Author Topic: WNFF Fantasy Baseball AUTOMATIC Draft League Thread  (Read 13050 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Tonight my pitchers have finally started to suck the way I thought they might when they were drafted.  2 losses, a 3rd on the way, lousy stats.  I had some rain outs and snow cancellations earlier, when other managers saw their own pitchers shelled.  I never expected to be on top, so it was funny to see myself move up at first - only because others were getting bad results.  This league is going to tighten up soon.

I've been keeping my eye on the standings and rankings...and you are right.  This is actually a pretty well distributed league.  Everybody is just a few points away from moving up or down.

Offline nats2playoffs

Chad Cordero - still viable in the automated draft league.

Yesterday, I dumped Chad in the Head-2-Head league in favor of the Cubs' Ryan Dempster.  The Cubs are now at .500 and Dempster has played well.  You lose points for walks in that league and other negative acts, so Chad is limiting.  You only start 16 in that league, so there are more free agents available.

An MLB save requires a margin of no more than 3 runs when the closer enters the game.  Maybe that's why mediocre or poor teams can get a lot of saves - they're not blowing opponents away by more than 3 runs.  For the automated draft rules, I ranked Chad 2nd after Nathan for 2006, because he had 7 wins, even though his saves dropped like a rock from 2005.  He remains on a pace to get 20 saves.  I think 5 closers have blown one less save than Chad so far. 

In the automated draft league, you START 9 pitchers.  This week 5 of us are starting 4 closers, 3 of us are starting 3 closers, and one has 2 closers.  For free agents who currently close games, there is a lot of uncertainty as to whether any of them will continue in that role.  So that puts Chad Cordero ahead of them for now, since he should still post 20 saves or more, and Acta seems to be sticking with him.

2k6nats doesn't seem to be managing his automated draft team, since he has 4 starters on the DL and others questionable to play.  Fantasy sports leagues are a lot better when everyone takes care of things like that, at a minimum.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!

(From Game Thread 5/23/07) And finally, order is restored to the universe, as both The Chief and Escobar's Injuries take points away from Senators2005, and I return to 1st place (for now) with a 1.50 lead in the Forum automated draft fantasy league.

I'll Get You...Just You Wait!

Offline DPMOmaha

If I could get just a little bit of offense from my guys, especially guys like Albert Pujols, I could make a run at this thing, but alas, right now, I have no offense.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
If I could get just a little bit of offense from my guys, especially guys like Albert Pujols, I could make a run at this thing, but alas, right now, I have no offense.
You're right in the thick of it being in third...nothing to be frustrated about: it's still a long season.  Too bad so many people gave up so early.  Cause it turns out both leagues are pretty well distributed...it's going to get alot closer and I anticipate a musical chairs shakeup coming soon in the Auto League.

Offline DPMOmaha

Oh, I know, I'm not frustrated yet, I just think it's interesting that I have a ton of pitching and just about no offense. 

Offline nats2playoffs

Pujols will be facing the Nationals this weekend.  He'll get our #8, #7, and #5 pitchers: Micah Bowie, Levale Speigner, and Matt Chico is The Man.

I've repeatedly (with PMs and open postings) begged 2k6nats to pick up his TWO FREE RESERVES, without having to drop anyone, and reclassify 2 DL players as reserves.  QUITTERS are the curse of all fantasy sports leagues; they unbalance things.  I can't tell you how many times already that other owners in this league have grabbed free agents that I was minutes away from taking myself.  71% of the season has yet to be played!

Offline DPMOmaha

71% of the season has yet to be played!

It's amazing to me that 29% has both only, and already been played this season.  If that makes any sense.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
n2p, if you're referring to me as a quitter, than you're incorrect.  I simply spend much more time with my H2H league.  And just because I don't have reserves doesn't mean I've given up.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Tragedy strikes in Vermont
Lack of fans causes Vermont team to be lost
June 4, 2007

The lackluster and scrappy Vermont team in the WNFF automated league have been downsized.  It was becoming more and more apparent that the Vermont team's fans were losing interest, as the team was regressing, and sometimes forfeiting games altogether.  As is standard procedure, the team's players will be drafted off piece-by-piece.  The draft order is random, and is as follows:

1. NatoftheLivingDead (Carolina Senators?)
2. Nats19 (Escobar's Injuries)
3. Sportsfan882
4. Senators2005 (Alexandria Dukes)
5. nats2playoffs
6. The Chief (Chiefly Cheeseburgers)

The rules are as follows: each team will post the player they want from the former Vermont team, in order of the draft, which will take place at 7:00 PM today.  You have up to ten minutes on the clock to choose.  If you won't be present, just send a list of the players ranked, and the best ranked of these players will go to your team, similar to a standard automated draft.  If you do neither, I will choose the player based on my own rankings.  It is your choice whether or not to sign the players you've drafted.

