Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions? (2011-2014)  (Read 171501 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Re: Nationals Park Questions?
« Reply #75: November 18, 2011, 04:24:31 PM »
I'm gonna pile on to this statement, not only was the timing poor but it seemed to lack organization...as my guest put it...."Even the people in the yellow shirts with "Ask Me" written on the back had no idea what was going on.

And I am going to pile it on even more.  Why have fanfest in the early afternoon on a weekday?  This makes adults have to leave work early and kids have to leave school early.  Please make it on a saturday or Sunday afternoon next year, it would really be a lot more convenient.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #76: November 18, 2011, 11:30:46 PM »
The STH poll came as a link in an email late yesterday afternoon.

As far as FanFest goes, I'm 100% in agreement with you that it should be moved back to the week before the Super Bowl.  But I'm fairly certain that it will be paired up with the spring training game against the Red Sox, which is a weekday, but at least it's during spring break for the kids.  Based on statements from last year I don't think that the decision makers want to be proven wrong, so they plan to continue with the idea that a FF right before the season is the best course of action.  Which will inevitably lead to us experiencing the joy of a FanFest where more than half of the attendees are wearing Red Sox caps.  The excuse for not having the Fest during the winter is lack of player availability, which is pretty lame considering how many other teams are able to pull it off.

I was traveling in western PA last week, and the Pittsburgh sports radio station was heavily promoting the TWO-DAY Pirates Fan Fest coming up next month.  From the Pirates site:

"PirateFest Highlights Include:

* Free autograph sessions with current and former Pirates players and coaches.
    * Opportunity to purchase 2012 individual game tickets for the first time beginning Saturday, December 17 at 10 a.m.
    * All attendees get a 2012 Pirates wall calendar, 2012 pocket schedule and PirateFest program.
    * Q&A sessions with the players as well as "Ask Pirates Management" with Pirates President Frank Coonelly, Executive Vice President and General Manager Neal Huntington and Manager Clint Hurdle.
    * The chance to join your favorite players in versions of Pirates "Minute to Win It" or "We Are Fam-A-Lee Feud", take on Pirates players in "Guitar Hero", play "Deal Or No Deal" and take part in Pierogie Eating Contests.
    * Youth baseball clinics, Kids Fun Zone, inflatable rides, batting cages, carnival games and more!"

If a team like the Pirates can pull something like that off, there's no reason the Nats can't do the same...

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #77: November 19, 2011, 08:40:33 AM »
I was traveling in western PA last week, and the Pittsburgh sports radio station was heavily promoting the TWO-DAY Pirates Fan Fest coming up next month.  From the Pirates site:

* Opportunity to purchase 2012 individual game tickets for the first time beginning Saturday, December 17 at 10 a.m.
    * All attendees get a 2012 Pirates wall calendar, 2012 pocket schedule and PirateFest program.
    * Q&A sessions with the players as well as "Ask Pirates Management" with Pirates President Frank Coonelly, Executive Vice President and General Manager Neal Huntington and Manager Clint Hurdle.
    * The chance to join your favorite players in versions of Pirates "Minute to Win It" or "We Are Fam-A-Lee Feud", take on Pirates players in "Guitar Hero", play "Deal Or No Deal" and take part in Pierogie Eating Contests.
    * Youth baseball clinics, Kids Fun Zone, inflatable rides, batting cages, carnival games and more!"

If a team like the Pirates can pull something like that off, there's no reason the Nats can't do the same...

I'm trying to make it up to Pittsburgh to see the Nats at some point when it matches up with our school schedule, from a fan experience standpoint they do everything right.  Take a look at the link below, they have already announced their 2012 promotional schedule, with the Nats we're always hoping that they announce the schedule before the end of February when we hold our ticket draft.  Look at how many giveaways the Pirates have, literally dozens, almost triple the number the Nats have (and with no cap at 10,000 items available).  When the Nats release their promotions schedule it is always bloated with more than half of the dates not being actual giveaways.

As far as the Pirates FanFest goes, there is proof that it can be done off-season.  The Nats always do a great job with their FanFest and STH events, it is just that the schedule change was a terrible idea, but because the decision was made at the upper management levels, no one wants to step up and tell Fluffer and/or Mark Lerner that their idea was a dud.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=pit

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #78: November 19, 2011, 09:56:08 AM »
I'm trying to make it up to Pittsburgh to see the Nats at some point when it matches up with our school schedule, from a fan experience standpoint they do everything right.  Take a look at the link below, they have already announced their 2012 promotional schedule, with the Nats we're always hoping that they announce the schedule before the end of February when we hold our ticket draft.  Look at how many giveaways the Pirates have, literally dozens, almost triple the number the Nats have (and with no cap at 10,000 items available).  When the Nats release their promotions schedule it is always bloated with more than half of the dates not being actual giveaways.

