Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Thread  (Read 61944 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Skyrim Thread
« Reply #75: November 13, 2011, 07:23:56 PM »
I have rockjoint for some reason. Anyone know how to cure?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #76: November 13, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »
  • Activating the altar at Temples, such as the Temple of Akatosh.
  • Using any potion that has the Cure Disease effect.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Rockjoint

Now someone fix my sound.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #77: November 13, 2011, 08:15:44 PM »
have you checked the in game sound settings? have you checked the windows mixer to make sure you didn't accidentally turn down the volume fit sky rim?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #78: November 13, 2011, 08:16:28 PM »
PS for anyone so inclined, uesp.net has much better TES wikis, imo

Offline Nathan

« Reply #79: November 13, 2011, 08:24:58 PM »
have you checked the in game sound settings? have you checked the windows mixer to make sure you didn't accidentally turn down the volume fit sky rim?
Yes, in-game sound is maxed.  I mean there is some slight "clashing" sounds when fighting, but no music or any ambient sounds or anything.  I just figured it didn't really have any until I watched on youtube.

PS for anyone so inclined, uesp.net has much better TES wikis, imo
:razz:
and yes it does, but it is blocked at work whereas the wikia one is not, at least not yet

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #80: November 13, 2011, 09:14:42 PM »
Thanks.

Yeah, UESP is money.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #81: November 13, 2011, 10:15:27 PM »
I've seen a lot of people talking about how the graphics in Skyrim aren't as good as they could be, and they're correct (*coughcough* consoles*cough*) but what the game lacks in pure bling it sure makes up for with ambience and scale, especially when you realize that anywhere you can see, you can go:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #82: November 14, 2011, 12:50:37 AM »
Out for a stroll minding my own business when a dragon and a giant start fighting.  Seen here is the giant getting a face full of flames.  I actually joined the fight after a minute and managed to finish off the giant after it killed the dragon.  I got the dragon's power and a ton of loot :lol:

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #83: November 14, 2011, 05:20:05 AM »
Graphics are beautiful on console, FYI.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #84: November 14, 2011, 09:08:05 AM »
PC is still better according to every comparison I've read, but that wasn't what I meant by the console dig, just pointing out that consoles are holding back the overall advancement of gaming graphics.  The fact that I can run Skyrim on ultra max settings with a 2 year old video card is a testament to that.  Not that I necessarily mind not having to upgrade, just an observation.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #85: November 14, 2011, 09:11:06 AM »
Sure, obviously pc is gping to have better graphics. Still didnt want this type of game on PC, personally. Not because I think it is superior on console, I just dont want to sit down at my PC for four hours when I get home... After sitting at my compiter for 8 hourz at work.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #86: November 14, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »
I keep telling myself to wait until Black Friday but this thread is tempting me. :mg:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #87: November 14, 2011, 09:22:49 AM »
At least I know my console can play the games that are made for it.

:stir:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #88: November 14, 2011, 09:36:03 AM »
Sure, obviously pc is gping to have better graphics. Still didnt want this type of game on PC, personally. Not because I think it is superior on console, I just dont want to sit down at my PC for four hours when I get home... After sitting at my compiter for 8 hourz at work.

I can see that, but I could easily hook up a 360 controller if I wanted to play that way (and hook the PC up to the big screen).  Personal preference, really, nothing wrong with that :cheers:

At least I know my console can play the games that are made for it.

That you think that's a zinger only reveals your console chumpness :mg:  If you're worried about system specs, you belong on a console.  Any PC diehard would know that their rig can play anything out there because they would see to it.  Of course, considering that the graphics on the consoles is roughly equivalent to the "Low" setting on the PC (from what I've heard), I'm guessing any gaming rig built since the 360/PS3 came out could handle Skyrim just fine and still look as good or better than the console versions.

