Author Topic: The Official Mitchell Report Thread  (Read 23902 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: The Official Mitchell Report Thread
« Reply #625: January 16, 2008, 08:30:28 PM »
It's obvious that short of Congress intervening this will never end.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #626: January 26, 2008, 12:16:12 AM »

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #627: January 26, 2008, 12:25:37 AM »
I think the only way this will ever be put to bed is to declare a blanket amnesty (a la the South African "Truth and Reconciliation Committee") and just get it all out there, and move on.  The asshats like McGwire, Palmeiro, and Clemens will either come clean or become blackballed pariahs.

Newest update on Clemens:

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=126&sid=1326402

Offline saltydad

« Reply #628: January 26, 2008, 03:29:59 PM »
I think the only way this will ever be put to bed is to declare a blanket amnesty (a la the South African "Truth and Reconciliation Committee") and just get it all out there, and move on.  The asshats like McGwire, Palmeiro, and Clemens will either come clean or become blackballed pariahs.

I'd be in favor of such an amnesty for PED usage, but not for selling or for lying under oath. Could be a good way of wrapping this era up as long as the MLB is super strict in the future. Having an outside group doing the testing would be an obvious necessity, otherwise we're having the fox test the chickens.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #629: January 26, 2008, 05:52:25 PM »
Having an outside group doing the testing would be an obvious necessity, otherwise we're having the fox test the chickens.

Not going to happen.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #630: January 27, 2008, 04:46:04 PM »
Not going to happen.

Fehr or Selig as the obstruction? And in any case, if the push from Congress is big enough, they might not have a choice.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #631: January 27, 2008, 05:53:01 PM »
Fehr or Selig as the obstruction? And in any case, if the push from Congress is big enough, they might not have a choice.

I would love to see it but I don't really see Congress making that push.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #632: January 28, 2008, 10:10:16 AM »
So Clemens' agent has released a small volume trying to prove how his stats don't support the idea that he used PED's. The moron doth protest too much, methinks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3218315

natsfan1a

« Reply #633: January 29, 2008, 03:41:06 PM »
Tom Verducci's take on the Clemens Report (AKA Lies, Da**ed Lies and Statistics)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/tom_verducci/01/29/verducci.clemensreport/index.html

natsfan1a

« Reply #634: January 30, 2008, 09:24:07 AM »
McNamee's lawyer believes that Pettitte will back the trainer:

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=126&sid=1326402

Offline spidernat

« Reply #635: January 30, 2008, 09:28:33 AM »
I saw this reported on ESPN last night. Don't people know how to keep their mouths shut? If he believes this will happen why not remain silent and allow it to happen without putting it out there unless they are trying to influence the testimony by saying they are counting on Pettitte's reputation. Are these guys so starved for media attention that they need to yap all the time about any little thing that comes up?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #636: January 30, 2008, 10:29:15 AM »
It's probably more like these mouthpieces are sending smoke signals to the other camps. If everyone knows what everyone is likely to say in advance, it's easier to  not contradict each other.

I saw this reported on ESPN last night. Don't people know how to keep their mouths shut? If he believes this will happen why not remain silent and allow it to happen without putting it out there unless they are trying to influence the testimony by saying they are counting on Pettitte's reputation. Are these guys so starved for media attention that they need to yap all the time about any little thing that comes up?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #637: January 30, 2008, 10:33:59 AM »
It's probably more like these mouthpieces are sending smoke signals to the other camps. If everyone knows what everyone is likely to say in advance, it's easier to  not contradict each other.

So what are you suggesting this means?