Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 97610 times)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #1525: May 28, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
Looks good.  What's the liquid?

The liquid under the chicken in the pan is just water. It keeps the smoke from drying out the meat.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1526: May 28, 2012, 04:37:08 PM »
why?
Tomorrow marks the return of bland food city. Boo.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1527: May 28, 2012, 04:44:38 PM »
why?

I've been on a bit of a birthday binge the past week.

• babble on
« Reply #1528: May 28, 2012, 08:06:25 PM »
Me too.  It must have been for your birthday since mine is in October. 

I've been on a bit of a birthday binge the past week.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1529: May 28, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »
some spices can help offset bland without calories

Tomorrow marks the return of bland food city. Boo.

• babble on
« Reply #1530: May 28, 2012, 10:23:09 PM »
garlic and chiles aren't just for breakfast anymore

some spices can help offset bland without calories

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1531: May 30, 2012, 05:49:02 PM »
This past Saturday night's dinner, seen shortly before I put it on the grill (my hand is there to give a sense of the size of the piece of meat). It was a tri-tip of about 2.25 pounds from the Springfield Butcher that had been marinating in the refrigerator since Friday night (marinade consisted of salsa, barbecue sauce, jalapeno juice, ground mustard, and kosher salt). After taking the picture I seasoned it with some salt, pepper, and other stuff before grilling over medium heat for around 25 minutes.

Second time I've made this and we liked it enough that we're going to prepare it for my parents for Father's Day dinner. The recipe came from, of all place, the Parade magazine insert in the Sunday paper. I've never read that section but my wife does and now she's found several decent recipes in there, so I just might have to reconsider my opinion about that section being a gossip section for women.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1532: May 30, 2012, 11:04:04 PM »
sounds good!  My favorite marinade as late is Guy Fieri's bloody mary mix.  I've used it for flank steak per the recipe, but I'd bet it would be nice for the tri-tip.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bloody-mary-flank-steak-recipe/index.html

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1533: May 30, 2012, 11:13:17 PM »
Tgat steak looks good, Cider vinegar, apple juice, honey or turbino sugar (depending on if you plan on injection) mustard paprika salt pepper is my go to marinade for pork and chicken

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1534: June 01, 2012, 11:41:35 AM »
Veal chops for dinner last night (the lemon slices were on the grill for maybe about 30 seconds to a minute per side). Simple marinade of olive oil, chopped tarragon, lemon juice, and lemon zest.

..........followed by THE COOLEST birthday cake ever!

• babble on
« Reply #1535: June 01, 2012, 12:46:22 PM »
That cake is so full of win  :thumbs:

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1536: June 01, 2012, 12:56:32 PM »
That cake is so full of win  :thumbs:

A lady at my wife's office (she's also one of the people with whom we share Caps season tickets) MADE that cake. I was gobsmacked when I saw it since I can't even frost a basic cake made from a Betty Crocker mix. If you look closely you can see a small blue square beyond the "s" in the Capitals logo. That was the "trademark" symbol. Talk about detailed! (I say "was" because that was the end of the cake we ate last night and so that piece is either in one of our stomachs or has been....well, never mind.)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1537: June 01, 2012, 12:59:32 PM »
I ate a Quarter Pounder from McDonalds today for the first time in at least three years.  Yuck doesn't begin to describe the way it tasted or the way I feel right now. How do people eat this crap?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1538: June 01, 2012, 01:02:23 PM »
BTW, here is the recipe for that tri-tip shown further up the thread. Text in brackets consists of my comments:

Marinade:
    3/4 cup salsa
    1/4 cup tomato-based barbecue sauce
    1/4 cup liquid from a jar of pickled jalapeños
    2 tsp dry mustard
    1/2 tsp salt

1 sirloin tri-tip or top sirloin (about 2 lb)

Seasoning:
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp meat seasoning (McCormick or Susie Q’s)

Sides [we did not make the beans, in part because the only beans that do not make me fart are black beans and they take too long to make]:
    Canned ranch-style beans
    1 loaf sourdough or French bread, sliced in half lengthwise, toasted and buttered

1. Combine marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add meat; marinate for several hours or overnight.

2. Heat grill. (A charcoal grill stocked with oak charcoal is best, but a gas grill works well, too.) <---[I used gas and didn't add wood chips because I didn't have any. Might get some before I make this again next week.]

