

Sorry I didn't explain!

In OOTP 11, you are not a manager; you are a GM. Basically, you are Rizzo. So you manage the farm system, promote and demote people, execute trades, draft and sign players, and negotiate with free agents. You also, should you choose, manage the team too. I manage every single game in addition to doing the GM work. For instance, as you can see I lost the most recent game in the 11th inning when Reggie Abercrombie (barf) hit a 3-run walk-off dinger, but during the game my reliever Luis Perdomo got injured, so afterwards I put him on the DL and called up a guy from AAA.

You also have to deal with the owner, who sets your budget each year and has certain expectations (my owner expects me to "Win It All!"), and with fans, who can get more interested or rebel. And you can be fired.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #3: August 19, 2010, 08:27:35 PM »
I've loved OOTP 9 and 10 but didn't get 11 because I finally realized that I really want to be able to see my new additions and play with them. I do love the game, though, it's so realistive and awesome.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #4: August 19, 2010, 08:46:41 PM »
When does the next free OOTP come out? (OOTP 9 I believe)

I played 8, but it crashed a lot and after the first season, it screwed up  so the schedule was empty.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #5: August 25, 2010, 02:10:45 AM »
Baseball Mogul is a solid game as well. I like to either play with the Expos or Pirates starting in early 21st century

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #6: August 27, 2010, 09:12:19 AM »
I got an email that OOTP is on sale this weekend. $19.99.

Weekend special, 50% off - save $20!
It's the stretch run in the big leagues, and we're celebrating the pennant races by offering a special promotion! From now through the end of the weekend (August 29th), you can buy OOTP 11 at 50% off the regular price, or just $19.99 instead of $39.99! This is the lowest price we've ever offered for our current version of the game, and it only lasts through this weekend.

You can buy OOTP from our web stores and then download, or you can download first and purchase from directly inside the game. Either way, you'll be playing the best baseball simulation game on the market in less time than it would take you to go to your local game store!

The link in the email is here in case you need it for the deal.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #7: January 26, 2011, 09:48:53 AM »
Fixed.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #8: January 26, 2011, 09:52:51 AM »
Nationals get some respect from OOTP.

2011 Major League Rosters

Here's a treat: the best roster set we've ever produced, from the big leagues' top stars to the guys making their debuts in rookie leagues. All players are individually rated with updated statistics and realistic contract data. Last year's top draft picks are included too. Could Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg, with the veteran leadership of newly-acquired All-Star Jayson Werth, help propel the Washington Nationals to the top of the National League East in coming seasons?

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/newsletters/nl0071/

Does anyone else wonder who tampered with the owner settings in OOTP 11 to set the Mark Lerner as understanding and penny pinching? I wonder if they will rate him the same in OOTP 12.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #9: January 26, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »
When does the next free OOTP come out? (OOTP 9 I believe)

I played 8, but it crashed a lot and after the first season, it screwed up  so the schedule was empty.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #10: January 26, 2011, 05:31:40 PM »
8 has been the free version for a couple years. Nothings says they will change it to 9 anytime soon.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #11: January 26, 2011, 05:37:11 PM »
I am having a blast turning the Nats around in OOTP 11. Completely addicted.

OOTP 12 was just announced, btw, and they are taking pre-orders for $29.99.

BTW, Obed, thanks for the link to the online manual that answered one of my questions in the other thread.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #12: January 26, 2011, 06:56:02 PM »
damn. maybe i'll have to redownload it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #13: March 14, 2011, 04:01:05 PM »
Just noticed this in the apple apps store, we're up to about $50 in games i never would have spent otherwise, oh well

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #14: March 14, 2011, 04:04:04 PM »
I will be glad when it comes out. I'm getting tired of playing ABA and i have have reubuilding last years Nats and Cubs down pat even with hardest trade options.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: March 17, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »
so I'm playing OOTP 2011, I'm in 2016 and tweaking my 40 man for the rule 5 draft, only it's now a 38 man (my active roster is also only a 24 man), does anyone know why my rosters are shrinking?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #16: March 17, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »
There are options that let the league "evolve". I usually shut them off because the rule changes are far too frequent. Despite the manual saying it is fictional only, I think it more or less effects any league.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/documentation/ootp11/index.php?page=options#dynamically_evolving_leagues

