Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40295 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Google Thread
« Reply #75: February 09, 2010, 02:25:36 PM »
anyone see this Google Buzz thing?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #76: February 09, 2010, 04:25:46 PM »
anyone see this Google Buzz thing?

http://www.google.com/buzz

<----Google Buzz intro video.

ok, did some reading.

apparently this Buzz thing is supposed to basically be Google's answer to facebook.  I don't know much about it because it is not activated on my account yet.

but it is Native to your Gmail(adds a tab inside your GMail Interface where you can access it). and you can share pictures, quick messages, status updates and crap like that. It's also integrated into your google profile. Supposedly it initially builds your Buzz contacts from your Google Contacts, and then you can tweak/add/delete people from there. It integrates with Twitter, Flickr, and Picasa, and Google Reader. I'm not sure what other 3rd party services it integrates with as well. Meaning you can see Your Twitter feed, pics on flickr and picasa web albums and such. as far as I can see, it's basically a more "open" version of Facebook. or at least it is supposed to be. like I said, I haven't actually used it yet.

It is also integrated with your Google Profile. if you go to my Google Profile here:

http://www.google.com/profiles/jmwthe4th

you'll see an option to Follow me, just like in Twitter, and you'll be able to see who I am following, and who is following me.  You'll also see Buzz activity on the Google Profile page as well, though I am not exactly sure how much you will see. I looked at someone else's page, and there was a comment stream added to his Profile. I don't have that yet on mine.

I'm not exactly sure what to make of this, but it's making lots of headlines today, since it just launched, so i figured I'd share it with you guys.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #77: February 10, 2010, 05:11:56 PM »
I finally got activated for it, still trying to figure stuff out here.

has anyone else been activated for Buzz yet?

so far I am underwhelmed.  You can tell this is a project that's going to need some time to mature.

it definitely, absolutely needs to fully integrate with Twitter. that should be priority number 1. You need to be able to see your Twitter Feed and Tweet from inside Buzz. this needs to happen ASAP, or else Buzz will go the same way as Wave did.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #78: February 10, 2010, 06:57:03 PM »
Mine activated today...  unrequested, I might add.  I disabled it because I hate Google and kick puppies ;)

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #79: February 10, 2010, 07:18:22 PM »
Mine activated today...  unrequested, I might add.  I disabled it because I hate Google and kick puppies ;)

yeah, it is a standard feature of GMail now.  I'm betting you don't have a google profile, or any other social network thing(facebook/twitter/etc.).

not everyone will want to use it, so i'm happy there is an option to disable it.

I'm starting to get it now...just wondering how well its adoption will go. Mashable already has a Buzz feed that you can subscribe to straight from their site. I'm wondering how many other sites will do the same.  and I'm wondering how exactly this fits in with Google Friend Connect.

the email alerts are annoying as freak, and I can't figure out how to turn them off.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #80: February 10, 2010, 07:22:33 PM »
I actually do have a FB but admittedly I don't use it much.  I don't see any use for Twitter (for myself at least) since anything on Twitter that I would care about inevitably ends up linked other places that I read, but I understand its utility.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #81: February 10, 2010, 07:27:50 PM »
Mine activated today...  unrequested, I might add.  I disabled it because I hate Google and kick puppies ;)

Is it really turned off? Having public aspects of my email is just frightening.

The calendar is crazy enough, it's very hard to determine that the default is total privacy.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #82: February 10, 2010, 07:29:55 PM »
Is it really turned off? Having public aspects of my email is just frightening.

The calendar is crazy enough, it's very hard to determine that the default is total privacy.

If you find anything I should be alarmed about, do post it.  I just followed the directions I found (on Google :-[) for "disable buzz"

According to this guy, that doesn't actually turn it off - http://twitter.com/NathanBowers

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #83: February 10, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »
"yes, they automatically see information from your picasa account and google reader. you have to manually disable those by following the link on the google buzz screen."

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=714ae13a0f7eb362&hl=en

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #84: February 10, 2010, 09:29:06 PM »
there's a huge flaw in Google's privacy model, by default your followers and those you follow are visible to the world, you can turn it off in your google profile:

http://www.businessinsider.com/warning-google-buzz-has-a-huge-privacy-flaw-2010-2

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #85: February 10, 2010, 09:31:25 PM »
there's a huge flaw in Google's privacy model, by default your followers and those you follow are visible to the world, you can turn it off in your google profile:

http://www.businessinsider.com/warning-google-buzz-has-a-huge-privacy-flaw-2010-2

isn't it like that in facebook and twitter as well?

if I look at your twitter account, i can see everyone you follow.

