Author Topic: Strasburg in October..  (Read 44003 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: Strasburg in October..
« Reply #325: July 06, 2012, 10:30:24 AM »
Mark Prior was ruined by freak injuries... not by pitching a large amount of innings, by the way.

Just saying...

Who was it that was pitched into the ground as a young phenom? Was that Doc? Or were drugs his undoing, or both?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #326: July 06, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
Win or GTFO.

Yes, Einstein, that's what we are talking about. The topic: What gives you the best chance to win the WS in the window of opportunity you have in the next few years, not just this year.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #327: July 06, 2012, 10:31:13 AM »
Who was it that was pitched into the ground as a young phenom? Was that Doc? Or were drugs his undoing, or both?

Numerous guys have been pitched into the ground.

Having said that... "pitched into the ground" in the 80's is a lot different than what one would go through in the 2010's.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #328: July 06, 2012, 10:33:19 AM »
who called him anything? people are mad at management for babying him, but who has attacked stras?

Just read a few posts above and you will find the names...calling him golden boy, a little flower, etc.

That mofo is tough and competitive as hell. I can't wait until he puts up a few Cy Youngs on his mantle and shuts all the idiots up.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #329: July 06, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »
Numerous guys have been pitched into the ground.

Having said that... "pitched into the ground" in the 80's is a lot different than what one would go through in the 2010's.

Yeah

No kidding

Did I read that Walter Johnson was still pitching into the 12th inning in the World Series game in 24? Ha - awesome

Yeesh, ballplayers now are such pansies :)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #330: July 06, 2012, 10:34:19 AM »
Linty's avatar is confusing me

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #331: July 06, 2012, 10:34:21 AM »
Yeah

No kidding

Did I read that Walter Johnson was still pitching into the 12th inning in the World Series game in 24? Ha - awesome

I blame air conditioning. Everyone was tougher without it.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #332: July 06, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »
Yes, Einstein, that's what we are talking about. The topic: What gives you the best chance to win the WS in the window of opportunity you have in the next few years, not just this year.

You fall over dead in November of this year.  You want to die knowing you won it all or that you were building some mythical dynasty.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #333: July 06, 2012, 10:35:19 AM »

Ha, I resemble that remark

I managed all of 12 hours without electricity after the storm. I totally bailed and stayed in hotels

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #334: July 06, 2012, 10:38:43 AM »

I swear to god, sometimes I think linty is like 80 years old.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #335: July 06, 2012, 10:39:35 AM »
Just read a few posts above and you will find the names...calling him golden boy, a little flower, etc.

That mofo is tough and competitive as hell. I can't wait until he puts up a few Cy Youngs on his mantle and shuts all the idiots up.

I used golden boy to refer to how people are treating him, but context makes pithy responses harder

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #336: July 06, 2012, 10:40:35 AM »
You fall over dead in November of this year.  You want to die knowing you won it all or that you were building some mythical dynasty.

Come on, man. You can't manage a team or life that way. The team will be here forever. It doesn't matter if you and I are around.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #337: July 06, 2012, 10:43:08 AM »

Come on, man. You can't manage a team or life that way. The team will be here forever. It doesn't matter if you and I are around.

I wonder if tigers fans felt that way in 2006

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #338: July 06, 2012, 10:46:22 AM »
I wonder if tigers fans felt that way in 2006

Or in 2003.  :stir:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #339: July 06, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
Kilgore and Svrluga are having a Twitter Conversation about this right now

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #340: July 06, 2012, 10:55:33 AM »
Yeah

No kidding

The Big Train came in as a reliever, he'd lost both of his starts.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #341: July 06, 2012, 10:55:42 AM »
Linty's avatar is confusing me

He lost a bet to me re Bryce being called up this year so he has to rocking the SSS av for the rest of the year. My hope is that by using the av he will start to come around. There are glimmers (rays of Sunshine?) on occasion.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #342: July 06, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »
The Big Train came in as a reliever, he'd lost both of his starts.

Ah, yes, I remember hearing that now

Much obliged

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #343: July 06, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »
Kilgore and Svrluga are having a Twitter Conversation about this right now

Do people always debate things that have already been decided? Go figure. I guess we'll be taking about the election well into next year then.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #344: July 06, 2012, 10:59:49 AM »
Do people always debate things that have already been decided? Go figure. I guess we'll be taking about the election well into next year then.

Care to enlighten us on acceptable topics for discussion?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #345: July 06, 2012, 11:02:17 AM »

That's how I live my life:  Happily ever after every now and then.

I don't care about 2013.  It's 2012.  Win or GTFO.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #346: July 06, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »
LOL at "nincompoops"

Barry Svrluga ‏@barrysvrluga
As crazy as it seems, this could be Nats' best chance to win it all. Really. There's no predicting the future. I keep coming back to Caps.

Thomas Boswell Thomas Boswell ‏@ThomasBoswellWP
@barrysvrluga Yes, possible. Doubt it. Still shut down SS. Best long-term team results: case-by-case always act right then take your chances

Dan Steinberg Dan Steinberg ‏@dcsportsbog
@ThomasBoswellWP @barrysvrluga If it's "possible," though, isn't it a bit much to call the other side clowns and nincompoops?

Thomas Boswell Thomas Boswell ‏@ThomasBoswellWP
@dcsportsbog @barrysvrluga Dan, anything's "possible." "We could gamble, get lucky & have a real fun time" doesn't justify Very Bad Policy.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #347: July 06, 2012, 02:00:11 PM »
I'd rather have half a decade of regular seasons of 90+ wins with Strasburg than one WS and a rotation without him.

Great regular seasons get you to the WS. Being hot in October is the prime factor in winning one.

That's how I live my life:  Happily ever after every now and then.

I don't care about 2013.  It's 2012.  Win or GTFO.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #348: July 06, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »
go all in this year, but obviously be smart about it.  if you can get a piece that could really help for this year (w/ potential chance of helping in the future), you do it. 

it's funny that baseball people around the league expect Strasburg to pitch the rest of the year.

i mean, i understand both sides of the spectrum and there really is no right or wrong answer.  (mostly based b/c it's hindsight)

but deep down inside, i keep thinking, if the guy says he is fine and shows no signs of wearing down/tiring/arm getting stressed, it'd be really hard to shut him down.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #349: July 06, 2012, 02:28:01 PM »
but deep down inside, i keep thinking, if the guy says he is fine and shows no signs of wearing down/tiring/arm getting stressed, it'd be really hard to shut him down.

Yup.  It's easy to be rational and smart right now, but none of us even knows how it will feel when it comes down to it.  As far as I'm concerned, the fact of the matter is if the team is in a Pennant/Championship race then SS will pitch as long as his health permits.  Rizzo has never set a specific cap because the cap will be however many innings he's pitched when he stops, whenever it is. 

Sub-Prediction:  If the Nats do make a postseason run and SS pitches, BiL will be 100% on board.