Poll

After a careful review of the available evidence, I have concluded that the Nats organization is

just plain cheap
merely incompetent
cheap AND incompetent
a superbly run business
dealing with a guy who holds a grudge for reasons beyond slow pay

Author Topic: "Stinger" Steve Ray calls out the Nats for being slow pay  (Read 9392 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
C, but mostly cheap.

Certainly, there could be varying proportions of each component to arrive at the same answer.  I guess poll respondents should select the "best fit" for their own opinion.  Like, 90% cheap and 10% incompetent could fairly be answered as just cheap.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
what rosenthal reports do people keep referring to?

The ones where the Lerners wanted to know why Fat Ronnie needed 100 bats, refused to pay for minor leaguers to chew gum, and didn't pay bird-dog scouts per diem.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Certainly, there could be varying proportions of each component to arrive at the same answer.  I guess poll respondents should select the "best fit" for their own opinion.  Like, 90% cheap and 10% incompetent could fairly be answered as just cheap.

For me it's more like 70%-75% cheap to 30%-25% incompetent.

Offline spidernat

refused to pay for minor leaguers to chew gum,

I recall that piece but don't recall this part. Was this a joke you added in or was that really part of the gripe?

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
I recall that piece but don't recall this part. Was this a joke you added in or was that really part of the gripe?

It was either gum or seeds, but they didn't buy it for the Hagerstown Suns or something like that. I am in the Rosenthal archive now, but not sure it goes back to 06. I tried googling Ken Rosenthal: Nationals Disaster but got nothing.

Offline NatsDad14

It was either gum or seeds, but they didn't buy it for the Hagerstown Suns or something like that. I am in the Rosenthal archive now, but not sure it goes back to 06. I tried googling Ken Rosenthal: Nationals Disaster but got nothing.
I think the article came out in 2008 soon after the new park opened.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win

Offline hammondsnats

I think the article came out in 2008 soon after the new park opened.

yeah around then.  also how they failed to provide enough condiment dispensers, napkin distributors, tvs, etc.  especially concerning, seeing how the lerner family didn't spend all that dough to build the ballpark.  (but remember, the lerners aren't cheap!)

for the record, that stuff really doesn't concern me.  hell, watching baseball @ RFK - had all the amenities for me.  my main focus is the product they put on the field.  

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Now do tell, how would you know what B & E means ?     :)

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
The Rosenthal archive goes back to November of 2008 then oddly jumps to a 2003 article about a-Rod leaving the Rangers and then ends.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
http://msn.foxsports.com/home/story/Acta-firing-just-a-sign-of-mess-in-DC

Not what I am looking for but still interesting.

1) Kasten is dishonest
2) Rizzo is the GM in full charge

Hopefully things get better!

Offline hammondsnats

1) Kasten is dishonest
2) Rizzo is the GM in full charge
3) Lerner still hasn't proven he will spend!

Hopefully things get better!

fixed 8)

Offline spidernat

Now do tell, how would you know what B & E means ?     :)

Have you forgotten that I post from prison? That's why I don't post after a certain hour (lights out).  :lmao:

Offline hammondsnats

Have you forgotten that I post from prison? That's why I don't post after a certain hour (lights out).  :lmao:

lol

Offline mitlen

Have you forgotten that I post from prison? That's why I don't post after a certain hour (lights out).  :lmao:

Jessup (MD) or Petersburg (VA)? 

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
http://dcbb.blogspot.com/2007/05/why-does-ken-rosenthal-hate-freedom.html

Found this response to the Rosenthal column which was from 2007. The link to it takes you straight to foxsports.com so the article is not on the internet, but this does sum it up somewhat.

Offline houston-nat

Just want to point out that in my three summers of work at Walmart, I never had a paycheck come late.

Offline spidernat

Jessup (MD) or Petersburg (VA)?  

Four years ago I was transferred from Pelican Bay to the misery of CLDC (Cheap Lerner Detention Center). Unfortunately, I don't see any relief (parole) in sight. I think I prefer Pelican Bay.  :?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Three years ago I was transferred from Pelican Bay to the misery of CLDC (Cheap Lerner Detention Center). Unfortunately, I don't see any relief (parole) in sight.

:lmao:

Offline spidernat

These are awful.

--Squabbles over per diem payments to employees
--Refusal to let an employee use Fed Ex to ship files--Scouts have a hard time getting travel expenses reimbursed.
--Questioning the sunflower seed budget
--An overly bureaucratic procurement policy which slows down purchases
--Expenses for the cost of baseballs in the minors
--Questioning why Ronnie Belliard wanted another order of bats

Offline hammondsnats

Three years ago I was transferred from Pelican Bay to the misery of CLDC (Cheap Lerner Detention Center). Unfortunately, I don't see any relief (parole) in sight.

i escaped CLDC.  the only inmate to ever do so.  and while the Lerners held me captive because I knew of their cheap ways, they sent me to solitary confinement.  before i escaped i sent proof to Ken Rosenthal, Tom Boswell and other prominent baseball media writers of all the details regarding how frugal and cheap the Lerners are in their spending ways on the Nats organization.

You ask how I escaped:

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,3381.0.html

Don't know why I wasn't smart enough to look for this in the first place, but it has the article copied out.

Offline mitlen

Four years ago I was transferred from Pelican Bay to the misery of CLDC (Cheap Lerner Detention Center). Unfortunately, I don't see any relief (parole) in sight. I think I prefer Pelican Bay.  :?

CLDC must be real hard time.   Most pens are three hots and a cot.    I hear at CLDC you get two hots if the mess hall is open after the 6th inning and ya gotta sleep standing up.

Offline spidernat

A classic thread by nospin.   :clap:

I guess this is what Evo was referring to.   :|

The Lerner group, current and former employees say, require a multi-layered approval process for most expenditures and detailed explanations for outlays as minor as a Class A affiliate's $8 purchase of sunflower seeds.

Offline spidernat

CLDC must be real hard time.   Most pens are three hots and a cot.    I hear at CLDC you get two hots if the mess hall is open after the 6th inning and ya gotta sleep standing up.

Yeah the mess hall expenditures take time to clear so we starve most of the season.  :?

The Lerner group, current and former employees say, require a multi-layered approval process for most expenditures and detailed explanations for outlays as minor as a Class A affiliate's $8 purchase of sunflower seeds.