I suppose because it is Google, it's a huge "they're going to take over your brain" problem.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #86: February 10, 2010, 09:36:46 PM »

I suppose because it is Google, it's a huge "they're going to take over your brain" problem.

The problem is that it's integrated into my damn email. I want nothing about my email to be world-viewable, to even have that option to accidentally be set to world-viewable. People are understandably flipping out. This is iPad bad, not Toyota bad, but it was a huge screw-up.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #87: February 10, 2010, 09:39:42 PM »

It gets to a deeper problem with Google Buzz: It's built on email, which is a very different Internet application than a social network.

These guys get it. People have all kinds of sensitive info in their email: passwords, SSN, CC #.

Even it it's never an issue, it the illusion of violated privacy that is pissing people off.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #88: February 10, 2010, 09:45:32 PM »
These guys get it. People have all kinds of sensitive info in their email: passwords, SSN, CC #.

so since Buzz is built into your email, random people will automatically have access to your SSN and CC#? can they read your emails? or can they only read what you decide you want them to read?

I'm not understanding.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #89: February 10, 2010, 09:48:58 PM »
The problem is that it's integrated into my damn email. I want nothing about my email to be world-viewable,

I haven't seen any evidence of my email being world viewable because of Buzz. the only things that I have that are viewable are the people I follow, and they are only viewable if they have a Google Profile.

I've got roughly 25 contacts in my GMail Contacts list, and none of them showed up on Buzz. not a single one.  I'm following 5 people so far, and none of these 5 people have ever been in my Gmail or in my Contacts.

if you go to my profile, and look at the people I am following, not a single one of my gmail contacts shows up.

take a look for yourself: http://www.google.com/profiles/jmwthe4th

You'll have to explain this to my in  simpleton terms, because I simply don't understand what everyone is freaking out about.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #90: February 10, 2010, 09:49:31 PM »
Did you read either of those links?  They explain it pretty clearly along with some examples.  This is a major no-no from a company that already has people worried about privacy, imo.

I disabled everything PA and imref posted.  Google is welcome to come up with all the cockamamie ideas they want to, but doing what they've done here with buzz violates a pretty basic trust that I'm betting will have a lot of privacy-conscious gmail users looking for alternatives.  I'm personally not going to be one of them...  yet.  But you can bet I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #91: February 10, 2010, 09:53:30 PM »
so since Buzz is built into your email, random people will automatically have access to your SSN and CC#? can they read your emails? or can they only read what you decide you want them to read?

I'm not understanding.

It's the illusion of privacy violation, for the most part, for now.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #92: February 10, 2010, 09:55:41 PM »
Did you read either of those links?  They explain it pretty clearly along with some examples.  This is a major no-no from a company that already has people worried about privacy, imo.

I disabled everything PA and imref posted.  Google is welcome to come up with all the cockamamie ideas they want to, but doing what they've done here with buzz violates a pretty basic trust that I'm betting will have a lot of gmail users looking for alternatives.  I'm personally not going to be one of them...  yet.  But you can bet I'll be keeping an eye on this.

yes, I did read them.

I suppose it is just a problem for people who want to post all their personally identifiable and sensitive information (CC# SSN, etc.)on the internet and not want anyone seeing it.

maybe I'm a weirdo, but I just don't do that, in fact I actively try to avoid putting stuff like that on the internet as much as possible. I've got nothing that I wish to hide online, anything I don't want people to know simply doesn't get put online.

so I don't understand how big of a deal it is.

I suppose it is a matter of perspective.

I do find it ironic that people are willing to give their whole life story to Facebook, but if Google knows your middle name its a horrible privacy issue.

also, it's fairly easy to turn off also, so I don't get the continued hand-wringing.  just turn the damn option  off.  if you don't want to use the service at all, then turn the whole service off, and stop crying about it.

people are such babies.

I think facebook is just an updated version of AOL from 15 years ago, without the dial-up access and the free CDs, but you don't see me crying about it to anyone who will listen. I just don't use the service. simple as that.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #93: February 10, 2010, 09:56:34 PM »
It's the illusion of privacy violation, for the most part, for now.

This.  It's not that what they've actually done is so terrible in and of itself, but it's a symbolic breach of trust.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #94: February 10, 2010, 10:04:12 PM »
I suppose it is just a problem for people who want to post all their personally identifiable and sensitive information (CC# SSN, etc.)on the internet and not want anyone seeing it.