If your name was left off the draft, and you would like to be added, please post here and say so before the draft.

The list of players available:
C A.J. Pierzynski
C Brian Schweiger
1B Justin Morneau
1B Prince Fielder
2B Brian Roberts
3B Eric Chavez
SS Michael Young
LF Jason Bay

LF Dave Roberts
CF Carlos Beltran
CF Coco Crisp
RF Ichiro Suzuki
RF Jeff Francouer

SP Jason Bergmann
SP Rich Harden
SP Cliff Lee
SP Derek Lowe
SP Andy Pettitte

SP Julian Tavarez
RP Scott Linebrink
RP Fernando Rodney
RP Francisco Rodriguez

Players in bold are in my top ten list for ranking.

I will not be available for the 7pm draft but I will send you a draft list.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
I will not be available for the 7pm draft but I will send you a draft list.

Cool.  Just remember, your #1 guy will be drafted, because you have the first pick.

FYI, the draft order is because NotLD asked me about it first, then I went from worst to best.  I didn't include people that don't post here a lot, just because I didn't think they'd be there.

Offline nats2playoffs

I think it would be better to offer control of the team to a new manager to take over the team.  2.5 hours notice that players will be traded to 6 of 9 remaining players is not a good idea.  Key players are considered untradeable by CBS Sportsline anyway.  Weekly lineup changes are due Monday mornings, so there is no rush to be doing this anyway.

I have a feeling that TomTerp would do well taking over, and add to his statistical knowledge by seeing first-hand the decisions fantasy players make.  But since there are so many fantasy baseball novices (including me) in this league, anyone interested in taking over that team should know that 2k6nats' team has an excellent chance of winning the season (65% of games are still unplayed.)

The Rules regarding the drop of an entire team:
Adding and Dropping Players - Overview
Throughout the season, you may want to improve your roster by adding free agent players and releasing players that aren't performing to your expectations. With only two exceptions, there are no limits to the number of Add/Drops you can request, nor are there any transaction fees.

1. The first exception is when an owner drops his entire team or a significant number of players, also known as "team dropping". Team dropping has a negative impact on the league and as such, any owner who elects to drop his team shall be subject to immediate removal from the league. Players selected from waivers or added from free agency that were part of a team drop may be reversed at our discretion. In such move reversals, the waiver ranks will not be reset. CBS SportsLine.com's Fantasy Baseball uses weekly lineups, so any changes made may go into effect for the following week's games.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Not to sound like a jerk, but it's my team, and this is what I've decided to do.

Offline nats2playoffs

Not to sound like a jerk, but it's my team, and this is what I've decided to do.

That may be true, but any 4 managers can block all of the trades.  In addition, CBS Sportsline can reverse all of the transactions, by their own Rule:

Collusion
SportsLine does not permit two or more owners in the same league to work together to better one team at the expense of the other (for example, making one-sided trades, one team dropping highly-rated players so the other team can pick them up, etc.) If it is discovered that two or more owners are colluding, CBS SportsLine.com reserves the right to restrict all involved owners from making transactions for the rest of the season and/or to disqualify all involved owners from participating in any Fantasy Baseball league.

Some of the people in this league check in only occassionally, but you can see the Transactions list where they did things.  If you want to drop the team, it would be better to
(a) let someone else run it or
(b) leave it dormant, so the integrity of the remaining players is unchanged.

Also, BTW, there is NO mechanism for simply "drafting" one or more players from one team to another.  The only two ways of eliminating players is to Drop them or Trade them for players in return.  I currently have 4 players who are undroppable, by rule, because of their quality. 

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
:roll:

Whatever, PM me if you want the team.