3. Wipe excess marinade from meat. Apply meat seasoning.

4. Grill steak over medium until cooked to taste, usually 25 to 30 minutes. For medium-rare, the temperature should be 145°F. [That's what the recipe says. But remember the temperature will continue to rise when you take it off the grill. I slightly overcooked it last time, although it wasn't dried out, so this time I may shoot for a little under 25 minutes.]

5. Let meat rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice very thin. Serve with beans and toasted bread.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1539: June 01, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »
Went to some healthy sort of place where Giffords used to be on E street today "Freshii."  Had something with kale, brown rice, tofu, spinach and some other stuff.  The gimmick is they post all the wonderful things the ingredients are supposed to do for you.  After that, and the yogurt, Go Lean, and strawberries for breakfast, I'm really psyched to eat a steak at the pub tonight, if I learn to swim through the Danger Zone.

• babble on
« Reply #1540: June 01, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »
What are those ingredients supposed to do (other than guarantee a lot of getting caught up on e-mail whilest enthroned for half the afternoon)?

Went to some healthy sort of place where Giffords used to be on E street today "Freshii."  Had something with kale, brown rice, tofu, spinach and some other stuff.  The gimmick is they post all the wonderful things the ingredients are supposed to do for you.  After that, and the yogurt, Go Lean, and strawberries for breakfast, I'm really psyched to eat a steak at the pub tonight, if I learn to swim through the Danger Zone.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1541: June 01, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »
Well, I think you hit the purpose of the brown rice. 

The kale I think is to keep me from nodding off while I write responses to comments this afternoon.  Light enough and indigestible.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1542: June 01, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »
I ate a Quarter Pounder from McDonalds today for the first time in at least three years.  Yuck doesn't begin to describe the way it tasted or the way I feel right now. How do people eat this crap?

Whatever, they are delicious.

• babble on
« Reply #1543: June 01, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »
Is that the one with two thin beige "patties" and gobs of glistening goo on a diseased bun that looks like it was taken from a med school anatomy theatre?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1544: June 01, 2012, 03:25:16 PM »
Is that the one with two thin beige "patties" and gobs of glistening goo on a diseased bun that looks like it was taken from a med school anatomy theatre?

all that pink slime rejected elsewhere has to go somewhere.    :shrug:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1545: June 01, 2012, 03:27:51 PM »
Whatever, they are delicious.

Eating a quarter pounder when you could be eating a real burger is like watching animated Lord of the Rings when you could be watching Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1546: June 01, 2012, 03:29:25 PM »
It was McDonalds or bonking out.  I would have went to Jimmy Johns but there was no parking.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1547: June 01, 2012, 04:06:31 PM »
You guys can act smug all you want, sometimes there's a craving that only McDonalds can fulfill.  I think they put some kind of drug in it.  Yeah, you feel dirty and like you need to take a shower afterwards, but as you're shoving it down your gullet, it's euphoria.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1548: June 01, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »
You guys can act smug all you want, sometimes there's a craving that only McDonalds can fulfill.  I think they put some kind of drug in it.  Yeah, you feel dirty and like you need to take a shower afterwards, but as you're shoving it down your gullet, it's euphoria.

The Sausage and Egg McGriddle is awesome. I worked at a McD's for 3 years as a teenager. Best thing I ever made there was meatloaf burgers. They were delicious.

• babble on
« Reply #1549: June 01, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »
Well, if you put it like that I guess I can relate.  Sometimes you just have to look around to make sure no one you know is around before drinking something out of a brown paper bag and having a chat with your fave pigeon.