Author Topic: THE Official Nats Fantasy and Gaming Thread  (Read 384 times)

Offline aBaltoNat

THE Official Nats Fantasy and Gaming Thread
« Topic Start: April 15, 2016, 12:11:13 AM »
I know a lot of us play fantasy baseball (My Nats affiliation kills me very year) and several probably still play MLB the Show as a supplement to real life.

I'm rocking hard this year on Fantasy Nats--Rendon, Murphy and Ross.

My question is--if the Nats were to try and update their bullpen with a strong RHP, say--Hunter Strickland (SF) or Darren O'Day (BALT)...what do you think it would take from our standpoint?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: THE Official Nats Fantasy and Gaming Thread
« Reply #1: April 15, 2016, 08:56:34 AM »
I'm guessing you are using O'Day as a type of pitcher rather than as a specific trade target.  The Os just re-signed him to a multi-year deal after outbidding the Nats.  I don't think there is any way he would be traded.  If you said Koji Uehara or Joe Smith, it might be more realistic.  As for what it would take for that type (established righty set up guy who could close if necessary), I'm going to guess a guy like Motte who we just traded for, close to the majors as a reliever, or perhaps one of the pitching Taylor types and a good lower minors arm, or perhaps a good lower minors position prospect.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #2: April 16, 2016, 11:33:57 PM »
I'm guessing you are using O'Day as a type of pitcher rather than as a specific trade target.  The Os just re-signed him to a multi-year deal after outbidding the Nats.  I don't think there is any way he would be traded.  If you said Koji Uehara or Joe Smith, it might be more realistic.  As for what it would take for that type (established righty set up guy who could close if necessary), I'm going to guess a guy like Motte who we just traded for, close to the majors as a reliever, or perhaps one of the pitching Taylor types and a good lower minors arm, or perhaps a good lower minors position prospect.

I meant Darren specifically, but you are correct. He just signed.

So what about Strickland? We could use a dominant arm like that late in the game to pair with Rivero.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: April 17, 2016, 12:18:08 PM »

So what about Strickland? We could use a dominant arm like that late in the game to pair with Rivero.
I suspect a dominant arm with under a year's service time going into 2016 will cost you more than an arm and a leg.  Add in that the Giants figure to contend near the trade deadline, I just don't see it.  Who is our best pitching prospect not named Giolito?  Voth or Lopez?  That would be the starting point, and you'd have to add something else that is useful.

You might be better off targeting an arm that is on a non-contender at the deadline that is too expensive.  Kind of like what we did with Philly for Papelbon last year, without the head case.   Jason Grilli will likely be traded, but do you want to send ATL prospects for him?  Bryan Morris?  Frankly, I'm not sure who out there is an upgrade over what I expect out of Shawn Kelley. 

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #4: April 17, 2016, 05:15:40 PM »
I suspect a dominant arm with under a year's service time going into 2016 will cost you more than an arm and a leg.  Add in that the Giants figure to contend near the trade deadline, I just don't see it.  Who is our best pitching prospect not named Giolito?  Voth or Lopez?  That would be the starting point, and you'd have to add something else that is useful.

You might be better off targeting an arm that is on a non-contender at the deadline that is too expensive.  Kind of like what we did with Philly for Papelbon last year, without the head case.   Jason Grilli will likely be traded, but do you want to send ATL prospects for him?  Bryan Morris?  Frankly, I'm not sure who out there is an upgrade over what I expect out of Shawn Kelley.

I'm not really interested in someone like Grilli. What about a Quackenbush/Furbush type of player?

Honestly though, for Strickland--I'd be ok giving up a Voth or Lopez plus someone like Difo.