Author Topic: Hockey player makes transition to baseball  (Read 1857 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Hockey player makes transition to baseball
« Topic Start: April 26, 2007, 09:43:37 PM »
An incredible story, quite inspirational.

Thanks to Zilla on the mlb board for finding this.

Required viewing for all hockey / baseball fans!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Re: Hockey player makes transition to baseball
« Reply #1: April 26, 2007, 09:53:17 PM »
LOLOLOL .....and not just a Canadian

nospinzone1

« Reply #2: April 27, 2007, 01:15:05 AM »
An incredible story, quite inspirational.

Thanks to Zilla on the mlb board for finding this.

Required viewing for all hockey / baseball fans!

ONE OF MY EX COWORKERS HAS AN ONLY SON THAT WAS PLAYING HOCKEY AS A GOALIE AND NOW HE IS A REF.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #3: April 27, 2007, 12:48:04 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: April 27, 2007, 02:28:55 PM »
Sens, thanks for watching it.  I must have made the thread title too boring, cause the video's well worth the few minutes it takes to watch.

We could use a few players like Clark on our team.

Hiller, as a Canadian, you might especially appreciate the humor, even if you aren't from Moosejaw.

nospinzone1

« Reply #5: April 27, 2007, 02:56:12 PM »
GUYS AND DOLLS: I AM GOING TO GO A LITTLE BIT ON MEMORY LANE. I CAME TO THE STATES IN 1954. ALL BASEBALL AT THE TIME. FRIENDS OF MINE WERE HOCKEY NUTS AND THEY TRIED AND TRIED TO GET ME TO A HOCKEY GAME. IN THOSE DAYS WE HAD A MINOR LEAGUE TEAM THAT PLAYED AT ULINE ARENA. THEY FINALLY CONVINCED ME TO GO TO A GAME , AND GUESS WHAT? I GOT HOOKED...COULD NOT GET ME OUT OF THE PLACE. I REMEMB ER A COUPLE OF PLAYES. ONE WAS NICKNAMED MOOSE, A DEFENSEMAN....MET HIM OFF THE ICE AND WHAT A NICE PERSON. WE HAD ANOTHER PLAYER NICKNAMED WALLY, HE WAS FEISTY AND WOULD FIGHT ALL THE TIME.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6: April 27, 2007, 05:23:21 PM »
is that really where the term "hoser" comes from

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #7: April 28, 2007, 02:29:58 PM »
I doubt it...the first time I encountered the term was from the McKenzie brothers back in the mid-80s.  Who can understand the Canucks...I mean really?  They worship maple trees and put gravy on their french fries for Chrissakes.   :roll:  :lol:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #8: April 28, 2007, 02:46:42 PM »
Oh, yeah, eh, and they paddle canoes everywhere and live on nothing but flapjacks, moose, and beer...LOL

Hell, Toronto and Vancouver might as well be part of Asia at this point, but I still love the old stereotypes ;-)

I doubt it...the first time I encountered the term was from the McKenzie brothers back in the mid-80s.  Who can understand the Canucks...I mean really?  They worship maple trees and put gravy on their french fries for Chrissakes.   :roll:  :lol:

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #9: April 28, 2007, 02:51:08 PM »
Oh, yeah, eh, and they paddle canoes everywhere and live on nothing but flapjacks, moose, and beer...LOL

Hell, Toronto and Vancouver might as well be part of Asia at this point, but I still love the old stereotypes ;-)

Stereotypes my ass - does your flag not have a Maple Leaf in the middle of it?  And do you or do you not put gravy on your french fries?  I mean hell - the last time I was there McDonalds up there used to serve fries with a little two prong plastic fork!   :stupid:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #10: April 29, 2007, 12:13:31 AM »
Well, yeah, two prongs is all you need for poutine!  And seal blubber!!

Stereotypes my ass - does your flag not have a Maple Leaf in the middle of it?  And do you or do you not put gravy on your french fries?  I mean hell - the last time I was there McDonalds up there used to serve fries with a little two prong plastic fork!   :stupid:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: April 30, 2007, 09:35:31 AM »
First time I ever had gravy with fries was in Winchester, Va.  Uuuuhhhhmmmmm  good.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #12: April 30, 2007, 10:48:51 AM »
First time I ever had gravy with fries was in Winchester, Va.  Uuuuhhhhmmmmm  good.
Are you serious?  What kinda restaurant was that?!? 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: April 30, 2007, 11:21:14 AM »
Sens, you would have loved it I bet.  It was called the "Rustic Tavern", which was an understatement.  Had one table inside that seated 14 people.  You stood in the doorway until there was a seat available, no preferences, you just joined the lunchroom community there.  Guy ran it was named Jesse, he was an older black guy whose specialty was pies, but it was down home cooking at its best.  Cheap, too.  I would get the open face turkey sandwich with fries, and gravy all over it, and a piece of chocolate chip pie for desert.  Unbelievable.

I went by a couple of years ago looking for it, but it's long gone, though the building is still there.  Adjacent to the pedestrian mall downtown.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #14: April 30, 2007, 11:28:46 AM »
Sens, you would have loved it I bet.  It was called the "Rustic Tavern", which was an understatement.  Had one table inside that seated 14 people.  You stood in the doorway until there was a seat available, no preferences, you just joined the lunchroom community there.  Guy ran it was named Jesse, he was an older black guy whose specialty was pies, but it was down home cooking at its best.  Cheap, too.  I would get the open face turkey sandwich with fries, and gravy all over it, and a piece of chocolate chip pie for desert.  Unbelievable.

I went by a couple of years ago looking for it, but it's long gone, though the building is still there.  Adjacent to the pedestrian mall downtown.
Oh, it's gravy on an open face turkey sandwich that is spooned over the fries...that's different.  I thought it was gravy served with french fries.  The first and only time I ever encountered that was in Canada.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: April 30, 2007, 11:31:39 AM »
In Pittsburgh they use fries as condiments on sandwiches.   :shock:

No wonder the cardiac units are so busy there.