Author Topic: Jeter the Cheater?  (Read 1706 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Jeter the Cheater?
« Topic Start: September 16, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »
Derek Jeter got caught faking getting hit last night (actually he got caught after the game, during the game they let him take 1st and threw Rays manager Joe Maddon out of the game for arguing about it).

Video:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100915&content_id=14723336&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

If this were say, Nyjer Morgan, how many games would he get suspended?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Jeter the Cheater?
« Reply #1: September 16, 2010, 05:55:48 PM »
Yeah, I asked about it in the MLB watching thread.  It's one thing to take first on the call by the ump, even if it was the wrong call, but the theatrics was uncalled for IMO.

Offline imref

« Reply #2: September 16, 2010, 06:08:10 PM »
i agree - i think the world of Jeter, but this kind of garbage is bad for baseball and sends the wrong message to kids.  He deserves a game or two suspension.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3: September 16, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »
A.J. Pierzynski once faked getting hit on the foot this year to break up a perfect game... if that didn't get him in hot water, I doubt anything Jeter does will land him in trouble, either.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4: September 16, 2010, 06:27:30 PM »

If this were say, Nyjer Morgan, how many games would he get suspended?

If A-Rod had done this it would be called bush league.

Offline PC

« Reply #5: September 16, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »
I was thinking that the rule should be a player who does this should be suspended a game for every base he takes, in this case 4 games because he scored on the home run.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #6: September 16, 2010, 07:42:33 PM »
i agree - i think the world of Jeter, but this kind of garbage is bad for baseball and sends the wrong message to kids.  He deserves a game or two suspension.
SAVE THE CHILDREN!

:panic:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #7: September 16, 2010, 07:49:21 PM »
How does this compare to slightly leaning in to get hit?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #8: September 16, 2010, 07:50:09 PM »
How does this compare to slightly leaning in to get hit?

It's more like being a punk and rolling around on the ground when you aren't hurt in soccer to run the clock down.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #9: September 16, 2010, 08:20:02 PM »
It's more like being a punk and rolling around on the ground when you aren't hurt in soccer to run the clock down.

Or when Sidney takes a dive for the Pens! 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: September 16, 2010, 08:24:55 PM »
Jeter is always held up as some paragon of virtue, a "true Yankee", the consummate professional, a class act.

We can burst a couple of those bubbles.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #11: September 16, 2010, 08:27:13 PM »
He's a baseball player.  It's what baseball players do.  If you're worried about the message it's going to send to the kids, I suggest you don't own a TV, let them watch movies or play video games. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: September 16, 2010, 08:34:38 PM »
He's a baseball player.  It's what baseball players do.  If you're worried about the message it's going to send to the kids, I suggest you don't own a TV, let them watch movies or play video games. 

Then let's not pretend he's something above the rest.

As pointed out previously, had A-Rod done this, totally different level of media coverage.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #13: September 16, 2010, 08:39:46 PM »
Then let's not pretend he's something above the rest.

As pointed out previously, had A-Rod done this, totally different level of media coverage.
Not trying to make him out to be, I just don't really think it's that big of a deal regardless of who did it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: September 16, 2010, 08:43:05 PM »
Not trying to make him out to be, I just don't really think it's that big of a deal regardless of who did it.

All that big act about how sore he was?  I call BS on that one.

All these unwritten rules about how you shouldn't steal or run your normal offense if you're up or down x number of runs, how you shouldn't say the magic words if someone is pitching a no hitter, all this other cosmic bullcrap, and yet it's okay to essentially lie and cheat to get a small advantage? 

I don't think he should be suspended, but I do think he should be held up for ridicule by honest folks.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #15: September 16, 2010, 08:48:45 PM »
I didn't expect him or anyone to say "hey ump, I didn't actually get hit."  I just don't expect the theatrics.

Offline imref

« Reply #16: September 16, 2010, 09:11:06 PM »

All these unwritten rules about how you shouldn't steal or run your normal offense if you're up or down x number of runs, how you shouldn't say the magic words if someone is pitching a no hitter, all this other cosmic bullcrap, and yet it's okay to essentially lie and cheat to get a small advantage? 

I don't think he should be suspended, but I do think he should be held up for ridicule by honest folks.

do Tampa and NY play again?  He's getting plunked if they do.

Offline PC

« Reply #17: September 16, 2010, 09:14:43 PM »

They have on more 4-game series left.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: September 16, 2010, 09:17:59 PM »
I think he should take a ball to the head (ok, thigh) and the ump should look at him and call strike

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #19: September 16, 2010, 09:24:28 PM »

He called BS on himself after the game.  All sports is about gaining an advantage.  This is not an Allstate commercial.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #20: September 16, 2010, 09:25:53 PM »
It's bush league, he played on his name and reputation to get a call. He better hope the yankees don't draw the same ump he made a fool of in the playoffs

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #21: September 16, 2010, 09:27:01 PM »
I don't see how this is any different than a catcher taking a ball and then moving it back in the strikezone to "frame" it.  In both instances the players are trying to deceive and persuade the ump towards a certain call completely within the rules.  Sure Jeter might have been a d-bag about it, but the onus is on the ump to get the call right and 95%+ of the time the ump would know he was lying.  I'm in agreement with DPM on this one.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #22: September 16, 2010, 09:28:31 PM »
The more of a spectacle you make, the worse you make the ump look when it gets replayed on Sports Center every 15 minutes, I doubt he gets that call ever again (even if he does actually get hit).

Offline imref

« Reply #23: September 16, 2010, 09:32:16 PM »
I think he should take a ball to the head (ok, thigh) and the ump should look at him and call strike

this!

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #24: September 16, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
I doubt it.  Joe Maddon said after the game he wouldn't have a problem with his own player doing the same thing if they could get away with it.  I think it's a bigger deal to us than it is to either of the teams involved.