Are you sure you read the article? :|

maybe I'm a weirdo, but I just don't do that, in fact I actively try to avoid putting stuff like that on the internet as much as possible. I've got nothing that I wish to hide online, anything I don't want people to know simply doesn't get put online.

Again, I really think you didn't read the article.

so I don't understand how big of a deal it is.

But it's bad for others too. Two obvious scenarios come to mind:

* Imagine if a wife discovering that her husband emails and chats with an old girlfriend a ton.
    * Imagine a boss discovers a subordinate emails with executives at a competitor.

^^quoted from the article.  Either of those scenarios could happen very easily without the user even knowing because of the way that gmail shoe-horned buzz into everyone's gmail account and automatically put their frequent contacts as followed, and made that fact publicly viewable by default with very little warning to the user.

I suppose it is a matter of perspective.

That's true.  I wouldn't expect Google cheerleaders to understand :stir:

I do find it ironic that people are willing to give their whole life story to Facebook, but if Google knows your middle name its a horrible privacy issue.

You keep using this analogy.  Anyone giving away their life story on facebook probably isn't one of the people complaining about Google's transgressions.  People doing so are probably smart enough to use appropriate privacy settings on facebook.  Also, people CHOOSE what to reveal to the world on facebook.  That's a bit different.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #95: February 10, 2010, 10:11:44 PM »
But it's bad for others too. Two obvious scenarios come to mind:

* Imagine if a wife discovering that her husband emails and chats with an old girlfriend a ton.
    * Imagine a boss discovers a subordinate emails with executives at a competitor.

^^quoted from the article.  Either of those scenarios could happen very easily without the user even knowing because of the way that gmail shoe-horned buzz into everyone's gmail account and automatically put their frequent contacts as followed, and made that fact publicly viewable by default with very little warning to the user.

How would the first happen? Because the wife sees a name on a list of a bunch of people? is it like finding a phone number in a pocket?

You keep using this analogy.  Anyone giving away their life story on facebook probably isn't one of the people complaining about Google's transgressions.  People doing so are probably smart enough to use appropriate privacy settings on facebook.  Also, people CHOOSE what to reveal to the world on facebook.  That's a bit different.

yes they are. infact the person who wrote the article was commenting through a Facebook account.

I fail to see how I didn't CHOOSE what I wanted on my Google Profile. nothing on my Google Profile was automatic, I deliberately decided to put it there.

it's no different at all.

Offline imref

« Reply #96: February 10, 2010, 10:12:24 PM »

There's a difference, Google automatically populates your follow list with those you most often e-mail, twitter allows me the control over following people I want to follow.  I use twitter a lot differently, most of those I follow are work-related writers/bloggers, news sites, or public figures.  E-mail is far more personal.

Offline imref

« Reply #97: February 10, 2010, 10:13:37 PM »

I'm not understanding.

No, random people will know who you most frequently e-mail.  Think about your girlfriend or boss having knowledge about your e-mail contacts.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #98: February 10, 2010, 10:14:53 PM »
How would the first happen? Because the wife sees a name on a list of a bunch of people? is it like finding a phone number in a pocket?

A list of MOST OFTEN CONTACTED PEOPLE AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED BY GOOGLE

yes they are. infact the person who wrote the article was commenting through a Facebook account.

Damn you're dense tonight.  Just because the man uses a Facebook account doesn't mean that he puts his whole life on FB for everyone to see :roll:

I fail to see how I didn't CHOOSE what I wanted on my Google Profile. nothing on my Google Profile was automatic, I deliberately decided to put it there.

A list of MOST OFTEN CONTACTED PEOPLE AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED BY GOOGLE

*ahem*

it's no different at all.

It's QUITE different.  Damn man, take off the blinders.

Offline imref

« Reply #99: February 10, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »
I haven't seen any evidence of my email being world viewable because of Buzz. the only things that I have that are viewable are the people I follow, and they are only viewable if they have a Google Profile.

I've got roughly 25 contacts in my GMail Contacts list, and none of them showed up on Buzz. not a single one.  I'm following 5 people so far, and none of these 5 people have ever been in my Gmail or in my Contacts.

if you go to my profile, and look at the people I am following, not a single one of my gmail contacts shows up.

take a look for yourself: http://www.google.com/profiles/jmwthe4th

You'll have to explain this to my in  simpleton terms, because I simply don't understand what everyone is freaking out about.

When I turned on Buzz it auto-followed ten people from my gmail contact list.