Author Topic: So, About That Aaron Crow Fellow...  (Read 10496 times)

So, About That Aaron Crow Fellow...
« Topic Start: May 13, 2010, 10:52:46 AM »
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/as-the-aaron-crow-flies/

While perusing the Royals’ organizational chart the other day, I realized that it’s been quite some time since I’ve heard anything about Aaron Crow. The right-hander, you’ll recall, was the ninth overall pick by the Washington Nationals during the 2008 draft.

Stepping back into 2008 again, the Top 2 pitchers in the draft that year were Crow and Brian Matusz of the University of San Diego. Here is what Baseball American said about Crow before the ‘08 amateur draft:

In three years, Crow has gone from an undrafted high school senior to the best righthander in the 2008 draft, thanks largely to the best fastball package available. Other pitchers may throw harder, but no one can match the combination of Crow’s velocity (92-96 mph with a peak of 98), hard sink, command and ability to maintain his fastball… Some teams wonder if his mechanics and size (generously listed at 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds) might make him more of a closer than a front-line starter. Crow led the Cape Cod League with a 0.67 ERA last summer and was the No. 1 prospect in the league.

And here is a little something on Matusz:

Like David Price, the No. 1 pick last year, Matusz is tall and lanky at 6-foot-5 and 200 pounds, and scouts have history with him. He didn’t sign with the Angels in 2005 as a fourth-round pick out of an Arizona high school, and he starred for Team USA last summer, after ranking second (behind Price) in the nation in strikeouts… Matusz profiles as a middle of the rotation starter at worst, and if he improves his fastball and mechanics, he can become a staff ace.

There was a lot of debate over who was the better pick but it appears that Baltimore made the smart decision to take the more advanced left-hander. While Crow is struggling in double-A, Matusz is holding his own at the MLB level and has 15 MLB starts under his belt with a career xFIP of 4.58.

Unable to come to terms with Washington in ‘08, Crow re-entered the draft in ‘09 and went 12th overall to the Royals. He didn’t sign until late in the year so the former University of Missouri star officially began his pro career in April, 2010.

In the first start of his career, Crow allowed just one unearned run in 4.2 innings. His subsequent double-A starts have been inconsistent. His best stretch came in two games on April 29 and May 4 when he allowed just five runs on 12 hits in 15.0 innings. He walked three and struck out nine. In his last start against Tulsa (Colorado) on May 9, Crow was touched up for seven runs on seven hits and four walks in 5.0 runs. He did not strike out a batter.

Overall, he’s allowed 43 hits in 41.2 innings. Crow has given up 17 walks with just 21 strikeouts. Despite an excellent ground-ball rate of 70%, Crow has given up six homers (1.20 HR/9). If he keeps up that ground-ball rate, he should have some success, but he’s not going to reach his ceiling of a No. 1 or 2 starter with a sub-5.00 strikeout rate. It’s still early to get too worried, but flashes of Luke Hochevar are dancing in my head; one under-performing former No. 1 draft pick in enough for the Royals organization.

So who here is really still upset that the Nats didn't divvy up a couple extra hundred-tho for this guy? Mind you, we got Drew Storen for his tomfoolery.

The lesson in this: burgers and beer will get you no where-- unless you are a blogger.  :icon_mrgreen:

Online HalfSmokes

Re: So, About That Aaron Crow Fellow...
« Reply #1: May 13, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »

So who here is really still upset that the Nats didn't divvy up a couple extra hundred-tho for this guy? Mind you, we got Drew Storen for his tomfoolery.

The lesson in this: burgers and beer will get you no where-- unless you are a blogger.  :icon_mrgreen:

no, but I'd still rather Smoak than storen

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #2: May 13, 2010, 06:43:18 PM »
should have picked Smoak.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #3: May 14, 2010, 08:54:49 AM »
...and speaking of the Royals, Trey Hillman just became this year's first in-season managerial casualty (replaced by former Brewers skipper Ned Yost).

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #4: May 14, 2010, 09:53:02 AM »
no, but I'd still rather Smoak than storen
I'm going to wait a couple of years to make that judgment.  If Storen does, in fact, turn out to be the next Rivera or Hoffman, I'll be ok with that.  If he's the next Cordero, I'll probably have prefered Smoak.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #5: May 14, 2010, 11:40:29 AM »
drew storen > aaron crow

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #6: May 14, 2010, 11:43:13 AM »
Smoak > Storen > Crow

Oh well... I'm happy to have Drew either way!

I can dream of Smoak though!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #7: May 14, 2010, 06:58:19 PM »
Smoak > Storen > Crow

Oh well... I'm happy to have Drew either way!

