Author Topic: Plaudits for Werth  (Read 6964 times)

Offline aspenbubba

Plaudits for Werth
« Topic Start: August 16, 2012, 01:57:22 PM »
I think that we have overlooked something on  this recent road trip. Werth has been banging out hits at a great rate. Dont need to cite the slash lines . You have read them on the beat reporters blogs. Yes , it is a small sample size but I think that Werth has absolutely no self -induced pressure to win a game single handed as he may have had last year. We have won with him and without him. Though ,he isn't hitting for power  I suspect he hasn't regained all his strength back in his wrist and legs.

I was one of the first to call for Werths' benching last year and I still stand by my screed. I am also able to hand out plaudits when they are due. He is playing like the player that Rizzo hoped for when he overpaid for him. No one can deny that he has not been a positive club house presense and a mentor to our younger players.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
Re: Plaudits for Werth
« Reply #1: August 16, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »
            :clap: :yesyes:     HUZZAH........

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #2: August 16, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »
:clap:

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #3: August 16, 2012, 02:11:39 PM »
He looks confident at the plate now.  I hope you're right about the power just being slow to come back after the long layoff and the wrist injury.  The Nats could have a pretty powerful lineup if he starts hitting homers instead of singles.  Already, the Nats are 5th in homers and 6th in both SLG% and OPS.  He also has been good in right field (though not very good in center).

Like you mention, it seems like he has brought a sense of self confidence to the team.  It's hard to measure the impact of that, but it does seem like it has had at least some positive impact.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #4: August 16, 2012, 02:26:01 PM »
I never thought I would ever see this a thread a like this.

Good on you, aspen.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #5: August 16, 2012, 02:27:06 PM »
werth tried to do too much last year.  he may not admit it, but it's the truth.  his stats weren't all there, but you ask any person in that clubhouse and they will tell you he changed the attitude of how to act on the field, in the dugout, in the clubhouse and on the road. 

they thought so much of him they shipped out morgan for next to nothing.  werth is beloved by his teammates and the player we are seeing this year (albeit he hasn't been healthy the entire season) is the werth we thought we were getting.

i'm looking forward to big things out of him down the stretch.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #6: August 16, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »
He's shown his metal (too easy to write "Werth").    I am beginning to worry about his ankle though.   He was a'hobblin' yesterday.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #7: August 16, 2012, 03:15:08 PM »
werth tried to do too much last year.  he may not admit it, but it's the truth. 

He's actually come out and said it. That and a few other excuses. My favorite was that he didn't have video from his previous year's ABs.

Offline spit

« Reply #8: August 16, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »
werth tried to do too much last year.  he may not admit it, but it's the truth.  his stats weren't all there, but you ask any person in that clubhouse and they will tell you he changed the attitude of how to act on the field, in the dugout, in the clubhouse and on the road. 

they thought so much of him they shipped out morgan for next to nothing.  werth is beloved by his teammates and the player we are seeing this year (albeit he hasn't been healthy the entire season) is the werth we thought we were getting.

i'm looking forward to big things out of him down the stretch.

morgan was on his way out anyway. but i think it takes balls for him to come in and demand respect like he did anyway

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #9: August 16, 2012, 03:39:20 PM »
Ha! Because Espi had a 14 pitch at bat, and he went on seven of them! :)
He's shown his metal (too easy to write "Werth").    I am beginning to worry about his ankle though.   He was a'hobblin' yesterday.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #10: August 17, 2012, 11:06:29 AM »
We missed this gem:

Lombardozzi will not be able to play second base every day once Desmond returns to shortstop, with Espinosa shifting back to second. But Manager Davey Johnson will find times and places for him to play.

“Well, I’ll find him spots,” Johnson said. “He’s been great in the outfield. He’s great leading off. I’m going to lead off [Jayson] Werth but I can [play] Lombo when I don’t play Werth. I can play him some at third, some at second. I’ll just expand the role.”

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #11: August 17, 2012, 11:23:14 AM »
Good catch.  Should be interesting since he struggled there last year.  But he struggled everywhere in the lineup last year, so who knows.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #12: August 17, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »
We missed this gem:

i thought it was discussed in one of the gameday threads? 

i like it.  he should be the leadoff hitter.  epsecially when we get josh hamilton next year too. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #13: August 17, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »
Good catch.  Should be interesting since he struggled there last year.  But he struggled everywhere in the lineup last year, so who knows.

I think he hated Riggleman much like Dunn hated Ozzie.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #14: August 17, 2012, 12:32:52 PM »
Am I the only one who finds it odd that Werth does this when MDS leaves? Almost like he planned it ...

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #15: August 17, 2012, 12:33:31 PM »
Am I the only one who finds it odd that Werth does this when MDS leaves? Almost like he planned it ...

Speaking of which, where is MDS? He take off with Spidernat?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: August 17, 2012, 12:33:58 PM »
Hammonds - I've seen us kick around the idea, but I missed where the quote was picked up.  In any case, since this isn't game-specific, it is useful to break it out into the Werth thread.

I think the link or Boz's article today discusses the leadoff problems he's had but points out he's the one pushing it. He's also the one to say, "look at our record last year when I was leading off." 

Actually, I think it was an NJ articale around 8/1:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/jayson-werth-to-bat-leadoff-or-sixth-when-he-returns/2012/08/01/gJQAnqH9PX_blog.html

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #17: August 17, 2012, 12:34:03 PM »

Maybe they're having one of those man vacations together ... hmmm ...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #18: August 17, 2012, 12:35:36 PM »

He's doing his thing.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #19: August 17, 2012, 12:36:12 PM »
Hammonds - I've seen us kick around the idea, but I missed where the quote was picked up.  In any case, since this isn't game-specific, it is useful to break it out into the Werth thread.

I think the link or Boz's article today discusses the leadoff problems he's had but points out he's the one pushing it. He's also the one to say, "look at our record last year when I was leading off." 

no i wasn't being a thread nazi, i was just stating i thought we had a discussion about it somewhere, can't remember.

and MDS knows he was wrong calling werth, werthless this year.  he's been a good player for us.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #20: August 17, 2012, 12:38:16 PM »
Oh, I was just wondering where he's been. I miss all of his hopeless optimism and love of caucasians.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21: August 17, 2012, 12:41:27 PM »
Hammonds - wasn't saying you were. if anything, I'm the one saying where it would be good to post the info. 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #22: August 17, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
Soooo... back on point, Werth has been playing pretty well this year. Hope his hoof doesn't slow him down much.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #23: August 17, 2012, 01:02:07 PM »
Soooo... back on point, Werth has been playing pretty well this year. Hope his hoof doesn't slow him down much.

he hit a triple with it the other day and has been swinging a good bat since his return.  the good thing is davey is in love with tyler moore so he can get some more ABs out there, or even Bernadina who has played really well in the 2nd half.  so you can afford to sit werth here and there.  he's a gamer though. 

Offline Bloo

« Reply #24: August 17, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »
Still don't like him. He's the reason Nyjer is no longer on the team.