Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 50799 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #50: October 22, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »
What B-R says is moore played 4 games in the OF, one at DH in Syracuse in 2012, and 1st the rest of his time in the minors (4 seasons plus another 24 starts this year).

Offline Ray D

« Reply #51: October 22, 2012, 05:09:04 PM »
I can understand that. From my perspective, it is reasonable. This is a good team. A good clubhouse. It blends well together, and LaRoche is a leader. For me, you don't f*** with that dynamic over 13.5 million. A Soriano contract, yeah, screw it. But this? Don't mess with a good thing.

I completely agree.  Just saying, there still are folks here who don't "appreciate" him the way we do.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #52: October 22, 2012, 05:09:12 PM »
This is easy. Morse is basically done:  can't field, run, or hit much any more

He was never a good LF and he sure isn't fast but can't hit? His return from injury could have been a little pre-mature this year as his numbers reflected but he turned it around.He was only 10 points below his stellar 20111 season and could have hit 30 + HR's over 600 AB's. Yes you can say he had a slow start in 2011  but ended up at .301 and 30 plus HR's . I couldn't disagree more.

Everyone who argued for keeping both are spot on. Don't need to rehash what is obvious.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #53: October 22, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
It's not the 13.5 millions, its the years. Laroche is going TL be asking for 3-5 years at that number.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #54: October 22, 2012, 05:26:45 PM »
I don't see why laroche would take less than 4 years.  He is the top infielder on the market and the second best lefty hitter.  Someone will overpay for him.  Pirates, Mariners, and Red Sox all strike me as teams that would be a good fit.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #55: October 22, 2012, 05:27:04 PM »
You need a spot for Moore and I say he duplicates morse much easier than LaRoche, who hits left.
Moore basically IS Morse:  plays first or left about the same, runs about the same, has similar power numbers wherever he has played.  You can afford to lose Morse, but not ALR.

I realize Morse is signed for another year and LaRoche isn't, so I am assuming a reasonable contract is worked out for one and a trade worked out for the other. If not, too bad for both the Nats and ALR.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #56: October 22, 2012, 05:28:12 PM »
Moore will never hit for the average that morse does.  Morse could be a batting champion.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #57: October 22, 2012, 05:36:05 PM »
An important thing to think about is that old players aren't as good now as they were five years ago. Without the 'roids, it's a young man's game.

On the other hand, Morse is what, two years younger?

Funny you should mention 'roids and Morse in the same post.   Didn't he have "issues" about that kind of thing while he was in Seattle.    I really like LaRoche.    I like his demeanor and his glove.    I think he gives Desi and Espi confidence to do some of the things they do.   (I ain't sayin' nothin' about Z'man.)      They know he'll dig 'em out.    Morse is a burden in the OF and I don't think he can give us the glove we need at first.     If LaRoche can deliver appropriate numbers (less than this year but filling a spot successfully somewhere in the order), then I'd take him for 2 years and try to deal Morse to an AL team.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #58: October 22, 2012, 05:38:23 PM »
I would try and swap Morse for Buehrle.

He and Stanton could be roomies.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #59: October 22, 2012, 05:40:13 PM »
I say it all depends.

Adam LaRoche:  It depends on what his contract demands are.  I wouldn't sign him for 3 or more years, but I recall LaRoche being tired of moving his family around a lot.  He might not go for another contract under 3 years, and he could easily find one over that term in the free agent market.  The amount of money is not as big of an issue to me as the years (hey it's not my money!).  Tyler Moore has shown that he can both field and hit as a ML 1B.  And you need to groom him for that role and see what he has. 

Michael Morse:  It's been written that there is an NL scout who predicts Brian Goodwin should be up as early as next year.  I know it's just one scout's prediction, but it has me intrigued.  Maybe there are other scouts who feel the same way.  Maybe our own scouts believe that too.  Not only would Brian Goodwin fill out our CF spot (or possibly LF if you want to keep Harper at CF), but he would be a true leadoff man, something that Rizzo has been trying to find for centuries.  I don't know how truly ready he is, but this year he played well in the minors and is tearing it up now in the Arizona Fall League.  Maybe it's time for Mike Rizzo's white whale to show what he has.  If our scouts and front office feel that Goodwin is ready early next year or even middle of next year, it might be time to send out feelers to see what you can get for Morse.  Moore can replace Morse's power.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #60: October 22, 2012, 05:41:10 PM »
Someone will overpay for him.  Pirates, Mariners, and Red Sox all strike me as teams that would be a good fit.