I can dream of Smoak though!
If we had Smoak, we'd get to see Roarin' Storen's photoshop of Lost and the "Smoak Monster."  Of course, he'd have a different username.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8: May 15, 2010, 02:56:36 PM »

i wonder if the pre burger and beer crow would have turned out better

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #9: May 16, 2010, 10:50:44 PM »
On Baseball America's "Not-So-Hot List."
• Aaron Crow, rhp, Royals. It's way too early to start hitting the panic button with Crow, but the 2009 first-rounder's adjustment to affiliated ball has been less dominating than expected. This week Crow, 23, had the worst start of his very young pro career when he gave up seven earned runs in five innings against Tulsa. Crow's problem this season has largely consisted of failing to keep the ball in the park—he's given up six home runs this season. In the three starts he hasn't given up a home run, Crow is 1-0, 1.37. In the four starts where he has given up home runs, he's 0-2, 4.91.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: May 17, 2010, 09:08:29 AM »
Don't forget, thanks to his vacation he's now old for the league, and you would expect an older (more physically mature) player to be dominating

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #11: May 17, 2010, 11:53:15 AM »
I'm thinking of going to a Northwest Arkansas Naturals game to taunt him.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #12: May 17, 2010, 05:43:15 PM »
Bring him Five Guys.

Offline nattybred

« Reply #13: May 19, 2010, 10:32:02 AM »
I wish the worst for Crow. 

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #14: May 20, 2010, 04:35:35 PM »
I wish the worst for Crow. 

Well getting drafted by the Royals is a start. I've never seen an organization with so many fail prospects...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: May 20, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »
Alex Gordon is now in the running to be one of the biggest busts in the MLB draft's history

Offline PC

« Reply #16: May 20, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »
Alex Gordon is now in the running to be one of the biggest busts in the MLB draft's history

Royals demote draft-bust Gordon to minors; switch from 3B to left field

The Kansas City Royals, who admittedly blew it by taking Alex Gordon with the No. 2 pick in the 2005 draft instead of several All-Stars, are hoping to now salvage their choice by moving Gordon to left field.

They demoted Gordon to Triple-A Omaha, and told him he will be moved from third base to the outfield.

The Royals, who bypassed All-Stars Ryan Braun, Ryan Zimmerman and Troy Tulowitzki in the draft, believe that Gordon's defensive deficiencies may be responsible for his offensive woes. He made four errors in just 10 games this year

"He's played it before, a long time ago,'' Royals manager Troy Hillman told reporters. "It's been a while. If I had to guess, as long as it goes OK, the majority of it would be in left."

Gordon is hitting just .194 with one homer and one RBI in 12 games this season. He lost his starting job to Alberto Callaspo.

"We need Alex to play,'' Hillman says. "He is going to go down and do some work in left field, get some playing time in the field, some at first base. Not going to ditch third entirely, but I'm hoping that a change in position will give him an opportunity to swing the bat a little bit better. ...

"We will see how it goes."

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: May 20, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
The Royals, who bypassed All-Stars Ryan Braun, Ryan Zimmerman and Troy Tulowitzki in the draft, believe that Gordon's defensive deficiencies may be responsible for his offensive woes. He made four errors in just 10 games this year

:lmao: Doesn't seem to hurt most sluggers' games. Maybe he just isn't as good a hitter as people thought

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #18: May 20, 2010, 07:01:33 PM »
:lmao: Doesn't seem to hurt most sluggers' games. Maybe he just isn't as good a hitter as people thought

Just imagine how good Adam Dunn would be if he didn't have his defensive deficiencies :shock:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #19: May 20, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »
AG's actually doing really well in the outfield so far and has made a couple adjustments to his swing and has been tearing the cover off the ball.  He'll be just fine.  I mean, he just turned 26 this year.

Online blue911

« Reply #20: May 21, 2010, 06:09:02 AM »
AG's actually doing really well in the outfield so far and has made a couple adjustments to his swing and has been tearing the cover off the ball.  He'll be just fine.  I mean, he just turned 26 this year.

Sounds like another Phil Nevin.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #21: May 21, 2010, 08:37:46 AM »

for him, just fine would mean justifying being a number two pick in a deep draft. He may do it, but he's pretty far behind now

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #22: May 24, 2010, 06:59:37 AM »
Aaron Crow is a bum and he deserves what he gets. I hope he never steps foot on a ML field.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #23: May 27, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »
Aaron Crow is a bum and he deserves what he gets. I hope he never steps foot on a ML field.
I'm not sure I would go that far. I have always put the onus on the HenDICKS Bros for their bargaining in bad faith. Crow was just a 21 year old kid and you couldn't expect him to fire the agents or tell them what to do. His parents are also culpable as JB called them and tried to reason with them. I just hope the Storen continues to outshine him .

Online blue911

« Reply #24: May 27, 2010, 10:35:04 AM »
I'm not sure I would go that far. I have always put the onus on the HenDICKS Bros for their bargaining in bad faith. Crow was just a 21 year old kid and you couldn't expect him to fire the agents or tell them what to do. His parents are also culpable as JB called them and tried to reason with them. I just hope the Storen continues to outshine him .

The unwritten rule is that the team is to contact the agent and the agent only.