As far as the Pirates FanFest goes, there is proof that it can be done off-season.  The Nats always do a great job with their FanFest and STH events, it is just that the schedule change was a terrible idea, but because the decision was made at the upper management levels, no one wants to step up and tell Fluffer and/or Mark Lerner that their idea was a dud.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=pit

I've gone to Pittsburgh a couple of times for weekend series against the Nats and have always had a great time.  They do their regular weekly fireworks show on Saturday nights (or, at least they did then) and it's fantastic.  I am disappointed that the Nats will be playing there mid-week again in 2012, as I can only get up there for weekend games.  It's well worth the 4-hour drive.  Oh, and the good, lower bowl seats there are dirt cheap compared to Nats Park.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #79: November 20, 2011, 01:37:12 PM »
Sitting at Fed Ex Field watching the Skins and they have an HD screen almost as big as the one at Nats Park, the difference is that they actually show the game here.  What is the point of having a giant screen just to show the lineups, score, and stats?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #80: November 20, 2011, 03:05:33 PM »
What's the point of showing the game on the screen if you're there to watch it live?  If I want to watch a game on a screen, I'll save the bucks and stay home!  The Screen is also for replays but not of controversial calls.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #81: November 20, 2011, 03:08:56 PM »
What's the point of showing the game on the screen if you're there to watch it live?  If I want to watch a game on a screen, I'll save the bucks and stay home!  The Screen is also for replays but not of controversial calls.

I see both sides of this.   I'd like to see replays but don't care about the ongoing action.   My son and I saw the 'skins/Steelers a few years ago at Heinz.   My boy watched the TV the whole time.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #82: November 20, 2011, 05:57:16 PM »

There are a lot of fans sitting in the 400s (I don't know why) who could probably use an enhanced view.  Sitting in the corners there are a couple few plays a game that are not within the sight lines.  Oh, and replays, replays are nice on a big giant screen.  I know that the umpire's union demanded rules about replaying close plays, but I've seen a lot more replays in other parks, so for some reason the team is not taking full advantage of the giant screen the city provided.

What is the point of HD if they only show video about 2% of the time?  Sure it's nice having the line-ups and stats available, but those work just fine on regular old fashioned score boards.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #83: November 20, 2011, 08:28:14 PM »
When I went to the very first exhibition game at Nats Park, the scoreboard operator actually was showing the masn feed on the board, but the home plate ump immediately stopped play and it was taken off.  I believe they are not allowed to have anything but still images while an at-bat is in progress so that the batter is not distracted. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #84: November 21, 2011, 12:50:55 PM »
I think you guys scared off NATSCSMGR.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #85: November 21, 2011, 12:56:05 PM »
I think you guys scared off NATSCSMGR.

He/she probably has a real life and a job.    Probably not used to hanging out here everyday like us.    :)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #86: November 21, 2011, 02:09:56 PM »

All good except the pre-sale starting a week before Christmas. I guess some people will buy tix as Xmas gifts but most have their money tied up elsewhere.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #87: November 21, 2011, 02:54:07 PM »
He/she probably has a real life and a job.    Probably not used to hanging out here everyday like us.    :)

There are only a dozen or so actual questions...

Offline NATSCSMGR

• Greetings From Nationals Park!
« Reply #88: November 21, 2011, 05:49:45 PM »
There are only a dozen or so actual questions...

Why YES, I do have a "real life" and "a job"! (Check the moniker) Unfortunately, I don't have all of the answers to everyones questions right now, that is why I havent posted for a a day or so!  8)

Please keep your questions coming! As long as they remain civil (Please remember, I do not set policy and procedures at the ballpark) I will do my best to answer as quickly and as accurately as possible!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #89: November 21, 2011, 07:05:12 PM »
All good except the pre-sale starting a week before Christmas. I guess some people will buy tix as Xmas gifts but most have their money tied up elsewhere.

Right, offering tickets for sale before Christmas would be dumb.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #90: November 21, 2011, 08:38:18 PM »

In the past the Piratesfest has even made stops in WV. That's really trying hard.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #91: November 21, 2011, 10:16:03 PM »
In the past the Piratesfest has even made stops in WV. That's really trying hard.

Only 40 miles to Weirton WV, 60 to Wheeling.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #92: November 21, 2011, 10:35:24 PM »

I'm aware but the nats.don't really go anywhere

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #93: November 21, 2011, 10:41:09 PM »
I'm aware but the nats.don't really go anywhere

The Nats Winter Caravan has stopped in places as far away as WV and Richmond.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #94: November 22, 2011, 08:20:12 AM »

Mountaineer is close.   :)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #95: November 23, 2011, 07:27:44 AM »
Woodbridge, Bethesda ,Verizon Center; those were the good ol days!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #96: November 23, 2011, 07:37:36 AM »
Woodbridge, Bethesda ,Verizon Center; those were the good ol days!

The one event I attended at Hard Times in Arlington was very well attended, but I remember reading about some events from 2009 when Acta and a couple of the players were standing around at grocery stores with smaller crowds than the guy giving out samples of fried Spam.  I'm guessing that the Caravan was parked last year in large part due to ticket sales not being high enough to justify the cost.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #97: November 23, 2011, 03:35:49 PM »

wouldn't it make sense for the Nats to hold an event in Strasburg, VA?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #98: November 23, 2011, 03:37:10 PM »

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #99: November 24, 2011, 10:08:55 AM »