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: March 17, 2011, 12:14:20 PM »
thanks, I just fixed it, This game is damn addictive, Strassburg has become a beast, hold the single game K record at 20

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #18: March 17, 2011, 12:27:39 PM »
Most of the time Strasburg is awesome in OOTP. I had one sequence though where he never made it past a #2 starter, granted my pitching was pretty stacked, he kept at #2 for about a month and half and than his control dropped all the way down to 1 after a 2 week DL stint. I traded him immediately after before he got scouted but he struggled to keep his ERA below 4 after that injury.

Zimmermann can be a badass sometimes too.  

It doesn't happen often but sometimes Ballestar turns into a dominant front line starter although he is always stuck behind Stasburg.

I cannot wait for the new version, I'm playing fictional because the teams I like to play have gotten too predictable.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #19: March 17, 2011, 01:03:01 PM »
Zimmermann was really good, I had to flip him when he became too expensive (I have Nolasco and Porcello, so it wasn't a huge loss), Harper, on the other hand, regressed to being a backup catcher (mostly injuries), right after the 90 million extension

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #20: March 17, 2011, 01:08:09 PM »
Yeah the real life Harper is more impressive than his OOTP counterpart. It doesn't happen often but sometimes Jhonathan Solano turns out to be a top player.

The one to watch closely is Zimmerman. He regresses fairly quickly after signing his next extension. I always hate trading him before people figure it out. It just feels wrong to trade him.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #21: March 17, 2011, 03:10:58 PM »
Yeah the real life Harper is more impressive than his OOTP counterpart. It doesn't happen often but sometimes Jhonathan Solano turns out to be a top player.

The one to watch closely is Zimmerman. He regresses fairly quickly after signing his next extension. I always hate trading him before people figure it out. It just feels wrong to trade him.

I used the rosters off the OOTP forums with all the accurate face-gens and logos... Harper is amazing in my league (once he made the majors). He's hitting .340ish with power in his first full season. He did the same in his September call-up. Does he typically regress?

Trying to figure out what to do when the new OOTP comes out. I think I might build up an AL team. I don't really like controlling the Nats. I have trouble dealing players that I like IRL and get frustrated when my fictional players don't mirror their real-life counterparts.

So I'm trying to decide between an AL team and a fictional league.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #22: March 17, 2011, 03:14:27 PM »
i might buy it on principle alone since they have Mac and Linux versions.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: March 17, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »
Harper was all-star level with my team from call up through first year of arb, then I extends him and he crashed, I ended up trading him for essentially nothing

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #24: March 17, 2011, 04:05:55 PM »
Does he [Harper] typically regress?

There is nothing built into the game that would cause him to regress aside from the randomness built into the game. That sounds about like he has hit his peak potential and has the "hot" player bonus going. Keeping him, and the team, happy does play a role in performance. Given his age and barring injury, he should perform at slightly below that level for a long time. Occasionally a player has one standout year and regresses never to return but that it usually pretty obvious and with Harper's contract structure that shouldn't be a problem for you. I believe Zimmerman is an aged based regression but I have not looked at the underlying stats enough to know why he is effected more by it than other players.

I watch very closely via the Player Development Report when a player suffers an injury, even DTD, as this is the most common time when they regress. Also to get rid of fat contracts, it can be useful to try to deal players while they are on a hot streak. Granted shop too many and whole team starts to get pissed off.

I enjoy playing teams that I tear down and build back up which is why I have mostly played the Nationals and the Cubs. I suppose I could try rebuilding the O's for a change but I really don't like the American League.

I am starting to see some of the patterns in the fictional leagues. Honestly the inaugural draft and than minimal free agents is annoying to me although I am just starting to get the hang of it. It is because of this that I started noticing some of the relationships between fan interest, hot/cold players, contract extensions, and how the team performs relative the league.