@no one in particular
Really the biggest knock on consoles for a game like Skyrim is the lack of mod support.  There was a HUGE and very talented modding community for Oblivion and Morrowind, and Skyrim will no doubt be the same.  If not for that (and the fact that I suck at FPS combat with a controller :lol: ) I would have given the console version a serious look.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #89: November 14, 2011, 09:38:48 AM »

That you think that's a zinger only reveals your console chumpness :mg:  If you're worried about system specs, you belong on a console.  Any PC diehard would know that their rig can play anything out there because they would see to it.  Of course, considering that the graphics on the consoles is roughly equivalent to the "Low" setting on the PC (from what I've heard), I'm guessing any gaming rig built since the 360/PS3 came out could handle Skyrim just fine and still look as good or better than the console versions.

To be honest... I only say that because I can't tell you the number of times as a kid how excited my brother and I would be to get a CPU game for Christmas only to not have it run on our family computer. Dad, who wasn't the most tech savy guy didn't know how to look up the CPU specs... and I was around 10 at the time... so I wasn't really aware of it either... I got burned so many times by this... it just killed my enjoyment of most CPU games.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #90: November 14, 2011, 09:43:54 AM »
To be honest... I only say that because I can't tell you the number of times as a kid how excited my brother and I would be to get a CPU game for Christmas only to not have it run on our family computer. Dad, who wasn't the most tech savy guy didn't know how to look up the CPU specs... and I was around 10 at the time... so I wasn't really aware of it either... I got burned so many times by this... it just killed my enjoyment of most CPU games.

Oh I feel you.  I'm just accustomed to defending my turf.  But the whole "as a kid" thing definitely resonates with me.  I can afford to blow a few bills on a sweet new video card now, but playing some of my favorite games on out-of-date hardware back in the day was definitely painful.  Much more so than now, in fact.  Any cheap computer now will run a pretty solid % of games decently provided you're willing to dial down the settings a bit.  That's the flip side of "console-itis" - I get to play Skyrim for PC at max settings without having to buy a new video card.

Wasn't UMD here a while back asking about running Skyrim on his laptop?  I would be interested in knowing what kind of settings he's playing on to get acceptable performance.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #91: November 14, 2011, 09:53:20 AM »
On a game-related note:

Don't freak with bears.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #92: November 14, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »
On a game-related note:

Don't freak with bears.

Uhh yeah. Those and Sabertooth Tigers or whatever mess my world up.

*Sees bear, ponders when my last save point was.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #93: November 14, 2011, 12:51:28 PM »
As stupid as this is, I can't help finding it hilarious:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #94: November 14, 2011, 12:55:48 PM »
As stupid as this is, I can't help finding it hilarious:

Isn't there a stealing or shoplifting skill or something? It seams more like a bug than a design feature if all you have to do is put a bucket, pot, or basket over someone's head.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #95: November 14, 2011, 12:59:45 PM »
Isn't there a stealing or shoplifting skill or something? It seams more like a bug than a design feature if all you have to do is put a bucket, pot, or basket over someone's head.

Sneaking is a skill, yeah.  I think pickpocketing is too.  I'm not sure if it's a bug or an easter egg, but I doubt Bethesda will patch it.  TES games have always had a sandbox mentality, so most people will probably see this as a "feature" that you can either take advantage of or not, if you really want to role play "properly".

Got that from this list of tips btw:

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/mb8la/massive_list_of_all_the_tips_and_tricks/

Lately been seeing many posts asking/listing tips about the game. I decided to create this one so all of you could post them here for other to see. I will update the OP with each tip posted so people don't have to scroll through the whole thing. Hopefully as we get more tips and tricks in here I can put them in different categories for easier viewing

NOT TRYING TO KARMA WHORE JUST WANT OTHERS TO HAVE EASIER ACCESS TO THESE KINDS OF THINGS

Here to start us off, some of the tips I saw posted.

