4 (17.4%)
Rays
0 (0%)
Twins
2 (8.7%)
Rangers
6 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: 2010 MLB Playoffs Discussion & Predictions  (Read 12272 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

2010 MLB Playoffs Discussion & Predictions
« Topic Start: September 22, 2010, 11:56:12 AM »
NL East: Philadelphia
NL Central: Cincinnati
NL West: San Francisco
NL Wild Card: Atlanta

AL East: New York
AL Central: Minnesota
AL West: Texas
AL Wild Card: Tampa Bay

Offline DPMOmaha

We've got our first play off spot clinched.  Let the conversation begin.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Go Twins or Rays.

I would love to see Capper get a ring as well as Jim get his first.

Both are deserving of a ring!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
We've got our first play off spot clinched.  Let the conversation begin.

Reds and Rangers are both > 99% chance of clinching. Philthies are at 96% chance of winning the division, 99.94% chance of making the playoffs.

The only remaining drama is between the Braves, Giants, Padres and Rockies for the final two playoff positions in the NL.

Online HalfSmokes

as bad as it sounds I'm rooting big market all the way- the last thing I want is for Stan to have another excuse/example

Offline DPMOmaha

as bad as it sounds I'm rooting big market all the way- the last thing I want is for Stan to have another excuse/example
Do Minnesota and San Fran count?  They're both at about $97 mil each, at least they were before some of their mid-season trades, they're probably both above the $100 mil mark.

That's be a great series for baseball junkies and horrible for Fox's ratings.

Online HalfSmokes

San Fran is extremely aggressive in going after free agents, and I think that Minn is making a transition to larger market now that they have their own stadium. I'm really just rooting against the Padres (possibly the cheapest team in the league and the Rays)

the pitching alone would make that a great series. Hopefully Mauer is 100% for the post season

Offline DPMOmaha

Sweet.  Minnesota (or Texas) vs. San Francisco or bust for me!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Funny thing is,  I like all the AL teams other than the NYY.  In the NL, I'm pullng for the Rox, and have SF as a back up. I think I'll pull for the Rays, just to p off Ben ;)  Of course, with my success rate this year, Ben may want me to pull for the Rays.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
I'm pulling for the Rays or Rangers in the AL.  I can't stand the Twins, mostly because of their self-righteous fan base.  Good ball club, mind you, but i hope they get swept. 

In the NL, I have to pull for the Reds.  Anytime a former Cubs manager can be successful, it warms my heart.

Offline DPMOmaha

I know several Twins fans.  None of them are self-righteous. 

Texas clinched.  OP is updated.

Offline chemist

• Cheering All Zimmermen
Go Twins!  Also I hope the Padres do well; I hope to go to my first playoff game while living here in SD.  Petco Park is a lot of fun.

Offline DPMOmaha

I'm hoping for a Minnesota/Texas ALCS.  A San Francisco/Philly NLCS would be a pitching fans dream.  I'd love to see a San Fran/Cincy NLCS, but I just don't see the Reds being able to beat Philly.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
a Tamps / Twins WS would be nice.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
a Tamps / Twins WS would be nice.
I agree. there's no need for an NL team in the World Series if we want the best teams to play.

Fox has the World Series?  I hope for Cincinatti - Minnesota.

Offline DPMOmaha

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Minnesota's $97 mil is a recent blip, though.  They've been el cheapo for years. 

Do Minnesota and San Fran count?  They're both at about $97 mil each, at least they were before some of their mid-season trades, they're probably both above the $100 mil mark.

That's be a great series for baseball junkies and horrible for Fox's ratings.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
I'm hoping that whoever makes it, they a) play outdoors (i.e. not Tampa) and b) they are in a colder part of the country, or at least one susceptible to foul weather (sorry, Padres).  October baseball should be cold.  Game 2 of the White Sox/Astros series was a perfect example  :D

Online HalfSmokes

Minnesota's $97 mil is a recent blip, though.  They've been el cheapo for years.  

I don't think so, they've always said things will change when they get their new park, and it looks like that's what happened.

Offline DPMOmaha

I don't think so, they've always said things will change when they get their new park, and it looks like that's what happened.
I believe they also had a change in ownership recently too.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Minnesota's $97 mil is a recent blip, though.  They've been el cheapo for years.  

Per Cots, Twins have close to $60 MM committed to 4 players next year - Morneau, Mauer, Cuddyer, and Nathan.  Slowey is in his first year of arb, Liriano and Delmon young in their second, per the Cots spread sheet. Figure that is, conservatively, another $10 MM, plus 5 guys under contract for another $10 MM. Even if they decline arb on Capps, that's 12 guys, $80 MM (Brendan Harris is another $1.75MM). One of the 5 others is Kubel, who I only counted at his buyout ($350K) and not his option price, $5.25 MM.  If that is picked up and you count him as a DH, they'd still be missing 2d - SS - 3B, and a #2 starter to replace Pavano.  If you say Valencia sticks at 3d, that leaves 3 costly holes and $85MM spent.  To my eye, they'll be lucky to come in at $95 MM next year.

By the way, for all of you who do not buy into the notion that you can have a low payroll when players come out of the system but that will expand when system products become arb eligible, the Twins are another example.  Only* teams that are severely market limited, like Florida and perhaps Tampa Bay, dump quality players when they start earning money.  The Nats aren't like that.  They just have not had anyone good hit arb except Chad, who they kept until his arm fell off, and Zimmerman (and perhaps Lannan next year if you think he's good).

* Torii was gettting old and they made a good business decision.  Johan was dumped in order to retain Morneau and eventually Mauer, but that was still a couple of years before the new ball park.  Things might be different if Johan were just now at the end of his contract (assuming he was still healthy, too).

Online HalfSmokes

By the way, for all of you who do not buy into the notion that you can have a low payroll when players come out of the system but that will expand when system products become arb eligible, the Twins are another example.  Only* teams that are severely market limited, like Florida and perhaps Tampa Bay, dump quality players when they start earning money.  

Johan was dumped in order to retain Morneau and eventually Mauer, but that was still a couple of years before the new ball park.  Things might be different if Johan were just now at the end of his contract (assuming he was still healthy, too).

I think the two premises don't quite mesh

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I agree. there's no need for an NL team in the World Series if we want the best teams to play.

Fox has the World Series?  I hope for Cincinatti - Minnesota.

man i need more sleep.  meant to say tampa/twin ALCS.

WS: it's long past time for the giants to take that starting rotation to the WS.

So i'll go with Tampa/SFO

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I think the two premises don't quite mesh
Actually, they mesh nicely once you look at the asterisk.  The Twins were a market limited team in the old stadium so they had to occasionally let internally developed talent go when they hit too costly a stage.  That's Johan at $20+ MM for multiple years before the stadium was built.  Now that they have the new stadium, they are letting the payroll expand naturally, like the Phillies have done, retaining the talent developed through the system.  Bottom line is they have gone from one of the lowest budget teams to top half primarily by retaining arb eligible players at least through arb if not long term.  That describes Morneau, Mauer, Cuddyer, Liriano, Blackburn, Kubel, Baker, Slowey, Span, Crain (who is a potential FA this year after making $2 MM).  They've retained Nathan, too, once acquired. That's where their budget comes from, not really from their FAs (O-Dog, Rauch, who else?).

Online HalfSmokes

They let the best pitcher in baseball go, I'm just saying that's a huge asterisk