Author Topic: General Offense Discussion  (Read 26635 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: General Offense Discussion
« Reply #425: May 09, 2012, 07:28:14 AM »
We need to sign Josh Hamilton this offseason.

Keep dreaming, no chance we get anyone big this offseason, the Dodgers are going to be setting the market and Lerner will have Rizzo bargain hunting.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #426: May 09, 2012, 07:32:01 AM »
Keep dreaming, no chance we get anyone big this offseason, the Dodgers are going to be setting the market and Lerner will have Rizzo bargain hunting.

I see the Dodgers going after Hamels.

I wonder if we could trade for Hamilton ....

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #427: May 09, 2012, 07:32:50 AM »
What? Why? With what?

Offline GOON

« Reply #428: May 09, 2012, 07:32:54 AM »
Signing Josh Hamilton should be the #1 priority for this team in the off season.  We would have the best outfield in baseball with Hamilton, Harper, and Werth.  We could afford him too although with the Lerners, we will probably sign Manny Ramirez.

The Lerners sicken me sometimes.  Old Man Lerner is getting, well, old.  Surely he should want to win in the time he has left?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #429: May 09, 2012, 08:34:27 AM »
Or let LaRoche walk at the end of the year.

Hamilton, Harper, Werth

Interesting outfield. Means we could trade some of our outfield prospects for a middle infielder who can actually hit leadoff

Begging for pain down the line as Werth and Hamilton break down. I would think a decade of massive drug abuse would have some effect on how Hamilton ages

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #430: May 09, 2012, 09:02:13 AM »
lol @ signing Hamilton. I can see the 3000 page thread now. This time I'll just try not to be one of the lemmings jumping off the edge of the world after all the MLBTR rumors about our involvement don't pan out.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #431: May 09, 2012, 09:16:50 AM »
Signing Josh Hamilton should be the #1 priority for this team in the off season.  We would have the best outfield in baseball with Hamilton, Harper, and Werth.  We could afford him too although with the Lerners, we will probably sign Manny Ramirez.

The Lerners sicken me sometimes.  Old Man Lerner is getting, well, old.  Surely he should want to win in the time he has left?

In the short term heck yeah. I'd drool over that outfield but looking at it deeper it be horrible in the long term.

Hamilton is going to get a massive amount of money from an AL club that doesn't need to worry about having him as an albatross once he gets into that 3rd or 4th year in his contract. Then when you look at his injury history I doubt that he will ever play a full, uninjured season.

The better move would be to grab a guy like BJ Upton who is younger and will cost a lot less to sign. That would give us Harper/Upton/Werth in the OF for 2013 (resign Ankiel for a 4th guy) and later once Morse leaves we can slide Werth to 1st to make room for Hood and go with Hood/Upton/Harper

In the short term however we should send Espinosa and Moore back to the minors where they can get some at bats and send Tehan up to start in LF and Jarrett Hoffpauir to back up 3rd and 2nd

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #432: May 09, 2012, 09:17:09 AM »
I personally want nick swisher.  Has a good OBP and has 25 homer pop.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #433: May 09, 2012, 09:26:31 AM »
From mlbtraderumors
GMs believe Hamilton may end up seeking a shorter-term deal at a higher average annual value.

If that's the case then we better go after him hard

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #434: May 09, 2012, 09:28:25 AM »

Hamilton is going to get a massive amount of money from an AL club that doesn't need to worry about having him as an albatross once he gets into that 3rd or 4th year in his contract. Then when you look at his injury history I doubt that he will ever play a full, uninjured season.

I agree.  I don't think any National League clubs will be signing any big time power hitting first basemen again as long as the DH is around.  Everyone knows that in 3-4 years of a 10 year contract these guys are going to have to move to the DH.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #435: May 09, 2012, 09:37:35 AM »
I agree.  I don't think any National League clubs will be signing any big time power hitting first basemen again as long as the DH is around.  Everyone knows that in 3-4 years of a 10 year contract these guys are going to have to move to the DH.

there has to be a limited number of those contracts- not all al teams will offer them (royals, indians, As...) and some already have them (red sox, yankees, tigers, twins, angels). Then again, NL teams can offer those deals too (Votto and Howard come to mind)

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #436: May 09, 2012, 09:40:52 AM »
there has to be a limited number of those contracts- not all al teams will offer them (royals, indians, As...) and some already have them (red sox, yankees, tigers, twins, angels). Then again, NL teams can offer those deals too (Votto and Howard come to mind)

And the NL teams that do it are going to be killed in the long term by it. This is just the way it will be until they're is an DH in the NL or no DH in the AL.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #437: May 09, 2012, 09:46:46 AM »

Howard was only 5 years and he will be a liability by the end and Votto seems to be the outlier right?  Most of these guys are signing with AL clubs.  Fielder, Pujols, Hamilton (probably), Texiera, etc.  Maybe I'm wrong though.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #438: May 09, 2012, 09:48:50 AM »
I'm just saying that not all al clubs are in a position to offer those deals, and most of the ones that are already have one- I guess the Rangers could add one, but I can't think of any other large market al teams without one

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #439: May 09, 2012, 09:49:30 AM »
Howard was only 5 years and he will be a liability by the end and Votto seems to be the outlier right?  Most of these guys are signing with AL clubs.  Fielder, Pujols, Hamilton (probably), Texiera, etc.  Maybe I'm wrong though.

Howard was a player in decline before the deal was even offered. I think Votto will be worth it.

To me, it seems the contracts that pay off are the ones that buy out arbitration and a few FA years... not the mega deals after the guy already has 6+ years in the bigs and is looking for that last mega deal.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #440: May 09, 2012, 09:58:19 AM »
From mlbtraderumors
If that's the case then we better go after him hard

lol, haven't heard that one before! :hammer:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #441: May 09, 2012, 09:59:48 AM »
Hamilton misses a significant amount of playing time every season.  When he's 100% he's well werth whatever you pay him.  But given this teams luck no way should we sign him.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #442: May 09, 2012, 10:05:26 AM »
lol, haven't heard that one before! :hammer:

Lol, see my post. It's already started.

Start the thread: Josh Hamilton Signing Watch / WNFF poster suicide watch.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #443: May 09, 2012, 10:06:05 AM »
Hamilton misses a significant amount of playing time every season.  When he's 100% he's well werth whatever you pay him.  But given this teams luck no way should we sign him.

Hamilton and Zim could platoon the three hole, swapping whenever one gets injured.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #444: May 09, 2012, 12:59:11 PM »
With just a league average offense and our rotation, we would be one of the 2 or 3 best teams in all of baseball.

That's a sad yet scary thought.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #445: May 09, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
consolation prize - league average bullpen

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #446: May 09, 2012, 07:04:36 PM »
2B lombo
SS desi
3B Zimm
LF Hamilton
1B Morse
CF Haper
RF werth
C ramos
pitcher

that would be sick.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #447: May 09, 2012, 07:06:14 PM »
Two of those guys would never been in the same line up for more than 30 games a season.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #448: May 09, 2012, 07:22:14 PM »
Two of those guys would never been in the same line up for more than 30 games a season.

Lol so true

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #449: May 09, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »
Nady and Espinosa both got hits tonight. Worth 3 more weeks of at bats?