Author Topic: The "Former Nat Watch" Thread (2012)  (Read 52832 times)

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
Re: The "Former Nat Watch" Thread (2012)
« Reply #450: May 05, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »
I agree it's interesting - it's also weird that the prior record was only 15 games.  Feels like Danny Espinosa has beaten that record already this year.  With the way strikeouts have become more acceptable, I would have thought several guys could have challenged 15 games - Dunn, Mark Reynolds, and others.

I'm happy that Dunn is having a good year.  He looked genuinely anguished last year and I think I remember him talking about quitting or retiring if he had another year like he had last year.

I agree that this is interesting as a statistical aberration.  Adam Dunn is currently 12th all time in career strikeout as a hitter.  You expect him to strikeout often (although last year, it seemed like he had 40% of his career strikeouts in one season).  The reason why this consecutive game record is of note is it started with the first game of the season and continues.  I wonder what the record is for consecutive games played with a strikeout?  And when you look at the names ahead of Dunn on the all-time list, you would think somebody had to go like 30-35 games in a row striking out at least once (players like Reggie Jackson, Jim Thome, Sammy Sosa, Jose Canseco etc.). 

We're having fun with this on one of the White Sox message boards I frequent (southsiders.net), where some are betting he gets at least one K in each of the White Sox' 162 games this year. And, as long as he continues to produce, its really no different than popping out on the infield.