Author Topic: Joe Torre's new book  (Read 2464 times)

Offline blue911

Joe Torre's new book
« Topic Start: January 25, 2009, 04:35:19 PM »
Torre rips Yankees organization in new tell-all book

Sporting News - RSS Feed
Posted: January 25, 2009
Sporting News staff reports

Former Yankees manager Joe Torre blasts the Yankees organization in a new tell-all book written by Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci, according to the New York Daily News and New York Post.

In the book, titled The Yankee Years, Torre says Yankees GM Brian Cashman betrayed him on several occasions during Torre's 12-year tenure as the team's skipper. Torre also says third baseman Alex Rodriguez was often called "A-Fraud" by his teammates and that Rodriguez developed a "Single White Female"-like obsession with shortstop Derek Jeter, who some perceive to be Rodriguez's rival.

Torre, who left the Yankees and became manager of the Dodgers after the 2007 season, claims that Cashman never told Yankees management that Torre wanted a two-year deal to remain with the team and never spoke up on his behalf during Torre's final meeting with team brass.

The book also says that, during spring training in 1999, team doctors revealed to owner George Steinbrenner that Torre had prostate cancer, even before they told Torre himself.

Torre is expected to appear on the Late Show With David Letterman on Feb. 3, the day the book is scheduled to be released, and is scheduled to do a book-signing at the Yogi Berra Museum in New Jersey on the same day.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=510843

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Joe Torre's new book
« Reply #1: January 25, 2009, 04:41:43 PM »
The book also says that, during spring training in 1999, team doctors revealed to owner George Steinbrenner that Torre had prostate cancer, even before they told Torre himself.

That's seriously effed up :shock:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: January 25, 2009, 04:53:59 PM »
The A-Fraud part from ESPN is my personal favorite. Maybe if this came out earlier we'd have had a shot at Teix- oh well have fun spending six months a year with that locker room.

« Reply #3: January 25, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
Rodriguez developed a "Single White Female"-like obsession with shortstop Derek Jeter

Somebody clarify for me what this means.

MrMadison

« Reply #4: January 25, 2009, 05:48:57 PM »

« Reply #5: January 25, 2009, 05:54:05 PM »

Offline The Chief

« Reply #6: January 25, 2009, 06:06:14 PM »
Somebody clarify for me what this means.

It's a movie, that's all I know.

MrMadison

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #9: January 26, 2009, 01:32:39 PM »
Sounds like a nice Valentine's gift for Red Sox fans.  :icon_mrgreen:

« Reply #10: January 26, 2009, 01:35:53 PM »
The New York Post is ripping it apart. Everyone saying, "It's not true." This is NY we are talking about, land of "The Shared Gold Thongs" so it is more than likely true. :lol:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01262009/sports/yankees/a_team_blasts_torre_152096.htm

Offline The Chief

« Reply #11: January 26, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »
The New York Post is ripping it apart. Everyone saying, "It's not true." This is NY we are talking about, land of "The Shared Gold Thongs" so it is more than likely true. :lol:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01262009/sports/yankees/a_team_blasts_torre_152096.htm

Yeah right.

I'm sure there are better clubs and worse clubs, but seriously, anyone who thinks that every single MLB team doesn't have it's fair share of drama is living in a fantasy world.

« Reply #12: January 26, 2009, 01:48:17 PM »
Yeah right.

I'm sure there are better clubs and worse clubs, but seriously, anyone who thinks that every single MLB team doesn't have it's fair share of drama is living in a fantasy world.

QFT. Especially the Yanks.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #13: January 26, 2009, 02:24:55 PM »
I recall people praising Torre for taking the "high road" and not bashing the yankees organization when he left. It appears he had other intentions in mind and taking the "high road" was not one of them. Had he spilled anything then it would've spoiled the amount of money he stood to gain by writing this book.

« Reply #14: January 26, 2009, 02:28:15 PM »
I recall people praising Torre for taking the "high road" and not bashing the yankees organization when he left. It appears he had other intentions in mind and taking the "high road" was not one of them. Had he spilled anything then it would've spoiled the amount of money he stood to gain by writing this book.

I could care less either way, but I am excited about reading the dirty laundry of a baseball team not called the "Nationals."

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: January 26, 2009, 02:29:56 PM »
I could care less either way, but I am excited about reading the dirty laundry of a baseball team not called the "Nationals."

I just like basking in their misery.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #16: January 26, 2009, 02:51:30 PM »
I wonder how much coverage it will get on ESPN.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #17: January 26, 2009, 02:52:19 PM »
It should be the lead on sportscenter and they will talk about it for days ad naseum.

« Reply #18: January 26, 2009, 03:12:09 PM »
It should be the lead on sportscenter and they will talk about it for days ad naseum.

One day. I give it one day before they cave to the Yanks fans writing in saying stop writing bad things about the lowly Yankees.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #19: January 26, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
They don't stay away from negative stories about the yankees. They just love covering and will even magnify a non story to feature them. Besides, ESPn probably has more Red Sox fans working for them than they do yankee fans.

« Reply #20: January 26, 2009, 03:48:50 PM »
They don't stay away from negative stories about the yankees. They just love covering and will even magnify a non story to feature them. Besides, ESPn probably has more Red Sox fans working for them than they do yankee fans.

You're right. They probably have Red Sox fans out the ass there. Okay, I give it two days then. :lol:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #21: January 26, 2009, 03:56:55 PM »
It also sounds as if Torre has taken a 180 degree turn on Cashman. He spoke glowingly, and was very classy doing it according to some, of Cashman at his exit press conference but according to the article he is ripping him in the book.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #22: January 26, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »
It also sounds as if Torre has taken a 180 degree turn on Cashman. He spoke glowingly, and was very classy doing it according to some, of Cashman at his exit press conference but according to the article he is ripping him in the book.

Maybe facts have been revealed to him since then.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #23: January 26, 2009, 04:01:42 PM »
Maybe facts have been revealed to him since then.

Doubtful. I don't believe most of what people say in press conferences anyway (see Kasten and Lerner). That press conference was 14 months ago. I'm sure this book has been in the works for some time.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #24: January 26, 2009, 04:04:36 PM »
Doubtful.

I'm not saying he was oblivious at the press conference, but in most cases all is not known until later, if at all.  The doctors revealing his condition to Steinbrenner, for one example of something that he may have found out later about.