Author Topic: World Series - Your Choice  (Read 1586 times)

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
World Series - Your Choice
« Topic Start: October 25, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »
 Okay, who you rooting for in the World Series - Texas Rangers or SF Giants. I am rooting for the Texas Rangers. What a story - from bankrupcy to the World Series for the Texas Rangers; and don't forget the heart of the team Nolan Ryan -that is a story in itself. So I will be rooting for the Texas Rangers.
           And who will you be rooting for: Rangers or Giants?

As a side note: Didn't it just warm you heart to see the Phillies defeated in their own ballpark by the SF Giant and the disappointed Phillies fans----what goes around, comes around... :yesyes:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: World Series - Your Choice
« Reply #1: October 25, 2010, 09:12:47 AM »
I don't really have a feel for who i will be rooting for.   I probably should root for the Giants, but I like a lot of the Rangers players - really their entire line up as well as Wilson, Oliver, and O'Day (Game 1 ALCS stunk).  I will guess this will be one where I will just watch and enjoy.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: October 25, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »
I have a tough time picking one here.  Both have performed a tremendous public service in their defeat of more formidable and storied foes.  I would like to see the NL win generally, but rooted for the Rangers when I lived in Dallas for a couple of years, and consider them my AL team, though I'm far from rabid about it.  The Giants fans were pissing me off when they were such unapologetic backers of Barry Bonds just a couple of years back, but I have nothing but admiration for the way both teams were constructed, and have performed.

I'll watch with eager interest and let my emotions run where they take me.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #3: October 25, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »
I rooted for both in the LCS... I don't know who to root for now. Neither Texas nor San Fran has ever won a World Series (the Giants did, but San Fran has not). I'll be happy either way for the winning team. My prediction is Texas in 6 though.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #4: October 25, 2010, 10:15:36 AM »
Giants. I hated the Barry Bonds Giants but the fans gave Ryan Zimmerman a standing ovation when his hit streak ended in SF last year. I also love pitching.

The turncoat Rangers are the reason I had no home team for years. They do have a fun team to watch though.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #5: October 25, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »
The thing about that is, it's completely new ownership, players, etc.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: October 25, 2010, 11:07:47 AM »
The turncoat Rangers are Bob Short is the reason I had no home team for years.

Fixed.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #7: October 25, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »
I just want it to be an exciting World Series and not have to hear every day that the ratings aren't what they use to be.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #8: October 25, 2010, 12:22:03 PM »
A combination of what Tom and Ed said.  I'd like to see 7 excellent games.  I'll probably pull for the NL just a little bit, but overall it's not that important to me who wins.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #9: October 25, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »
Giants!  Candlestick was the coolest (literally!) stadium in baseball...the new place isn't bad either. 

Offline Coladar

« Reply #10: October 25, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »
Giants, no question. First and foremost, they are the NL team. I will root for any NL team in the WS except the Phillies, since the AL doesn't play real baseball. Second, how can you not root for a team of losers and castoffs like the Giants. A team where Cody freaking Ross, a placed on waivers pickup from the Marlins of all teams, is NLCS MVP. A team where you have a long haired pothead as the pitching ace?

And finally, because the Rangers still and always will be Short's PoS franchise that's the reason I and so many others grew up without baseball. Just because he's dead and gone, its still the same franchise that killed so many hearts in 1971.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #11: October 25, 2010, 01:53:28 PM »
Agreeing with the 7 great games and probably pulling a bit for Texas due to the DC ties and the great stories of Josh Hamilton and Ron Washington.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #12: October 25, 2010, 02:01:25 PM »
Giants, no question. First and foremost, they are the NL team. I will root for any NL team in the WS except the Phillies, since the AL doesn't play real baseball. Second, how can you not root for a team of losers and castoffs like the Giants. A team where Cody freaking Ross, a placed on waivers pickup from the Marlins of all teams, is NLCS MVP. A team where you have a long haired pothead as the pitching ace?

Why would a Nationals fan root for Cody Ross? He was definitely a Nationals killer.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #13: October 25, 2010, 02:12:54 PM »
Why would a Nationals fan root for Cody Ross? He was definitely a Nationals killer.

I want him to be non-tendered and signed in Washington. that's the best way to handle a guy that slays your team.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #14: October 25, 2010, 02:25:49 PM »
I want him to be non-tendered and signed in Washington. that's the best way to handle a guy that slays your team.
There is a reason he is a Nationals killer. If he signs with the Nationals, he will kill the Nationals season just like LoDuca and FLop did in the past.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #15: October 25, 2010, 02:35:46 PM »
There is a reason he is a Nationals killer. If he signs with the Nationals, he will kill the Nationals season just like LoDuca and FLop did in the past.

:crazy: He is a solid player.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #16: October 25, 2010, 02:59:35 PM »
At least the Rangers got rich off of dealing Dorkface for Feliz, Andrus, and other pieces like Harrison and Salty.  Still it is unbelievable that the Rangers were able to waive Cruz off their roster in 2008 and no one claimed him (he went on to be PCL MVP that year). 

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #17: October 25, 2010, 03:01:11 PM »

Break even defender and about a 2 WAR player overall.  Not bad for 4.45m.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #18: October 25, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »
Not with the Marlins this year. He is the type of player that plays worse with the Nationals than he did on previous teams (Kearns, FLop, LoDuca, Olsen, etc.)

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #19: October 25, 2010, 03:03:28 PM »
Still it is unbelievable that the Rangers were able to waive Cruz off their roster in 2008 and no one claimed him (he went on to be PCL MVP that year). 

He had given them negative WAR in three stints prior to that but it is amazing that his breakout came at 28/29 (Werth/Morse?) and he's given them 10 WAR in just over 2 seasons.

« Reply #20: October 25, 2010, 03:39:16 PM »
Giants. Just can't cheer for Texas.

Go Lincecum.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #21: October 25, 2010, 03:56:39 PM »

Because he's a great player, who got claimed off waivers in the middle of the season, and has gone on to wild success? As long as he's not playing the Nationals, that doesn't factor in remotely. As bad as this team has been, who hasn't been a Nationals killer? If I started rooting against anyone thats had success against us, not only would I end up rooting for no other teams in baseball, I'd also be rooting against half the players on the Nationals at some point.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #22: October 25, 2010, 04:26:20 PM »
I remember Dibble wanting Ross to be plunked because he kept hitting home runs against the Nats.

Ah, the good ol' days.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #23: October 25, 2010, 05:52:57 PM »
He is the type of player that plays worse with the Nationals than he did on previous teams (Kearns, FLop, LoDuca, Olsen, etc.)

:lmao:

Anyway, go Giants

TIMMAH!

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #24: October 26, 2010, 11:13:06 AM »
         One more day, can hardly wait -the World Series begins - first game-it may be a slaughter by one team or the whole series may be close - can't wait to see how the Giant pitchers pan out - I mean the Texas Rangers did beat the big old bad Yankees......I wonder how many HRs Josh Hamilton will make - I wonder how many strike-outs Cliff Lee will get.......And not to leave the Giants out, how about that tough -looking closer they have - whoa.....now, Brian does look like a nasty boy....... :woop: