Author Topic: Nats sign 16 International FA's  (Read 3059 times)

Offline heeman82

Re: Nats sign 16 International FA's
« Reply #25: February 24, 2011, 05:51:34 PM »
If there's one thing that Washington does not need more of, it's foreigners.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #26: February 24, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »
If there's one thing that Washington does not need more of, it's foreigners.

Anyone with talent is a friend of mine.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #27: February 24, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »
:clap: :clap: Keep up the international signings.

And possibly expand into the Asian market. I hear they play baseball over there, but from how many Asians the Nats have signed, maybe they don't play the game over there after all... I guess the Nats know best where Asian players are concerned, he said with a very sarcastic tone.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #28: February 24, 2011, 07:37:42 PM »
And possibly expand into the Asian market. I hear they play baseball over there, but from how many Asians the Nats have signed, maybe they don't play the game over there after all... I guess the Nats know best where Asian players are concerned, he said with a very sarcastic tone.

I would love to see them start expanding into the Asian market.  Apparently they have scouts over there, but there has been very little activity we have heard about.  The Cubs have been signing players straight out of high school in Korea for the last few years and have an excellent SS prospect in Hak-Ju Lee that they signed in 2008.  It would be awesome if the Nationals could follow their example.  Part of the problem could be economic, as in most cases signing Asian prospects is more expensive than signing Dominican or Venezuelan prospects.

Offline heeman82

« Reply #29: February 24, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »
Anyone with talent is a friend of mine.

I meant generally speaking.

Offline RD

« Reply #30: February 24, 2011, 10:46:16 PM »
Any of the guys 19 or older are suspect as prospects. Sure, they could develop but why did it take 3+ years for them to be found?

Same reason a kid in the States can go undrafted out of high school, to #1 overall 3 years later.

Not saying any of the kids are now premium prospects, but I wouldn't completely write them off either. A lot of development can take place physically over a couple years. I get the sentiment ... the younger the better in terms of 'foreigners' but you never know.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #31: February 25, 2011, 06:27:34 AM »
The double entendres on this board have me shaking my head. 

I like all kinds of talent, too - both foreign and domestic.  Though I'm not sure about the younger=better part.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #32: February 25, 2011, 12:11:12 PM »
Same reason a kid in the States can go undrafted out of high school, to #1 overall 3 years later.

Not saying any of the kids are now premium prospects, but I wouldn't completely write them off either. A lot of development can take place physically over a couple years. I get the sentiment ... the younger the better in terms of 'foreigners' but you never know.
Where is that kid going to where he improves from nobody to star? Strasburg could do it because he was developing in college. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #33: February 25, 2011, 12:31:59 PM »
The double entendres on this board have me shaking my head.  

I like all kinds of talent, too - both foreign and domestic.  Though I'm not sure about the younger=better part.

Younger = better because all of the good prospects are snapped up by the time they turn 18. If you're not signed yet... you're either a late bloomer, or you're not cream of the crop in terms of prospects.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #34: February 25, 2011, 01:40:25 PM »
Dude I was joking. 

Double entendres = the language being used has double meanings - think about how these guys are being talked about and what else is talked about in the sense of 'talent level' and 'younger is better' and 'i love foreign ladies i mean talent'.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #35: February 25, 2011, 01:42:36 PM »
Dude I was joking. 

Double entendres = the language being used has double meanings - think about how these guys are being talked about and what else is talked about in the sense of 'talent level' and 'younger is better' and 'i love foreign ladies i mean talent'.

Oh. I get it now. I blame my lunch time daze for the mistake! :)

Offline RD

« Reply #36: February 25, 2011, 02:00:12 PM »
Well, where did Miguel Tejada and Bartolo Colon 'hide' from the time they were actually 16 to the time they signed? Just because scouts thought they were 16 when they signed doesn't matter. They were actually 18, 19, 20 when they began and made it big. With the crackdown, many of these kids couldve been claiming to be 16 a year ago, and now come out at 18 or 19.

Physical development has a lot to do with it. Personally, the summer after my junior year I went from 83-84 to 88-89. A year later,I  was 91-92. That's 8mph in 2 years.

I don't pretend to know how everything works out there. But I find it hard to believe every kid out there is either a prospect by 16 or written off forever.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #37: February 25, 2011, 02:08:07 PM »
No one said they were written off forever.

I'd imagine though, most of the guys that do make it, are 16-17 when signed and not 18 or older.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #38: March 08, 2011, 03:13:24 PM »
Nats place 26/30 in IFA signings according to Baseball America.

Not pretty.

http://nationalsprospects.com/2011/03/ifa-update/

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #39: March 08, 2011, 04:30:56 PM »
THE PLAN IS WORKING!!!  WE SPEND ON INTERNATIONAL PROSPECTS RATHER THAN MLB PROVEN PLAYERS!!!