Pirates, not a chance. That bridge is burned.  Red Sox, I doubt it, they've learned their lesson I think.  Mariners?  Maybe.  Offer two years at 13.5 and if he walks, he walks.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #61: October 22, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »
BOTH!  Dont mess up the chemistry!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #62: October 22, 2012, 06:44:28 PM »
This is easy. Morse is basically done:  can't field, run, or hit much any more and you have a younger, cheaper and better version in Tyler Moore.
So, Michael Morse is done and Tyler Moore is better.

Michael Morse last season hit .301 and 31 HRs. This year, an injury plagued year, he scrapped out .291 and 18 HRs. Tyler Moore's slash line was below Morse's. They're basically equal as fielders. Michael Morse isn't expensive. He is relatively cheap.

For some, ripping on Michael Morse is a new WNFF hobby.

Offline Hondo

« Reply #63: October 22, 2012, 06:47:49 PM »
Doesnt make any sense to not have a keep both option.

I vote to keep both.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #64: October 22, 2012, 06:53:06 PM »
Absolutely.  Though Morse wins the "entertainment value over replacement" metric hands down.

I vote to keep both.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #65: October 22, 2012, 06:58:43 PM »

I vote to keep both.
In the poll's defense, it is a total hypothetical.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #66: October 22, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »
I wouldn't be unhappy if we kept both (though Morse's defense scares me). Still, I voted to keep LaRoche if it were one or the other as long as it was for no more than three years max (even that's pushing it). Morse has proven that he is injury prone. Even after he came back this season he seemed to have some nagging injury throughout and it hurt him. His average and power was still nice, but his already poor plate discipline took a severe hit; that worries me.

I think we can do better by moving him and picking up a free agent outfielder (I agree that Moore is not an adequate replacement in left).

But ultimately I trust Rizzo and would not be dissatisfied if we kept both. I believe if Morse can stay healthy he can get back to his 2011 form and I really like his clubhouse presence.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #67: October 22, 2012, 07:02:15 PM »
Sell both, no brainer.

Yep, they're both going to be looking for big raises, the money is better spent on a true OFer with Moore taking over at 1st.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #68: October 22, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »
FL would laugh you out of the room.

Not so fast... Miami is dumping salary again. Swapping Morse for Buehrle gets them off the hook for about $25M.

Offline blue911

« Reply #69: October 22, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »
Not so fast... Miami is dumping salary again. Swapping Morse for Buehrle gets them off the hook for about $25M.

It would be closer to $40M but the idea is the same.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #70: October 22, 2012, 08:54:25 PM »
Agree

I vote to keep both.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #71: October 22, 2012, 09:46:43 PM »
It would be closer to $40M but the idea is the same.

I just looked at Buehrle's contract, I thought that he got more like 4/$40M, but it was 4/$58M. And the Marlins are on the hook for another $48M. Subtracting about $5M for what is owed Morse, the Marlins would be off the hook for about $43M. That could be attractive to them...

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #72: October 22, 2012, 09:55:57 PM »
Buehrle's contract is pretty heavily backloaded...

4 years/$58M (2012-15), signed by Miami as a free agent 12/8/11, $4M signing bonus (deferred without interest)
12:$6M, 13:$11M, 14:$18M, 15:$19M

Offline blue911

« Reply #73: October 22, 2012, 10:23:59 PM »
I just looked at Buehrle's contract, I thought that he got more like 4/$40M, but it was 4/$58M. And the Marlins are on the hook for another $48M. Subtracting about $5M for what is owed Morse, the Marlins would be off the hook for about $43M. That could be attractive to them...

I think Morse is closer to $7M but it isn't close to Buehrle money.

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #74: October 22, 2012, 11:16:30 PM »
I don't see why laroche would take less than 4 years.  He is the top infielder on the market and the second best lefty hitter.  Someone will overpay for him.  Pirates, Mariners, and Red Sox all strike me as teams that would be a good fit.

I definitely think that teams will offer him an "over-market" contract.  My question is if Laroche will give the Nats a home town discount to stay with a contender.

Laroche is nearing the end of his career and the Nats are his best choice if he wants a ring.  All the big spenders that will compete in the next 2-3 years have first base locked down.