Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 51357 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #450: December 06, 2012, 07:53:06 PM »
You know what, freak LaRoche.  I don't want him.  I want the Beast.  LaRoche can't do this to a fanbase.

http://deadspin.com/5951449/nationals-buoyed-by-fans-magical-a+ha-singalongs-to-take-on-me++and-tonights-was-the-best-yet

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #451: December 06, 2012, 08:30:49 PM »

Offline Bloo

« Reply #452: December 07, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
I think you need to consult Charlie Sheen on this matter. His answer would be: Keep em' both Winning!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #453: December 07, 2012, 09:31:08 AM »
:clap:

What agreat moment.  The game should have been called after that hit.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #454: December 07, 2012, 10:59:07 AM »
http://www.natsinsider.com/2012/12/what-would-morse-bring-back-in-trade.html

I'm still in the bring-back-Morse camp, but here is an article from Zuckerman on what Morse might bring back in a trade.  Mentions O's, M's, and Rays as potential partners.  I'd hate to send Morse to the O's, but they do seem like a logical fit. 

I think the Rangers could be a solid partner as well.  They have a ton of prospects and Morse would definitely be an upgrade to Mitch Moreland at 1B.  If they sign Greinke and bring back Hamilton (or trade for Upton), then upgrade from Moreland to Morse might be worth them parting with a good prospect. 

Also saw on Hardball talk that the White Sox might move an outfielder or two.  If they do, Morse could fit there.  Morse, Dunn, Konerko would be a pretty fearsome trio.  http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/07/white-sox-shopping-dayan-viciedo-and-alejandro-de-aza/

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #455: December 07, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »
What agreat moment.  The game should have been called after that hit.
Yea!

:(

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #456: December 07, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »
It stinks to want Morse gone, because he's such a great personality.  But it's about winning.  I think re-signing LaRoche seals the deal in making the Nats a pre-season favorite, while keeping Morse would be a compromise in an offseason that shouldn't be about compromises. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #457: December 07, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
It stinks to want Morse gone, because he's such a great personality.  But it's about winning.  I think re-signing LaRoche seals the deal in making the Nats a pre-season favorite, while keeping Morse would be a compromise in an offseason that shouldn't be about compromises. 

Rafael Palmeiro is a guy who I think was similar to LaRoche - good fielder and a very relaxed looking left handed swing.  He was durable and was good into his late 30's.  But who knows how much the PEDs helped him do that.

Most of the guys listed as the closet comps for LaRoche by Baseball-Reference were done as productive, full-time starters by 32/33 years old.  Which is exactly how old LaRoche is.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/larocad01.shtml

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #458: December 07, 2012, 12:14:52 PM »
Rafael Palmeiro is a guy who I think was similar to LaRoche - good fielder and a very relaxed looking left handed swing.  He was durable and was good into his late 30's.  But who knows how much the PEDs helped him do that.

Most of the guys listed as the closet comps for LaRoche by Baseball-Reference were done as productive, full-time starters by 32/33 years old.  Which is exactly how old LaRoche is.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/larocad01.shtml

Had to smile at Stuart and J. T. Snow on the list.   Stuart because he was one of my favorites as a kid.    J. T. Snow because of FP.    Had to frown at Adcock.    He hit that HR against Haddix in '59.

Offline raleighnat

« Reply #459: December 07, 2012, 01:37:28 PM »
You know what, freak LaRoche.  I don't want him.  I want the Beast.  LaRoche can't do this to a fanbase.

http://deadspin.com/5951449/nationals-buoyed-by-fans-magical-a+ha-singalongs-to-take-on-me++and-tonights-was-the-best-yet

You just sold me...sublime moment...to hell with sabermetrics, keep the Beast!

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #461: December 07, 2012, 02:22:20 PM »
He just did.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2012/11/19/michael-morses-wedding-photos/

SHAZAM!!

I love Morse, I really do. I would love to be able to keep both to be honest, but if I can only have, one, it's gonna be Morse. LaRoche did a great job for us on the bag and at the dish and seemed to be a great clubhouse guy. There's just something about Morse that makes me want to have him when we win the pennant and hoist our first WS trophy. I'll still love the Nats either way, but I just don't know if it would be the same sans the Beast. If he leaves us, he'll easily be my favorite non-Nat and all-time second only to Will "the Thrill" Clark.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #462: December 07, 2012, 04:01:14 PM »
MIKE RIZZO IF YOU ARE READING THIS THEN LET IT BE KNOWN THAT I WANT MORSE!  please.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #463: December 07, 2012, 04:01:53 PM »
MIKE RIZZO IF YOU ARE READING THIS THEN LET IT BE KNOWN THAT I WANT MORSE!  please.
Now you'll get UPS at the door and the guy will say "please sign" and you'll open the box and Mike Morse will pop out.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #464: December 07, 2012, 04:04:03 PM »
Now you'll get UPS at the door and the guy will say "please sign" and you'll open the box and Mike Morse will pop out.

Who needs mail order brides when you can have a mail order mike morse.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #465: December 07, 2012, 06:32:49 PM »

I didn't want ALR back anyway, under any conditions, but now I am so over this game of chicken. 

If we lose out on a good deal for Morse because he pulled our finger, I'll really be pissed. 

I say sign Morse to an extension and let ALR cut bait.

Worst that happens is we get a prospect back when ALR signs a 1 year deal somewhere else for less, and we save $20MM. 

Not a bad deal from where I sit...

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
« Reply #466: December 07, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »

how. did. we. lose. that. freaking. game.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #467: December 07, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »
how. did. we. lose. that. freaking. game.

Edwin.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #468: December 07, 2012, 06:39:51 PM »
Worst that happens is we get a prospect back when ALR signs a 1 year deal somewhere else for less, and we save $20MM. 

Not a bad deal from where I sit...

I agree.  The comp pick for Laroche would be roughly around #40 overall, which is very valuable with the new draft rules that limit comp picks.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #469: December 07, 2012, 06:58:10 PM »
You kiddies are quickly forgetting what LaRoche means to this team. Thank God, Davey still remembers.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #470: December 07, 2012, 06:58:42 PM »
"...We fielded a lot of calls, and you can see the reason why. He (Michael Morse) is a middle-of-the-lineup hitter who put up some big numbers. He hits for average and some power." -- general manager Mike Rizzo

Well doh...then why the hell would you get rid of him...

..but we want DeRosa back?

WTF?

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #471: December 07, 2012, 07:21:45 PM »
Where did you see that Rizzo wants DeRosa back? That'd be disheartening.

If it's Davey, I'm sure Rizzo will take that toy away from him.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #472: December 07, 2012, 07:24:03 PM »
Where did you see that Rizzo wants DeRosa back? That'd be disheartening.

If it's Davey, I'm sure Rizzo will take that toy away from him.

I believe it was more that they were open to the idea but have not had any contact with him.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #473: December 07, 2012, 07:39:34 PM »
http://www.masnsports.com/nationals_pastime/2012/12/davey-talks-laroche-starting-catching-job-high-expectations-and-more.html

Here's an article from a few days ago on Davey wanting Derosa back.  Scroll down to the bottom of the article.

Bring back Morse, take the draft pick for LaRoche. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #474: December 07, 2012, 07:44:49 PM »
  Bring back Morse, take the draft pick for LaRoche.   

Amen, brother...preach it...

...that is if anyone else will sign him...for the kids...