Yes, I know, I was going to trade them off once they were drafted.  But fine, we'll do it your way.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Frankly...I think this is retarded....keep your players on your unpiloted team and lock them off from play.  Auctioning them off to others ruins the entire equality spread of teams for the season.  I repeat - DO NOT start trading players to other managers just because you don't feel like playing.  Or the season is destroyed and no longer fairly distributed.  If this happens...you can count me out.

Offline nats2playoffs

Whatever, PM me if you want the team.... But fine, we'll do it your way.

Sens', he's agreed to let someone else take over the team, if they PM him (I assume for the ID and password.)  I sent a PM to a member who likes stats, suggesting he try it.  But anyone who is interested in seeing what fantasy baseball is like should give it a try.  This league was set up for beginners and a lot of us have never played fantasy baseball before.  Scoring is done weekly, from Monday through Sunday, so you live with your lineup for a week. 

I actually think 2k6nats had a better chance of winning this Rotisserie league than the Head-to-Head league (where he has a 4-5 W-L record), but they're completely different scoring systems; he may be more used to that system.  In this Rotisserie league, he was about 3 points behind the leader the other day, even with 3 active players on the DL.  An active manager can make sure the DL guys are in Reserve and all players are active.  Whoever takes it over has a GREAT chance of winning.  The season is 35% over.  You're managing an All-Star team against 9 other All-Star teams.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
If somebody else takes over his team INTACT...with no funny bussiness (off balance trading to other teams) then I would be perfectly fine with that.  Since it doesn't change the talent dispertion.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
If somebody else takes over his team INTACT...with no funny bussiness (off balance trading to other teams) then I would be perfectly fine with that.  Since it doesn't change the talent dispertion.

And Tom has officially taken over the team.  No more complaining?  Good.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Agreed, I've taken over the team, even though I have no idea what the hell I am doing.  It may take me a couple of days to get up to speed and make some updates to the roster, bear with me.

Offline nats2playoffs

Clicking on Live Scoring shows the 8 scoring categories and you can see Daily Stats and change in rankings.  Those categories are the only things that matter.  (So accumulating Walks for Church did nothing to help me.)  Whatever the rankings show after the last regular game of the season determines final placements.  So we're all trying to accumulate stats and improve or maintain the averages until then.  Since no batter has hit over .400 since Ted Williams, I assume the averages will come together more as the season goes on.  Yours is the only team that never picked up its 2 free Reserve players (any position.)  That will help get you an active roster. 

Some of the other teams have DL players on their active rosters.  10 active owners is ideal, so that a handful of teams don't grab all the hot Free Agents.  You start 2 catchers, 5 OFs, 2 utility batters (any position), one each at 1B, 2B, SS, and 3B, 9 pitchers - with entirely your choice of how to mix Starting Pitchers (SP) or Relief Pitchers (RP, who may have been converted to SPs.)  The individual player page will indicate if a batter is Eligible for more than one position, or click on Eligibility on MyTeam.  I looked up all your batters - none are eligible for multiple positons.  On my team, Casey Blake can be used for OF, 3B, or 1B, for example, which gives flexibility with rosters and injuries. 

When you change your team, the computer will post a warning if you have too many reserves or too many at one position.  Changing players from Reserve to Active or from a position to Utility or vice versa fixes it.  So be careful not to add/drop players that would create a hole in a required roster spot.  There's plenty of season left, so don't worry about being... um, behind.

VORP Drive

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I made a number of roster changes today, trying to prune some deadwood and put players who are actually playing in the lineups instead.  Let me know if I broke any rules, cause this is all new to me. 

As for understanding the scoring, that's going to have to wait 'til next week.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Agreed, I've taken over the team, even though I have no idea what the hell I am doing.  It may take me a couple of days to get up to speed and make some updates to the roster, bear with me.

No worries, I spent the whole first month of the season like that, and now I'm #1 in the league for six whole days running! :lol: :P

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
No worries, I spent the whole first month of the season like that, and now I'm #1 in the league for six whole days running! :lol: :P

Oh yeah, well you're about to get schooled, cause I'm about to open a big ol' can of whuppass and, hey, does anybody know how I can find my team on-line?  And which button do I push to make them play?   :-[ :-[