THE SPRINT BUTTONS ARE: PC=Alt, Xbox=LB, PS3=L2, you can also sprint on a horse

SAVE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE F5 IS THE QUICK SAVE KEY

You can rebind all of your keys in the control menu

If you give your companion a torch they will use it at night-LINK

If you want to keep sprinting don't let your stamina run out fully as it takes a few seconds to starts regenerating

If you see oil on the ground there is usually a lamp you can knock on the ground to set the oil on fire

You can dismount a horse in the water and then mount it again to have regular speed-LINK

You can equip a pickaxe and "hit" the ore vein to start mining, likewise you can dualweild them to mine faster

Waiting (Press T) will fill up your Magika/Health/Stamina bar instantly

Try reading every book you see, the bigger the value of it, the more likely it has a free skill up or a quest inside waiting for you

To hide your UI while taking screenshots type in tm in console (~), then type it again to bring it back

Dragons will only land if you are in a clearing

You can take torches off the wall to make the room more dark if you are trying to sneak

When attacking with bow from far away press the sneak button to do double damage, even if you are not a sneaky character

Most items that you put inside your home will stay there, so you can safely decorate it however you like

Using Unrelenting force will stop any enemy casting/channeling

Every major city stables has a wagon which you can use to fastravel to other cities you've never been to

In most major holds there is a map with little flags on it that you can use to mark new places on your map

You can buy a dog form a breeder outside Markath for a small price

Your horse can climb up mountains that you couldn't on foot.

You can take keys from your companions to have access to their house

If the NPCs are asking you about your health ("feeling sick?" or "You feeling alright?") that means you have a disease, use a shrine to cleanse it, or craft a disease curing potion and drink it

Don't sell all of your magical weapons since you can disenchant them and level up your enchanting skill that way

You can place baskets on peoples head and then steal their stuff without them noticing -LINK

You can hotkey your favorite items by opening the favorite menu (Q), highlighting the item and click 1-8 buttons on your keyboard

Fire does the most raw damage,Frost and Shock do the same amount of damage, but ice drains stamina and slows the enemy, and Lightning drains magicka.

You can revive every living creature exceptdragons with the Reanimate spells in the Conjuration tree

Making Iron daggers and Leather Bracers is a quick way to level up early smithing, use them for enchanting skill ups or sell them to a vendor for speech skill ups

When you increase your stamina you also increase your maximum carry capacity by 5

By holding the "Use" key you can move items around.

When you trade armor to your companions they automatically equip it if its better then what they currently have.

Resting in a bed will give you rested status, allowing for bonus XP gain, restin in your own bed (inside your house) will give you a well rested status allowing for even more bonus XP

By wearing Amulet of Mara (which you can buy in Riften for 200g) you have an option to marry people, marriage provides all sorts of benefits for you. For more info on marriage and list of spouses SEE HERE

To see locations of quests on your map select them in your journal and hit M

To discover new dragon shout words talk to the Argenier the Greybeard leader in the High Hrothgar and he will give you a small side quest and direct you to a new world wall one a time.

You can fast travel while over encumbered with a horse

Alright guys let's get this going, hopefully we can get it to the top so many other people will see this and learn something. I will probably update this tomorrow morning or later tonight.

UPDATE: Updated some new stuff might consider starting to categorize a few, there are a bunch of tips related to controls and such I gotta go to sleep now, will update everything today after school, Keep this post up I want to get as many tips as possible before it falls off. Maybe even get it in the side bar...

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #96: November 14, 2011, 04:28:09 PM »
Uhh yeah. Those and Sabertooth Tigers or whatever mess my world up.

*Sees bear, ponders when my last save point was.

I hate bears. I generally try to avoid them at all costs. It is comforting to know that at some point I will be able to destroy them without effort.  :lol:

I also hate the lockpicking. Is there some kind of secret to lockpicking? I had no problem in Oblivion, but I'm terrible at it in Skyrim.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #97: November 14, 2011, 04:29:54 PM »
Funny, I think lockpicking in Skyrim is vastly improved over Oblivion's infuriating system.  It's basically just a matter of moving the pick around until you find the right spot, then holding A or D (or whatever the console equivalent buttons are) to open the lock.  until you find that sweet spot, just tap on A/D a little to "test" spots.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #98: November 14, 2011, 04:38:19 PM »
Wasn't UMD here a while back asking about running Skyrim on his laptop?  I would be interested in knowing what kind of settings he's playing on to get acceptable performance.
When I talked to him on steam he was running medium settings.  That was launch day though, he may have changed.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #99: November 14, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »